PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Games
Subscribe    Donate

View Poll Results: Which Console Gen Have You Enjoyed The Most?
1st (Odyssey/Telstar/Pong consoles/etc) 0 0%
2nd (2600/5200/Odyssey 2/ColecoVision/Intellivision/etc) 0 0%
3rd (NES/7800/SG-1000/Mark III/Master System/) 2 2.63%
4th (SNES/Genesis/Mega Drive/TurboGrafx-16/Game Boy/Game Gear) 16 21.05%
5th (N64/PS1/Saturn/3DO/Jaguar/GBC/Virtual Boy/WonderSwan) 20 26.32%
6th (GameCube/Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox/GBA/N-Gage) 13 17.11%
7th (Wii/PS3/360/DS/PSP) 25 32.89%
8th (Wii U/PS4/One/Ouya/3DS/Vita) 0 0%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
LickableLemons7

LickableLemons7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Best of 2014 Challenge Club - Tier 1   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - DEG23   Micro Guide - Bronze   Staff Club - DeekBoy
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
Which Console Generation Have You Enjoyed the Most/ Is There A "Definitive" Gen?

I'm mainly curious to see what people on this site think of the previous generations of consoles and which provided quality games/general content/fun times all around. This poll could be heavily influenced by the age of a person and which systems they started with but I think this could be fun to reflect on. I'll throw in the 8th gen as well if people are actually enjoying it during these early stages.

I primarily grew up with the PS2 during my teenage years and I look fondly back on the sixth generation but in the last few months I find myself interested some 4th gen titles. I haven't found a SNES or a Sega Genesis/Mega Drive in decent condition for myself just yet but I've been enjoying watching speed runs of certain games like Aladdin, Super Castlevania IV, the Super Star Wars series, Turtles in Time or Secret of Mana. I've also been picking up games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV for the DS along with FFV and VI for the GBA. Something about the music from 4th gen games makes me happy. Reading up on the competition between Nintendo/Sega and the culture that surrounded those times makes for some nice entertainment too.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
Spade.

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place   Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
I've been alive and playing games since 5th, if I'm not mistaken (PS1). My first console was a Ps1, though I never really had that many titles for it. I did have THPS 2 and Spyro YotD, though, and that entertained me for hundreds of hours.

Sixth generation, though, is where I started the real fun, with a PS2. Need For Speeds, Burnouts, newer Spyros, NFL Street 2, Flatout 2, and lots of others, are just the most fun I've ever had, quite honestly. Not to mention all of the PS1 games I could still play because go backwards compatibility!

I'm going to have to say my definitive gen would be the sixth. So many good games or young and old, and was less about business as gaming is now.
Spade. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
BiggD
16 Days Until Witcher 3!

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Master Chief Collection Club - Tier 3   Road Map - Platinum   Achievement Guide - Platinum   15,000 Posts   Community Gaming - Silver   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)
Fuck. I accidentally voted 6th gen when I meant 5th.

The amount of joy I got outta the N64 and PS1 back in the day, and even recently when I used to go back to them 2-3 years ago, is unmatched. N64 especially with Resident Evil 2, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Pokemon Stadium, Paper Mario, Donkey Kong 64, Golden Eye 007, & Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

5th gen, for me.

Thanks to Xerofox for the romantically rambunctious signature!

Currently Playing: Metro: Last Light Redux
~ HARLEY IS LOVE, HARLEY IS LIFE ~

Last edited by BiggD; 07-04-2014 at 03:51 PM.
BiggD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
otaking live

Otaking Live's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Silver Medal   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Silver   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
4th here. I was such a rabid fan in the SNES days. One could argue that I was more involved during 5th but I can't go against my SNES love.

otaking live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
LickableLemons7

Awards Showcase The Best of 2014 Challenge Club - Tier 1   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - DEG23   Micro Guide - Bronze   Staff Club - DeekBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade. View Post
Sixth generation, though, is where I started the real fun, with a PS2. Need For Speeds, Burnouts, newer Spyros, NFL Street 2, Flatout 2, and lots of others, are just the most fun I've ever had, quite honestly. Not to mention all of the PS1 games I could still play because go backwards compatibility!

