PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Action > Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Subscribe    Donate

Old 04-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
JaxTH

jaxth's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
How to beat the game in under an hour.

This is my playthrough of Sonic 2. It's not my best run (I made tons of mistakes and even died once, which is actually good for you people who are gonna watch this...) but I still beat the game in under an hour. Included in this is beating Emerald Hill Zone Act 1 in under 35 seconds and also beating Chemical Plant Zone Act 1 in under 45 seconds.

I don't go for any Chaos Emeralds in my run. If you want those then refer to these two videos:

Watch. Learn. Enjoy.

Friggin SEGA fanboy FOR LIFE!!!

My Achievement Guides & Roadmaps:

Retail
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Arcade
Space Channel 5: Part 2 Sonic CD Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 NiGHTS Into Dreams... Sonic the Fighters
JaxTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
xianizradx

xIan Iz Radx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1
Thanks!!!!

xianizradx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
b3nnyth3gr33k

b3nnyth3gr33k's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Word of Mouth
I might get some points and get this i got sonic 1 and like it so this is only what..400ms cheap for a good game

b3nnyth3gr33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
xianizradx

xIan Iz Radx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3nnyth3gr33k View Post
I might get some points and get this i got sonic 1 and like it so this is only what..400ms cheap for a good game
I only got this cause it was the deal of the week back in December sometime for 240 points.

xianizradx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:55 AM   #5
Chathams Finest

Chathams Finest's Gamercard
Great videos! Was just what I needed to get that 200 gs!!!
Chathams Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:59 AM   #6
JaxTH

jaxth's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chathams Finest View Post
Great videos! Was just what I needed to get that 200 gs!!!
Thanks. Glad I could help.

Retail
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Arcade
Space Channel 5: Part 2 Sonic CD Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 NiGHTS Into Dreams... Sonic the Fighters
Old 05-07-2010, 11:15 PM   #7
Iv AJay vI

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Is it really doable to beat it in an hour? I'd like to get the full 200, but it seems kinda ridiculous.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
Tuggerbone

Tuggerbone's Gamercard
Very beatable in under an hour, just run your first stages fast and it'll give you a great buffer. I just finished the regular game, did my 2 chaos emerald achievements first, then went back and got my conquering time and finish the game, and 2 fast time achievements. The 4 stage vs. achievement is easiest done by yourself with 2 controllers.

Still working on the Xbox Live Racer achievement. If anyone is trying to boost, feel free to message me and we'll knock it out.
Tuggerbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
Jayzilla636

Jayzilla636's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iv AJay vI View Post
Is it really doable to beat it in an hour? I'd like to get the full 200, but it seems kinda ridiculous.
im about to find out,lol i did the time achievements in the first so we'll see

63 Completed (29 Retail, 29 Arcade,
5-DLC)
Jayzilla636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
Nozza XBA

SnozzyBear's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Road Map - Platinum   Micro Guide - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 3   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
STH was pretty much the first mjor game I ever played.. I did play earlier stuff but the Sega Megadrive was my first console!

I'll definitely be getting the Sonic games at some point before Episode 4 comes out!

Nice run throughs btw!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
Jayzilla636

Jayzilla636's Gamercard
hey objective its definitely doable just got it with plenty of time to spare. mainly do the levels within 30 sec to 3 min minimum. with the exception of metropolis act 3 being about 4 min or so,lol.

63 Completed (29 Retail, 29 Arcade,
5-DLC)
Jayzilla636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #12
Avenged Remains

Avenged Remains's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Green Thumb - Bronze   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   XBA Promoter   Submit - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Bronze   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
I just got this achievement and I must say it's easier and harder than I expected. I thought I may struggle to get under an hour but I easily finished it in under 45 minutes. However, it was difficult/frustrating at times because I was trying to use a speen run video as a guide and the person who recorded it was far better than me.

Here are the videos that I used:
Part 1 -
Part 2 -
Part 3 -

This guy finished the game in 18:12 (according to his video) so if you aim for at least quicker than 3x his times on each level you should make it.

Personally, I aimed for 2x and managed it on every level except for Metropolis Act 3. He used little glitches in the game to get past certain parts more quickly and in that level I just couldn't seem to get the glitch to work. However, as long as you've had good times for the other levels you should be fine.

