Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
JORDAN K 95

Send a message via Skype™ to JORDAN K 95

JORDAN K 95's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
why has gaming become boring?

hello everyone, its been a while since ive posted on this site, (except for the occasional minecrft post)

but the past 6 or so months for me have been really boring, in terms of gaming. im not here to rant or to complain, i just want to discuss, and see if anyone else has had the same thing.

playing games just isnt fun, most of the time, i look at the hunderds of games n my shelf, and literally dont want to play any of them. most of the time i would rather sit down and do nothing than play a game (seriously). i still buy games, i still look forward to games, but i play them for a week or so then just get bored of them. i played titanfall for a week (when it released) and got bored of that after a week. havent played xbox (xbox one) at all since then, except today. when i watched battlefield hardline beta footage, it really got me in the mood to play some battlefield, i played one game of bf4 and got bored and turned my xbox off.

im looking forward to e3, looking foward to seeing this years titles being announced etc., i will buy them all, hardline, borderlands, cod, but will hardly ever play them. after warching borderlands pre sequel gameplay, it got me hyped, so i bought all of the headhunter packs to play on borderlands 2, so i could have a new experiance. played that for 20 minutes and got bored. everytime a map pack comes out for ghosts or battlefield, i get excited and download it, but get bored after playing them.

as for my 360, i play minecraft and gta. thats it, great tiles are free every 2 weeks, i download them all of the time, but still havent played any since 'shoot many robots'.

the question is, why do i buy games and DLC, and look forward to games, which i rarely will play on. people ask 'why did you buy xbox one, when you dont play it'. well 1. because obv when i bought it i planned on playing it 2. if i had a 360 i would constantly be thinking its rubbish and comparing it to xbox one, i.e playing battlefield i would think 'these graphics suck, i could be playing this on xbox one with better graphics and more players in a game so i would have more fun'

i see a trailer for i game, and think that looks good, ill buy it knowing i wont play it much, but have to buy it because if i dont ill be thinking, 'why dont i have this, it looks awesome'

does anyone have this problem, that they just dont find gaming fun anymore. i hope one day it will be fun again, ill have loads of games to play, like the games with gold games, i still have battlefield campaign and assasins creed 4 to complete (i still get excited for the new assassins creed games when ive barely played black flag).

Thanks for the sig Gackt

BF4 RANK:
JORDAN K 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
Jardinho

Jardinho's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Green Thumb - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   GRID 2 Award   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
It's because you want pussy.

/thread

If I had these sorts of skills, I'd work for the CIA. Easily.
Jardinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
JORDAN K 95

JORDAN K 95's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardinho View Post
It's because you want pussy.

/thread
lol, but i have that already..

sadly thats not the case. :/ :L

Thanks for the sig Gackt

BF4 RANK:
Old 06-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
BiggD
PULL IT TOGETHER, 343!

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 15,000 Posts   Community Gaming - Silver   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
Didn't read the entire OP, but there's times where I'd rather not go online for an extended period of time, whether it's because I'm bored or not.

You're not alone and gaming doesn't have to be your only hobby.

Thanks to Xerofox for the romantically rambunctious signature!

Currently Playing: Halo: The Master Chief Collection
~ HALO IS LOVE, HALO IS LIFE ~
BiggD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
The Pants Party
You're Not Invited

Za Pantsupati's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff - Front Page   Road Map - Diamond   Staff - Super Moderator   Micro Guide - Platinum   15,000 Posts   Staff Club - Never Final   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - The Pants Party   Staff Club - AOS Puck   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold
Total Awards: 21 (more» ...)
You have shit taste in games?

I played Titanfall for two months straight. Child of Light gave me a good week between the two consoles. PvZ is a good laugh when my friends are on. About to start Fable Anniversary and still need to play South Park.

But yeah, I go through waves with everything. I'll get way behind on comics than binge on two months' worth. Novels I can read five in a row and then nothing for months. Anime I'll watch like ten complete shows and then only airing stuff for a few months.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
The Pants Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
Starkweather

StarkweatherXC's Gamercard
I am the opposite i have found these past 6-8 months that i have played a lot of variation of games and genres that i have never gotten bored. I mean if your taste is genre defined then i guess it can get stale but if like me you can go from DR3 to Wolf Among Us to South Park to Killer Instinct to Last Of Us DLC to Shadowrun:Returns on PC to PVZ to Titanfall to Thief to Child Of Light to Watch Dogs i could go on and on. I find it hard to get bored in gaming.

But on the other hand you can take a break from games and do other things.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
iHappySlapped

SayYoToPotato's Gamercard
I wish I had more time to spend on games. The pitfalls of working full time!

