Subscribe    Donate

Old 04-05-2014, 05:24 PM   #31
Rymt

Omisake's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
Hmm, if my memory serves me correct, I think you mean The Flood, as that's the one that followed the events of Halo: Combat Evolved.

First Strike was the events between Halo: CE and Halo 2, I believe, where they mention how Johnson survived the destruction of the Halo installation and it follows Fred, Kelly, Linda, and John through some mission aboard…I think it was a Covenant ship or something. I forget :/

Anyways, you need to get around to Ghosts of Onyx! It's really good, and has a really touching moment in the middle of the book. Really good stuff as you follow Kurt and the Spartan-III's.

I never got into the Halo comics, but I'm sure one day I will. I need to finish all the main books first.
You're right dude, it is The Flood. I always mix the two of them up. I've read The Flood at least 10 times. Finished First Strike recently too. Had it for over a year but never finished it until 2 weeks ago. I would always get decently far in (halfway or less) and school would have it interrupted and by the time I would come back, it had been too long and forgot everything that happened in it.

And guess I'm going to pick up Ghosts of Onyx next. I'm pretty sure it's at Chapters for around $15.

Thanks to Cpt Slaughter for the amazing sig!
Rymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:37 PM   #32
BiggD
PULL IT TOGETHER, 343!

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 15,000 Posts   Community Gaming - Silver   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymt View Post
You're right dude, it is The Flood. I always mix the two of them up. I've read The Flood at least 10 times. Finished First Strike recently too. Had it for over a year but never finished it until 2 weeks ago. I would always get decently far in (halfway or less) and school would have it interrupted and by the time I would come back, it had been too long and forgot everything that happened in it.

And guess I'm going to pick up Ghosts of Onyx next. I'm pretty sure it's at Chapters for around $15.
Hard to keep track with all the greatness between all the books. I'm the same way with The Fall of Reach, I've read it about 7 times from beginning to end. It's a wonderful prequel to everything. Hell, I'm gonna go back and read it after I finish The Thursday War.

Whenever you do get around to reading Onyx, let me know what you think!

Thanks to Xerofox for the romantically rambunctious signature!

Currently Playing: Halo: The Master Chief Collection
~ HALO IS LOVE, HALO IS LIFE ~
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #33
Lord Montymort

brianx88's Gamercard

Dragon Roost Island - Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

Main Theme - Metal Gears Solid 2: Guns of the Patriots

Last edited by Lord Montymort; 04-05-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Lord Montymort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #34
Ham Woopan
Praisin' the Sun

Ham Woopan Jr's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   1,000 Posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Off the top of my head:

Max Payne series
Kingdom Hearts series

I do love mah emotional piano/acoustic guitar scores.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #35
Rymt

Omisake's Gamercard

Quote:
Hard to keep track with all the greatness between all the books. I'm the same way with The Fall of Reach, I've read it about 7 times from beginning to end. It's a wonderful prequel to everything. Hell, I'm gonna go back and read it after I finish The Thursday War.

Whenever you do get around to reading Onyx, let me know what you think!
Eventually I will get around to reading it but first I have to read Contact Harvest and The Cole Protocol. Had them both for slightly more than 2 years and still haven't read them.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #36
x MOOSE 187 x

Send a message via ICQ to x MOOSE 187 x Send a message via AIM to x MOOSE 187 x Send a message via MSN to x MOOSE 187 x Send a message via Yahoo to x MOOSE 187 x Send a message via Skype™ to x MOOSE 187 x

x MOOSE 187 x's Gamercard
MGS
Far Cry (Especially Blood Dragon)
Diddy Kong Racing
many, many more.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #37
Rymt

Omisake's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiK999 View Post
Oh where to start...

- Halo 3 - Never forget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmuFBK26TtE
g04
The nostalgia is rushing in. My god, I miss this game so much. I know people always say, "Go play it then" but it's not the same and it never will be.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #38
Secrecy

Secrecy 30's Gamercard
Full soundtrack of Bionic Commando is awesome. Very inspiring while playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wltIWFy7WyA
Secrecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #39
dakisbac

Send a message via Skype™ to dakisbac

Mister Dak's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Gold Medal   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Minty   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Third Place   Staff Club - dakisbac   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - AOS Puck
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
I am quite fond of the Halo soundtracks, but the best soundtrack still goes to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Hyrule Symphony

As for individual songs, I especially like the MJOLNIR mix (Halo 2 theme):

I also like the main theme from Mirror's Edge:

dakisbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #40
Rymt

Omisake's Gamercard

I just remembered this one. Right outta my childhood. Need for Speed 2 Romulus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBO_366ngIc

Old 04-06-2014, 02:41 AM   #41
Schimpie

Schimpie1312's Gamercard
They might not exactly be the greatest soundtracks ever but there are two things which really impressed me when I first heard them during playing the game.