I'm going to have to say my definitive gen would be the sixth. So many good games or young and old, and was less about business as gaming is now.
*Nods head in approval*

Sixth gen would be a close second for me after 4th. Great improvement in 3D over the 5th gen. Love my PS2. I still put in Shadow of the Colossus from time to time and get new games for it every now and then.

Shame that the Dreamcast didn't last that long though.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
Dante XBA
Let Hate Prevail

Send a message via Skype™ to Dante XBA

Dante XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
I'd have to say 4th. I still remember the day my mom brought home our SNES, the two controllers and the box of games that it came with - I couldn't have been more than 5 at the time, but it was delicious - someone at work had been kind enough to donate all of it to us!

Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Super Mario World, UniRacers, Top Gear, Jet Jaguar, Toy Story... damn, I played that thing pretty much whenever I could.
"When you're beaten down the most, when you're on the very edge of oblivion, you have to ask yourself: 'What left is there to fight for?' The answer is simple, really. You fight for yourself. You fight to survive. That's all life is. Fight to be the strongest, no matter what it takes. But always remember what it takes to get there." --The Devil Hunter
Dante XBA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
Death Metal Jim

Death Metal Jim's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - bplayak   Staff Club - Kairi   Staff Club - Yunder   1,000 Posts
Definitely the 4th gen for me. It was the golden age of gaming IMO.
Death Metal Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
PiixL

Send a message via Skype™ to PiixL

ImPiixL's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
The gen of the 360 has been my favorite by far. Its where I grasped gaming as a hardcore hobby and its the gen that I had the best experience with so far.

Xbox One: Minecraft & State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition

Arcade/DLC: N/A

Signature & Avatar Created By KillerBEA
PiixL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
fvkasm2x

Y2Kasper10's Gamercard
NES
Sega Genesis
Xbox 360
Atari

Those are the 4 that I played the most and have the most memories of.

My Games for sale on Ebay (or here):
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251858037197?...84.m1555.l2649
Gamerscore earned by year-
2010: 4,925
2011: 16,283
2012: 18,012
2013: 58,067
2014: 100,556
fvkasm2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #10
BiggD
16 Days Until Witcher 3!

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Master Chief Collection Club - Tier 3   Road Map - Platinum   Achievement Guide - Platinum   15,000 Posts   Community Gaming - Silver   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2
Wow. I can't believe there's not more love for N64.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #11
Barad
Maximum Club's Warrior

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Emerald   Road Map - Emerald   Micro Guide - Gold   Submit - Diamond   Staff - Maximum Clubs Director   Community Gaming - Diamond   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   VGO Team Award - Bronze   GRID 2 Award   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer
Total Awards: 25 (more» ...)
6th. Only started gaming on the PS2, five fun years later the toxic 360 came out ruined everything.

Become a Subscriber | Become an Ambassador | Become an Artist | Community Gaming

50,000G in Racing games - 28/03/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragarach Luin View Post
Barad's phone contains no games, only the numbers of various supermodels.
Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #12
otaking live

Otaking Live's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Silver Medal   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Silver   XBA Promoter
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
Wow. I can't believe there's not more love for N64.

I only really have memories of Goldeneye, Mario 64 and Mario Kart. I know there was more but....

Old 07-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #13
Explicitlyy

DRKR HALF's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by otaking live View Post
I only really have memories of Goldeneye, Mario 64 and Mario Kart. I know there was more but....
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Gauntlet Legends
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1
Super Smash Bros

Those were my favorite

I guess I'm the only one who voted for 5th gen.