Also, take everybody else's advice of saving often. I must have been saving every 5-15 seconds in game time, just to make sure I was running through the level as quickly as I could while sticking as close as possible to the time of this guy who again, is far better than me. In fact, he's probably far better than anybody else ever. It's quite unreal
Avenged Remains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:05 AM   #13
Dimensive

Dimensive's Gamercard
Just finished this one up, basically you just have to finish each level in under 3 minutes. Which for most is very easy, I ended up doing it in around 40-45 minutes, while messing up quite a lot. Save every time you get a hit on the final 2 bosses, as you will have no rings so you don't want to keep dying/restarting and adding more time.

Dimensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #14
Tyger7
Moderator and Guide Staff

Send a message via AIM to Tyger7 Send a message via MSN to Tyger7 Send a message via Yahoo to Tyger7 Send a message via Skype™ to Tyger7

tyger7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Gold   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   5,000 Posts   Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - Tyger7   The Helping Hand   Referrals - Silver   Road Map - Diamond   Achievement Guide - Diamond   Staff - Collectibles Guide Team   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
Thanks for posting this, this is much more helpful than the regular speed runs posted in the guide (like 18 min one). Yours is more realistic and you go routes most people can handle. This will help let people feel more at ease while they play instead of reloading a save 20+ times trying to do it perfect like the video for 18 minutes. That video is not a guide, but more of a show-off video which is extremely hard to mimic. I stopped at Chem Plant 2, as at the start he seems to be able to have this door open (I have no clue how, I tried exactly what he was doing) and just by moving to the left, was able to spin down instead of straight through a different route. Again, I tried for maybe 45 minutes with no luck. So instead I just beat the level regular. Thanks for posting this video, it serves as a reminder to aim for maybe 45-50 minutes, not 18 which is quite difficult for anyone to follow.
The things people say to get to 5 posts...

Xbox360 games I have
http://darkadia.com/member/tyger7/library
Tyger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #15
Avenged Remains

Avenged Remains's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Green Thumb - Bronze   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   XBA Promoter   Submit - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Bronze   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger7 View Post
I stopped at Chem Plant 2, as at the start he seems to be able to have this door open (I have no clue how, I tried exactly what he was doing) and just by moving to the left, was able to spin down instead of straight through a different route. Again, I tried for maybe 45 minutes with no luck. So instead I just beat the level regular.
I had the same trouble, but as I was convinced that I wouldn't be able to beat the game unless I was very close to his time I kept on trying. I tried doing the level without that shortcut and it took ages.

I think it just had something to do with how fast he got there. Like, I think it's in 7 second on the game clock or something that he reaches that door, and when he pushes against it he can get through. I was making it there usually around 3/4 seconds after him and it never opened. Eventually I did it in the same time and the door opened saving me loads of time on that level. Obviously if you got the achievement without that though it was unnecessary
Avenged Remains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #16
Raltor

Raltor's Gamercard
Thanks mate, was stuck on metropolis 3 and its been so long since i played this before forgot how to kill 2nd last boss...gave me problems back when i was 8
Raltor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:43 AM   #17
JaxTH

jaxth's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger7 View Post
Thanks for posting this, this is much more helpful than the regular speed runs posted in the guide (like 18 min one). Yours is more realistic and you go routes most people can handle. This will help let people feel more at ease while they play instead of reloading a save 20+ times trying to do it perfect like the video for 18 minutes. That video is not a guide, but more of a show-off video which is extremely hard to mimic. I stopped at Chem Plant 2, as at the start he seems to be able to have this door open (I have no clue how, I tried exactly what he was doing) and just by moving to the left, was able to spin down instead of straight through a different route. Again, I tried for maybe 45 minutes with no luck. So instead I just beat the level regular. Thanks for posting this video, it serves as a reminder to aim for maybe 45-50 minutes, not 18 which is quite difficult for anyone to follow.
Thanks! I appreciate it.

Retail
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Arcade
Old 08-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #18
Sparx.

Young Forever x's Gamercard
Damn. I beat Sonic 1 in under an hour without using any guides so I thought it'd be the same for Sonic 2. I was wrong. Now I have to beat the game all over again.