-Halo: Combat Evolved
-Borderlands, to be more precise: I was stunned by the throat singing.

Also, I've got the soundtracks and really love the material. Can't say anything about how well it fits the game as I never played it.
Schimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #42
aspeedomodel

speedo model's Gamercard
Max Payne 3 had a stellar soundtrack. Spelunky was great as well.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #43
TriRock

TriRock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 2   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 1   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 2   You're DOOMED Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - The Pants Party   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 2   You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 2
Total Awards: 44 (more» ...)
Brütal Legend, of course.

Achievement #1000: Seek and Destroy - #10000: Fully Evolved - #20000: Data Security

Overachiever: 56 points - 16 Staff Clubs - C/F Clubs 11-6-2

TriRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #44
YungAssasin32

Send a message via Skype™ to YungAssasin32

ii x Etchells X's Gamercard
GTA: San Andreas, whenever I hear a song from that game it brings back instant memories.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #45
Rymt

Omisake's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungAssasin32 View Post
GTA: San Andreas, whenever I hear a song from that game it brings back instant memories.
Don't know what your favourite radio station on there was but I loved Radio X. That's the best one and would flood me with nostalgia.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #46
Heldengeist

Heldengeist's Gamercard
Fallout 3
Fallout: New Vegas
Skyrim
GTA: Vice City
GTA: San Andreas

Mad props to Audacious for the awesome sig!

Heldengeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:06 PM   #47
JME

Chaos Theory obviously. Assassin's Creed soundtracks have always had top quality soundtracks. City of/Flight through Jerusalem, Ezio's Family, Echoes of Roman Ruins are my highlights from the series but even without Jesper Kyd the soundtracks have still been great. Bastion and The Last of Us also had fantastic soundtracks.
JME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #48
Lord Goblinboy

Lord Goblinboy's Gamercard
For me it's easily down to Anarchy reigns' soundtrack, or Asura's Wrath.

Both are absolutely fantastic!
Lord Goblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:39 PM   #49
RIP Flipyap

Ramza4Lyfe's Gamercard
For me, any Halo game!
RIP Flipyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #50
Rymt

Omisake's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JME View Post
Chaos Theory obviously. Assassin's Creed soundtracks have always had top quality soundtracks. City of/Flight through Jerusalem, Ezio's Family, Echoes of Roman Ruins are my highlights from the series but even without Jesper Kyd the soundtracks have still been great. Bastion and The Last of Us also had fantastic soundtracks.
My favourite thing about Bastion was the constant narration the guy would be doing about everything you as a player would do. Fantastic idea and it was executed perfectly.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:58 AM   #51
Pokenut

Stig Assassin's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Corrupt x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - * Clueless *
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
In most games I end up not paying attention to the music, or it wasn't memorable.

Any Halo: Marty O' Donnel is a genious.

Mirror's Edge theme: A simple beat, but it's stuck in my head years after playing.

Portal credit songs: How can you not love these?

I'm sure Destiny will be on this list after it comes out.
Pokenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:21 AM   #52
Rymt

Omisake's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokenut View Post
In most games I end up not paying attention to the music, or it wasn't memorable.

Any Halo: Marty O' Donnel is a genious.

Mirror's Edge theme: A simple beat, but it's stuck in my head years after playing.

I'm sure Destiny will be on this list after it comes out.
What really showed how Martin O'Donnell is a true genius is the transition from Halo 3 to Halo 3: ODST. Halo 3 was very action-like music that would fill you with adrenaline but in ODST it was very sad, and mysterious and lonely. When anyone can do those 2 complete polar opposites, what more can you say?

Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #53
Toams07

Toamss's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokenut View Post
This times infinity

Thanks to DEG23 for the azaming Trials Evo sig!

Thanks to Rajeanero for the fantastic Joker avatar!
Toams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #54
Fragarach Luin

Fragarach Luin's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Community Gaming - Bronze   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - DeekBoy
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
First off, how did even a thread about video game soundtracks get pulled into a discussion of the many effulgent wonders of the Halo novels? Yes, I read The Fall of Reach, I read The Flood, I read First Contact and I read The Ghosts of Onyx. I wasn't particularly struck by the amazing music in any of them (nor the writing, but that's not my point).