Stay trigger happy <3

Playing through:
Forza Horizon (360)

iHappySlapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
Corrupt.
Guide Team Lead/Moderator

Corrupt XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff - Moderator   Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Platinum   Thought, Precision and Planning Club - Tier 1   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Achievement Guide - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold
Total Awards: 48 (more» ...)
Take a break. We all go through phases of not wanting to do something we like. It is the law of diminishing returns.

For example, you love chilli. You eat it every day, and it will eventually become boring. You have a break for a few days as it bores you. Then you eat chilli again, it is nice for a couple of days, then becomes boring. You take a break for a few weeks, then you will eat it everyday for a long period. And then the cycle repeats.

Or something...
Corrupt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #9
Skorpion XBA
Guide Team

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   The Mighty Duck Face   Staff Club - troy0891   Micro Guide - Silver   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff - Guide Team   Achievement Guide - Gold   Subscriber - Silver   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal
Total Awards: 39 (more» ...)
I get the same way sometimes. There have been games that I hated and went back to several months later and loved it and vice versa. I'll buy a game that I enjoy but at times becomes boring. I will achievement hunt like crazy and then take a break because I'm tired of it. I haven't touched my Xbox console in two weeks as a matter of fact. Sometimes we need a break.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
Braiiins

Braiiins's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Like most people and hobbies, you can get burnt out by games. There are constantly new games coming out and I'd you're interested in only 20% of new games and games already released, that's a lot of games and can get overwhelming.

You still buy games, which can be a hobby in itself. It can be fun to buy something new and see it on your shelf, just don't go overboard and get more than you can store or spend more than you have.

I'll usually play fewer games during the summer.
Windows Phone: 68
Braiiins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
EmporerDragon

EmporerDragon's Gamercard

This is why having multiple hobbies is important, so you can shift your focus when burnout starts to occur.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:37 PM   #12
Barad

Location: Bristol, England Occupation: Undergraduate Status: Doing a raid
Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Emerald   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
Maybe you just have too much to play, that you don't feel like playing anything. Like others have said though try to do some other activities and gaming might become desirable again.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: THE CREW

Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #13
Skorpion XBA
Guide Team

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   The Mighty Duck Face   Staff Club - troy0891   Micro Guide - Silver   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff - Guide Team   Achievement Guide - Gold   Subscriber - Silver   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal
Total Awards: 39 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barad View Post
Maybe you just have too much to play, that you don't feel like playing anything.
I actually agree with this. I had a massive DVD collection and when I went to go watch something I never had anything I wanted to watch.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #14
Metabolic XBA
Run, you clever boy...

Metabolic XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   Staff - Community and Events Team   Submit - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Silver   Free Agents - Second Place   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner
Total Awards: 20 (more» ...)
I have the opposite problem, I never get bored anymore lol. Someone asked me the other day what I do when I am bored, I thought about it for a minute and couldn't even remember the last time I was. I have a backlog in everything I like to do, comics, games, movies, tv, books. So if I don't feel like doing one thing at any given point I always have something else to go do.

**Thanks to Rajeanero for the sig**

Metabolic XBA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:05 PM   #15
Rymt

Omisake's Gamercard

You're definitely not alone. I also am quite bored of games now and that's why I have really cut down on how much I play but school does that already whether I want it to or not. Just take a break from it. I only play a few hours a week on weekends and that's it. Probably like 4 hours a week right now but that will get cut down even more because exams are right around the corner.

Thanks to Cpt Slaughter for the amazing sig!
Rymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:10 AM   #16
fvkasm2x

Y2Kasper10's Gamercard
Sometimes you find a game and you spend hours upon hours every day playing it. For months!

Sometimes you can't find anything at all that peaks your interest. Cycles!

My Games for sale on Ebay (or here): http://www.ebay.com/itm/251742835386...84.m1555.l2649
fvkasm2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:51 AM   #17
Aceman417

Aceman417's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
I know exactly how you feel. I'll play games constantly, then I won't feel like playing anything, even though I do want to play xbox.
The amount of times I have spent over half an hour looking at my shelfed games, my achievement list and my games on my console just to decide I don't want to play anything.
It's even worse when the game fucks up and doesn't save for some reason, meaning I have to do it all over again.
Most recently happened in watch dogs. Save file is fucked because I got killed in online tailing, so I can't progress any further or play online. I want to play the game, but cbf restarting it.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:15 AM   #18
Rymt

Omisake's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman417 View Post
I know exactly how you feel. I'll play games constantly, then I won't feel like playing anything, even though I do want to play xbox.
The amount of times I have spent over half an hour looking at my shelfed games, my achievement list and my games on my console just to decide I don't want to play anything.
It's even worse when the game fucks up and doesn't save for some reason, meaning I have to do it all over again.
Most recently happened in watch dogs. Save file is fucked because I got killed in online tailing, so I can't progress any further or play online. I want to play the game, but cbf restarting it.
You have no idea how much time I waste doing this. Going into "My Games" and not doing anything except looking at what game I want to play and the look at my achievements to see what game I should work on next. But in the end, it's always the same crap. I decide to play some Halo 3 online or Call of Duty online.