Taking a break. Playing Runescape instead. RSN: Red Wings

Last edited by Explicitlyy; 07-04-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Explicitlyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #14
Morbido

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Started gaming on the 3rd gen (Master System II was first console).

But im gonna vote for 5th gen as being the best. PS1 is my favourite console and to me the leap between gens was and still is the biggest.

To many good PS1/N64 games to mention but ill just say to the younger folk here you missed out on having you and three friends huddled round a small TV playing Goldeneye
Morbido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #15
BiggD
16 Days Until Witcher 3!

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explicitlyy View Post
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Gauntlet Legends
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1
Super Smash Bros

Those were my favorite

I guess I'm the only one who voted for 5th gen.
I'm all for 5th gen. I just accidentally voted for the wrong option cause I'm stupid

Old 07-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #16
Spade.

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place   Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickableLemons7 View Post
*Nods head in approval*

Sixth gen would be a close second for me after 4th. Great improvement in 3D over the 5th gen. Love my PS2. I still put in Shadow of the Colossus from time to time and get new games for it every now and then.

Shame that the Dreamcast didn't last that long though.
Also, Xbox for Ninja Gaiden and Halo CE and 2.

Should've remembered that.
Spade. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #17
FatalDeathSG45

BloodScourge88's Gamercard

As cool as the 7th generation is, I'll always think of the days of the PlayStation 2 and original XBOX as my favorite generation of gaming. Half-Life, Halo, Red Faction, Ratchet & Clank, Timesplitters... ah, good times.

Bullseye: "I don't miss, you know. Too bad you can't say the same."
Punisher: "Hard to miss a guy with a target on his forehead."
FatalDeathSG45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #18
Explicitlyy

DRKR HALF's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
I'm all for 5th gen. I just accidentally voted for the wrong option cause I'm stupid
Haha gotcha. Guess we're the only smart people here

Taking a break. Playing Runescape instead. RSN: Red Wings
Explicitlyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #19
The Duke of Darkness

The Allslayer's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Xbox One Maximum Clubs Apprentice   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
6th gen, Devil May Cry, God of War, Ninja Gaiden and thats just the tip of the iceberg.

I've been gaming since 4th how did that happen?
The Duke of Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #20
LickableLemons7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade. View Post
Also, Xbox for Ninja Gaiden and Halo CE and 2.

Should've remembered that.
Every system has some great games, FatalDeathSG45 mentioned a few more cool sixth gen stuff.

When it came to the original Xbox everyone was singing praises to Halo CE (myself included) and Fable, Forza, or KotOR but there were some other quality exclusives available like Ninja Gaiden. I've been discovering a few more for myself like Shenmue II (also on Dreamcast), Panzer Dragoon Orta, Breakdown, and Phantom Dust.

I heard Advent Rising was pretty good and Orson Scott Card helped write the script for it but I never played the game for myself. At least it's available on Steam now (it has been for a while though).

There were some nice Japanese exclusives too like N.U.D.E. and From Software's Metal Wolf Chaos.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #21
otaking live

Otaking Live's Gamercard

6th is killing. Too many kids here!!!

Old 07-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #22
the_b1ues

Radiantmist's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   SOTF Winner   Submit - Bronze
Has to be the 5th for me still now does Goldeneye come out at partys.

the_b1ues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #23
KillerBEA
Stupid RNG

Send a message via Skype™ to KillerBEA

The BEAst in I's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   The Helping Hand   Donator - Level 3   Subscriber - Silver   Artist of the Month   5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 2   Fight Club Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester
Total Awards: 28 (more» ...)
6th then 5th then 7th

I started on 5th and have fond memories of the N64 but my PS2 easily takes the cake for me, because that ultimately defined my gaming tastes. (Gamecube was also fun) Plus with games like Jak 3, DBZ Budokai series, Mario Kart Double Dash and Kingdom Hearts 1/2 its really hard for me to say otherwise. Can't forget Halo CE. The gameboy advance is also my favorite handheld gaming device. The pokemon and yugioh games on the GBA made those long trips from Texas to Iowa AWESOME!