On topic, I'm consistently impressed at the high quality of music present in many, many video games. I think that I'm safe in saying that on average, it's less likely for a video game to misstep with its soundtrack than a movie. Just ask Skyfall, which had a horrible cacophony in lieu of music and still performed well. In a video game, if the music is bad, it will drive you insane as you hear it looped for hours upon hours.

Some of my favorite soundtracks have already been listed here, but I'll mention a few that I still listen to.

Legend of Mana: As I've said many times before, this game has it all, except meaningful combat difficulty. Naturally that includes an amazing soundtrack from the woman who scored Kingdom Hearts, Yoko Shimomura. The final boss theme and the resolution are particular standouts.

The Silence of Time
The Tree is Whole Again

Hitman: Silent Assassin: Jesper Kyd does a lot of work that I enjoy, but I don't find it particularly inspired much of the time. The soundtrack for Assassin's Creed II is a great example of fun music that isn't very good. It's essentially pop music performed by "classical" instruments. Hitman: SA I believe is the pinnacle of Jesper Kyd's real talent: creating so-called "soundscapes" which create an ambience of foreboding. Also check out the OST for Contracts, which is a bit too sparse in parts for my taste, but good nonetheless. Blood Money was shite.

Main Title
Trouble in Russia

TL;DR: Just click on the links for some good music.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #55
Rymt

Omisake's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragarach Luin View Post
First off, how did even a thread about video game soundtracks get pulled into a discussion of the many effulgent wonders of the Halo novels? Yes, I read The Fall of Reach, I read The Flood, I read First Contact and I read The Ghosts of Onyx. I wasn't particularly struck by the amazing music in any of them (nor the writing, but that's not my point).
Because when me and BiggD get together and talk about something, chances are it will be about Halo. Either how terrible Reach was or how amazing the rest of the series is and how much deeper Halo is than just another video game.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #56
Rajeanero

Rajeanero's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Rajeanero   Artist of the Month   Staff - Graphics Team   Subscriber - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Mass Effect series
Bioshock series
Dark Souls
Enslaved
Beyond Good & Evil
Alan Wake

This all are masterpieces, above all the soundtracks from the Mass Effect and Bioshock series!

If you're using one of my created signatures/avatars/banners please save them on your computer and upload them by yourself.
For example here, here, or here. Don't use my image link. Just in case, that one of my upload sites are down
or i delete the image from the server. This will avoid trouble for both of us. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakez123 View Post
Raj is still the best though, no one beats Raj, he's like the Chuck Norris of signatures.
Rajeanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:53 AM   #57
Spade.

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place   Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeanero View Post
Mass Effect series
Bioshock series
Dark Souls
Enslaved
Beyond Good & Evil
Alan Wake

This all are masterpieces, above all the soundtracks from the Mass Effect and Bioshock series!
Nice choices. I thought Alan Wake had a superb soundtrack. When they threw in Space Oddity in the Nightmare credits my day was made.

Last edited by Spade.; 04-08-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Spade. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:03 AM   #58
BiggD
PULL IT TOGETHER, 343!

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 15,000 Posts   Community Gaming - Silver   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymt View Post
Because when me and BiggD get together and talk about something, chances are it will be about Halo. Either how terrible Reach was or how amazing the rest of the series is and how much deeper Halo is than just another video game.
Pretty much

Thanks to Xerofox for the romantically rambunctious signature!

Currently Playing: Halo: The Master Chief Collection
~ HALO IS LOVE, HALO IS LIFE ~
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:09 AM   #59
Slaughter XBA
Lost

Cpt Slaugh7er's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Pretty much
I think he means how amazing Reach was and how terrible Halo 2 was.

Listen to the music that plays during Vendrick's boss fight. It's so simple and sad that it made me feel sorry for him even when he gutted me.

My Gallery
| XBA Blog
I put the laughter in slaughter.
Slaughter XBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:52 AM   #60
Jakez123
Steins;Jake

Jakez123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Free Agents - First Place   Community Gaming - Bronze   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 20 (more» ...)
I like the final boss theme from Fire Emblem: Awakening a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz0X2ybZ3a0

Beating Dirty in Killer Instinct is as easy as 123
Jakez123 is offline   Reply With Quote