Thanks to Cpt Slaughter for the amazing sig!
Rymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:30 AM   #19
Fire Hawk D

Fire Hawk GYJS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Gold   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pants Party View Post
[...]I go through waves with everything. I'll get way behind on comics than binge on two months' worth. Novels I can read five in a row and then nothing for months. Anime I'll watch like ten complete shows and then only airing stuff for a few months.
I'm like this, too. With everything BUT video games. I'm on an achievement streak since December 2012 and don't feel myself letting up anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metabolic XBA View Post
I have the opposite problem, I never get bored anymore lol. Someone asked me the other day what I do when I am bored, I thought about it for a minute and couldn't even remember the last time I was. I have a backlog in everything I like to do, comics, games, movies, tv, books. So if I don't feel like doing one thing at any given point I always have something else to go do.
lol Exactly! I just give a strange look when people say they're bored. You have television, books, video games, friends, and the font of all human knowledge in the form of the internet on just about every device and you're bored? How is-...I don't even-...

I haven't been bored in ages. Nothing to do? Not likely, I have hundreds of games still to play on Xbox 360 alone! Don't feel like that? Netflix or Hulu Plus. Something more quiet? Kindle on my phone. Grinding a tough achievement? YouTube videos or podcasts in my ear. Not in the house? I have my daughter to play with (heck, I do this even while I'm doing one of the other things!). Honestly, not sure how people get bored overall.

Last edited by Fire Hawk D; 06-04-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Fire Hawk D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #20
JORDAN K 95

JORDAN K 95's Gamercard

well, an amazing e3, so many good games coming out later this year.

my plan, is to take a nice long break, i have college work to finish off in the next 2 weeks (then im finished), then its summer, probably working 5 days a week for the summer period. then in august / september time, when work is less busy, i will start gaming again.

i plan on completing bf4 campaign, assassins creed 4 campaign, borderlands 2 DLC. basically, everything that has been on hold for a while, will be completed.

that may take around a month or 2, to catch up, but around christmas time, hopefully ill be back into gaming, playing far cry 4, the crew, forza horizon 3 etc.

i just hope it dosent get boring again. i will be spending around 400 on games for christmas time, i dont want them to just sit on the shelf whilst i cba playing them.

Thanks for the sig Gackt

BF4 RANK:
Old 06-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #21
sanger

Sangriaz's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I have/had this same problem for a long time. I have over 500 games in my backlog, so it is kind of overwhelming to me when deciding the next game to play.

I decided to start getting rid of some of my games that I probably will not play. Some games have been sitting on my shelf for 5+ years and untouched. Hell, Battlefield 3 was bought the first week of launch, and is still in shrink wrap.

Maybe reducing the amount of games in your library is something for you to consider as well.
sanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #22
FatalDeathSG45

BloodScourge88's Gamercard

It pains me to say this, but my interest in console games is slowly waning. I'll still play consoles, don't get me wrong. I'll still be playing Borderlands 2, World of Tanks, Halo and all of that. It's just that lately I haven't been buying that many new console games. In fact, I've been selling games that I either don't play much anymore, not terribly fond of or have diminishing online communities. After being introduced to PC gaming with Doom, I've begun appreciating PC gaming a little more. I'm not making the switch to PC, but I'm gonna try to balance PC and consoles. While I don't play the 360 as often as I did before, I'm not giving up on consoles.
FatalDeathSG45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:56 PM   #23
DaveBodom

dave bodom's Gamercard
Just take a break, i found i was loading up my 360 for a good few weeks and not really doing much on it, then i tried a random game and i'm back hooked going through my backlog, it comes and goes, phases happen.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:07 AM   #24
MabusScarab

Mabus Incarnate's Gamercard

Sometimes it takes something completely odd and out of character for you to play to get you out of your funk.

I remember when I was in a bit of a rut and out of the blue bought the first Deadliest Catch game preowned for like 6 dollars. I got horribly addicted to it, ran like 14 crab seasons and still to this day have no clue why I liked it so much. I had the same reaction to playing a Rapala Fishing Game, again, something I thought I would never play, touch, consider, and I loved it because it was completely different from anything I did before and that "new" experience made it entertaining and addictive.

Try something random that you would never consider giving a second look before, regardless of how dumb or childish it seems. Grab a fishing or tennis game, or go for something like Viva Pinata. I bet it helps.
MabusScarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:35 AM   #25
datmanydocris

Location: Middletown, PA, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe A

DatManYdocris's Gamercard
If gaming ain't fun anymore, you're clearly not playing the right games.