Completed 38 Retail Games (1000G)

Completed 27 Arcade Games (200G)
Sparx. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #19
forgottennn
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xianizradx View Post
I only got this cause it was the deal of the week back in December sometime for 240 points.
they had some sort of deal and i only got it for 80 msp, i dunno it was in the deal of the week with 5 games
forgottennn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #20
Lonsta DaMonsta

Send a message via AIM to Lonsta DaMonsta

Lonsta DaMonsta's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Gamerscore League Season 7 Winner   A+ Thread Award   Word of Mouth   Submit - Silver   NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Thanks for this video. It helped me out 100x more than the 'speed video' posted in the guide. That guy was doing way too much for me to handle.

First legit 1000 in Rockstar Table Tennis
First person to have 1750 in three different games
Lonsta DaMonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #21
JaxTH

jaxth's Gamercard

Thanks!

Glad I could help.

Retail
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Arcade
Old 11-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #22
xxDAMRONxx

xxDAMRONxx's Gamercard
Thanks for this
Old 01-01-2011, 12:23 AM   #23
hypermetalsonic

HyperMetalSonic's Gamercard
Wish they had the time appear on the save..
Does the time accumulate if you reload saves and keep retrying areas? Or is it an in-game time

Don't know how I didn't earn this on my first play through when I went for the Chaos emeralds.. Earning the emeralds burned time, but thought playin as Super Sonic would save me alot of time in other levels?
meh
hypermetalsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #24
Gn0meslinger

Gn0meslinger's Gamercard
well if you wanna get the achievement the easy way.........All you have to do is play a level and get a good time then press pause and save. Rinse and repeat for every level. To beat the game in under an hour you will have to beat every level in 3 minutes, but you should not exceed 3 minute times tell after oil ocean. I just got the achievement doing this. It is not the legit way, but it is the easy way for people who aren't crazy good and sonic. This way if you happen to die just load from the beginning of the level.
Gn0meslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #25
The Vibe Reaper

Thanks for the vid! Kinda choppy though. Sometimes I can't tell what's going on.
The Vibe Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:03 AM   #26
ooo0ooooooo0ooo

Send a message via Skype™ to ooo0ooooooo0ooo

OMFG its a Bear's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Pretty good vid man. Very helpful for people who aren't familiar with the levels.

Thanks for the sig Xerofox!

75/119 Xbox LIVE Arcade games Completed. Iss nice!

ooo0ooooooo0ooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #27
rikoruss31

CeIlar Door's Gamercard
now that you can save anywhere you wish, this game is a breeze to beat in under an hour, with or without a guide. Its a little sad that i had to wait over a decade to beat this game on 360, but i never could get past that final robotnik boss. i guess having the internet could've helped
rikoruss31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #28
Czaleo

Czaleo's Gamercard
Jax is a sega beast!

Thanks a lot Jax (not just for helping me with the MP) but for posting this gem on here, I was on youtube, shifting through all the speed runs for this game. And as stated by other users on here, most of those aren't very practical for the conquering time achievement. Watching your videos were great. Although you'll probably never see this post. lol. I'll see you on TA.

Czaleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #29
DougTheJoker

DougTheJoker's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimensive View Post
Just finished this one up, basically you just have to finish each level in under 3 minutes. Which for most is very easy, I ended up doing it in around 40-45 minutes, while messing up quite a lot. Save every time you get a hit on the final 2 bosses, as you will have no rings so you don't want to keep dying/restarting and adding more time.

You should've saved it after every stage just in case, then if you didn't get it you could've loaded the game and tried it again.
DougTheJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:57 PM   #30
davhuit

HieiTF76's Gamercard
@DougTheJoker : Seems he played on Genesis, because the menu to choose "Sonic", "Tails" or both is not like that in the XBLA version.

Personally, I thought I would be getting in in my first playthrough (did it in 57 minutes) but it seems the game count the time spent in the special stages (the 57 minutes was special stages excluded).

Well, I'll just redo it later without doing the emeralds.

Edit : Redone, and got it. It's wasn't hard as I did the game twice in a row, so it was still fresh in my mind.

Last edited by davhuit; 05-31-2013 at 02:12 AM.
davhuit is offline   Reply With Quote