N64 got me started and I still love me some Fighters Destiny and Diddy Kong Racing. Still need to beat Wizpig one of these days lol

7th Gen has some amazing games, that I will never forget and will cherish forever. This gen opened up my gaming tastes so much. I went from being super picky and snobby about my the games I played to being extremely opened minded and willing to try anything that even slightly piques my interest.

Last edited by KillerBEA; 07-04-2014 at 09:45 PM.
KillerBEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #24
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze
I spent countless hours on the N64 in the heyday of local multiplayer with games like Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64 and the WWF games. Then there was Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time just to name a couple of other classics. Over on the PlayStation, I don't know how many hundreds of hours got left behind on the Tony Hawk games. Last-gen probably comes close in some ways, but my best gaming memories will probably always be tied to the fifth generation. It gets my vote.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #25
Yannie Boy

Yannie Boy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Community Gaming - Bronze   1,000 Posts   XBA Promoter   Submit - Platinum   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
I tried to vote but says I already voted?....I just opened the thread. Odd. Anywho it'd be a toss up between 3rd/4th for me. While I played tons from previous gens, the 3rd/4th are closer to me personally. Good times all around.

Yannie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #26
Morbido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explicitlyy View Post
Haha gotcha. Guess we're the only smart people here
Not that smart if you missed the below...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbido View Post
But im gonna vote for 5th gen as being the best. PS1 is my favourite console and to me the leap between gens was and still is the biggest.

To many good PS1/N64 games to mention but ill just say to the younger folk here you missed out on having you and three friends huddled round a small TV playing Goldeneye
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterWhite View Post
I spent countless hours on the N64 in the heyday of local multiplayer with games like Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64 and the WWF games. Then there was Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time just to name a couple of other classics. Over on the PlayStation, I don't know how many hundreds of hours got left behind on the Tony Hawk games. Last-gen probably comes close in some ways, but my best gaming memories will probably always be tied to the fifth generation. It gets my vote.
Those WWF games were amazing. Never been bettered in my opinion.
Morbido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:45 AM   #27
BiggD
16 Days Until Witcher 3!

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickableLemons7 View Post
Every system has some great games.

When it came to the original Xbox...
Jet Set Radio Future. Mercenaries. Morrowind, Rainbow Six 3, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Blinx the Time Sweeper, Brute Force.

Damn. Original Xbox was fucking awesome now that I think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterWhite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbido View Post
Started gaming on the 3rd gen (Master System II was first console).

I knew there was a reason I liked you guys. Good vote!

Old 07-05-2014, 02:27 AM   #28
Broke

Kained but AbIe's Gamercard
I have to go for 6th gen solely because of the original xbox and the birth of live, I was truly amazed the first time I played Halo 2 online I then got hooked on MK deception and Brothers in Arms multiplayer, back then pretty much everyone was friendly and used their headset nowadays xbox live is a ghost town.

Last edited by Broke; 07-05-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:21 AM   #29
iBuzz7S

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 2
Between 5th and 6th gen, 5th gen wins because of Super Mario 64 and 4 player local co-op on Mario Kart 64.

And Blast Corps. And Rampage World Tour. That game was the bomb!

iBuzz7S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:42 AM   #30
SicklyPlague
Not that kind of plague

SicklyPlague's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Staff Club - DEG23   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Community Gaming - Bronze   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
5th gen for me, Pokemon on both the GBC and N64 (along with the myriad of other games for the GBC), co-op games like mario cart and goldeneye, classics like super mario world, kirby and the crystal shards, Ocarina of time and majoras mask, and quirky ones like super clay fighter.

Its ultimately what got me into gaming. I would say either this gen or last gen, but i had more fun with the 5th gen then either of these gens.
SicklyPlague is offline   Reply With Quote