Live long and obey Wheaton's Law
My Games Collection
Retail Completions - 5 Arcade Completions- 2 W8/WP8 Completions - 6 Steam Completions - 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt. View Post
Not even ninja'd, hit by a slow moving thug...
datmanydocris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:00 PM   #26
JORDAN K 95

JORDAN K 95's Gamercard

thilst im not doing much in the months leading towards christmas (september - november) ill set my day routine.

it may sound strange giving myself times to play certain games, but it will help my huge backlog, and get everything completed.

i did a similar thing for mw3 and black ops 2 multiplayer. i HATED the multiplayer for both games, yet still reached the highest rank in both of them. and people would always say 'why do you play it then, if you hate it' the answer, because i bought it. spending 100+ on both games (+season passes) it felt stupid to just play the campaigns and a bit of zombies, so to make my moneys worth i played multiplayer.

despite hating both games so much, i set myself xp targets every day. for mw3 if i remember correctly it was 1.75mill to get max level for a prestiege, so i set myself a target of 250k xp every day, that way i would prestiege every week! some days i would get more than 250k, sometimes even 500k, i would go on good game sprees, and actually find playing multiplayer fun (sometimes)

blacks ops 2, multiplayer was a bit better than mw3s, i found it a lot easier to level up on this than mw3 (probably because it WAS easier to leve up) and found myself levelling up very fast, and to make my moneys worth i slowed down my pace, otherwise id end up hitting max level after 2 months, meaning eveything would be boring after that.

back to the point. there are some games in my shelf i really dont want to complete, and some i just cant be bothered with. but while theres nothing else to do in my schedule ill play them.

my plan will be like :

Mon:
1 sequence in assassins creed 4
150k in ghosts

Tues:
1 sequence in assassins creed 4
100k in battlefield 4

wed:
Borderlands 2 DLC
150k in ghosts

etc.

it may seems stupid, but if i dont make myself an action plan (to force myself to play them) i wont. if i dont have an action plan they will sit there on the shelf doing nothing, so to make my moneys worth of the games and DLC, and to not make myself bored, ill follow my action plan.

thank you to whoever read all of this! its taken me a while to type!

Update: i plan to get all of my backlog out of the way in time for christmas, then enjoy new games like destiny, bf hardline, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datmanydocris View Post
If gaming ain't fun anymore, you're clearly not playing the right games.
well, no

the only games i play at the moment are minecraft and gta, but like i said, i look forward to shooters like battlefield, and racing games like forza. i can picture myself playing them reaching high levels / ranks and having fun, but they just get boring after a week.

Thanks for the sig Gackt

BF4 RANK:

Last edited by JORDAN K 95; 06-14-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:21 AM   #27
StayonTarget
Mr. Purple

Send a message via Skype™ to StayonTarget

TheStayonTarget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - troy0891   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Platinum
Total Awards: 20 (more» ...)
It's probably because you don't have a good group of friends to play with. I'm in a similar position. I love coop and playing online with friends but I'm stuck playing/grinding solo.

Thanks to Rajeanero for the sig!
StayonTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:38 AM   #28
Barad

Location: Bristol, England Occupation: Undergraduate Status: Doing a raid
Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Emerald   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayonTarget View Post
It's probably because you don't have a good group of friends to play with. I'm in a similar position. I love coop and playing online with friends but I'm stuck playing/grinding solo.
You keep rejecting me, and it hurts.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: THE CREW

Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #29
JORDAN K 95

JORDAN K 95's Gamercard

i also hope to start posting on this site again.

i used to post on here loads and discuss games/events, but found it boring eventually.

after my long break i should be back to the old me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayonTarget View Post
well, that would explain why i like GTA

Thanks for the sig Gackt

BF4 RANK:
Old 06-15-2014, 11:46 PM   #30
Slaughter XBA
Lost

Cpt Slaugh7er's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I'm in a similar boat, but to a lesser extent. I find myself not enjoying gamin nearly as much as I believe I should. The last game I thoroughly enjoyed playing was Dark Souls II (and before that it was Deus Ex: Human Revolution). None of my good friends play Xbox anymore. They either play GTA on PS3 (which sucks because I hate the game and PS3 in general), or have moved on to PC. It's really sad.

However, I only lose faith in gaming when I'm not working on any game. For example, I had a good amount of fun with Sants Row: The Third, the last game I completed. Since I completed it, I have been killing time with Dark Souls II. I am going to get Titanfall this week, and expect that to be my summer game.

It makes me wonder, am I addicted to video games? My mind sways me in the direction of yes. I highly suspect I will move on or take a long hiatus from gaming when I hit my 50000 goal, or at least take a long break.

My Gallery
| XBA Blog
I put the laughter in slaughter.
Slaughter XBA is online now   Reply With Quote