PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Games
Subscribe    Donate

View Poll Results: Which Console Gen Have You Enjoyed The Most?
1st (Odyssey/Telstar/Pong consoles/etc) 0 0%
2nd (2600/5200/Odyssey 2/ColecoVision/Intellivision/etc) 0 0%
3rd (NES/7800/SG-1000/Mark III/Master System/) 2 2.67%
4th (SNES/Genesis/Mega Drive/TurboGrafx-16/Game Boy/Game Gear) 15 20.00%
5th (N64/PS1/Saturn/3DO/Jaguar/GBC/Virtual Boy/WonderSwan) 20 26.67%
6th (GameCube/Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox/GBA/N-Gage) 13 17.33%
7th (Wii/PS3/360/DS/PSP) 25 33.33%
8th (Wii U/PS4/One/Ouya/3DS/Vita) 0 0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2014, 05:25 AM   #31
Spade.

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place   Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
Why is seventh winning? Lurker must really love their 360...
Spade. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:31 AM   #32
BiggD
PULL IT TOGETHER, 343!

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 15,000 Posts   Community Gaming - Silver   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade. View Post
Why is seventh winning? Lurker must really love their 360...
Too many people probably started with 7th and won't admit it through discussion

Don't get me wrong, 7th gen was fabulous, but…com'n.

Thanks to Xerofox for the romantically rambunctious signature!

Currently Playing: Halo: The Master Chief Collection
~ HALO IS LOVE, HALO IS LIFE ~
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #33
Skumbar

Skumbar's Gamercard
I have been playing since the 3rd generation and can say that all generations have had their merit. It is a difficult decision to make as I have many fond memories of all my consoles. I ended up going with 7th generation though. Why? Well, achievements of course.

Edit: In response to the two posts above mine, I feel like it might be beneficial to elaborate on my choice for the sake of the discussion.

I would say that some of the most fantastic gaming experiences of my life happened on older consoles. Thing is, do those gaming experiences live up to today's standards? Well, in many cases I would say definitely yes, but in plenty of other cases I would say absolutely not. A couple people mentioned Goldeneye here, which was also one of my all time favorites. But honestly, the controls are so bad it is pretty much unplayable nowadays.

Now, should we judge yesterday's games by today's standards? I believe the answer is yes. There are games from that long ago that I would still consider to be masterpieces by today's standards. But, once you remove the nostalgia glasses, so much of previous generations falls short. And that's the thing, once you put aside the nostalgia, are older generations really that great? I mean yeah, they are damn good, but best of all time good? Even most of the consoles themselves had really very little to offer other than the basic ability to play games. Do you remember how awful and clunky some of the previous generation controllers were?

I would never tell anyone they are wrong about their choice in this matter. It is a very personal choice and it is bullshit to pretend my opinion supersedes anyone else's. But, I would ask you to really consider what 7th generation (as a platform) did for gaming.

-The controllers were superior across the board (some of which opened up entirely new ways we can play games (whether you cared about that or not)).
-While Online multiplayer was born in 6th generation, it would say it really took flight in 7th.
-Achievements opened up entirely new ways people think about games and gaming.
-The marketplace for arcade games and indie games opened up game development to many smaller budget studios and even individuals and allowed a kind of innovation into gaming that would have been difficult to see through big budget releases.
-The system as a social platform and media platform (which I personally only care about it as a gaming platform, but this is pretty huge to some people).
-Tons of fantastic gaming experiences that, simply put, would never have been possible in older generations (and I don't say this from a graphics whore perspective, but that the AI and simulation requirements for the core mechanics of certain fantastic games is impossible on older generations).

How I see it, every generation had a whole bunch of outstanding games, even with nostalgia glasses off. These experiences that I wish I could have for the first time again. But, 7th generation brought more to the table and expanded gaming to something much bigger than it ever was. That's my two cents at least.

Last edited by Skumbar; 07-05-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Skumbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #34
mcnichoj

mcnichoj's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   1,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
SNES was the perfect console. It had a little bit of everything. Nothing looked or played like it was limited by hardware, some games even looked like they went beyond the hardware (Mario Kart, DK Country series and Mario RPG).
Most franchise/movie games were actually good.
Very few games I would actually not play on it but hundreds and hundreds AND hundreds that I would.

Plus, Super Mario World is the greatest game of all time. OF ALL TIME!

“You’re acting like a little girl lately. And not in a good way.” - Henry Winkler

People tell me I'm weird and that I'm not conventional
Someone asked me what my dream girl is and I told them with a lot of depth but two dimensional
mcnichoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #35
Spade.

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place   Submit - Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnichoj View Post

Plus, Super Mario World is the greatest game of all time. OF ALL TIME!
You, sir, are correct.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:15 PM   #36
Bobabacca

Send a message via Skype™ to Bobabacca

Bobabacca's Gamercard
5th Gen got me into gaming Goldeneye with my mates, probably the most fun I've had gaming. Just makes me realise it's 18 years ago & I can remember it like it was yesterday.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:02 PM   #37
Pokenut

Stig Assassin's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Corrupt x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - * Clueless *
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
As much as I enjoy my 360 and N64, I have to go with the 6th gen for the great times I had. So far nothing on the 360 has come close to the fun I had doing local fights in Super Smash Bros. Melee. Hundreds of hours went into that with Birthday party tournaments and weekly games with friends. There wasn't a lot of fantastic games, but they were fun.

And of course the GBA saved my sanity. Long road trips and getting dragged around to different places all day was really boring until I had a GBA to bring along. I'm not even sure how many walls I walked into during that time.
Pokenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #38
LickableLemons7

LickableLemons7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - DEG23   Micro Guide - Bronze   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Submit - Bronze   2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
In my eyes out of all the consoles here the N64 and the Wii really emphasized couch co-op and local multiplayer gaming so it was interesting to see 5th and 7th gen pick up the pace with early votes. As much as the "core" gaming audience detested the Wii I enjoyed my time with it.

I doubt that we'll see much of a change in the poll now but it doesn't surprise me that 5th, 6th, and 7th gen are in the lead with 4th not too far behind. I thought 3rd gen would've gotten a bit more love than that and we might've seen two or so votes for 2nd with a few people voting 1st or 8th gen for laughs. Turned out to be a fun poll at least.

Here's to video games. They've come a long way.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #39
Spade.

Ouya and 3DS are eighth?

I would've put them in seventh...
Old 07-07-2014, 12:05 AM   #40
datmanydocris

Location: Middletown, PA, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe A

DatManYdocris's Gamercard
I grew up with the N64. I have such fond memories of playing Ocarina of Time and Gauntlet Legends.

Live long and obey Wheaton's Law
My Games Collection
Retail Completions - 5 Arcade Completions- 2 W8/WP8 Completions - 6 Steam Completions - 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt. View Post
Not even ninja'd, hit by a slow moving thug...
datmanydocris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:13 AM   #41
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade. View Post
Ouya and 3DS are eighth?

I would've put them in seventh...
They should just put the OUYA outside in the trash.

Good to see 5th generation is catching up in the poll. Come on cool people, vote!
Old 07-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #42
JokerCCXXII

Send a message via Yahoo to JokerCCXXII

JokerCCXXII's Gamercard
I chose the 3rd generation of NES. I know I'm showing my age here, but seriously back then the 8-bit graphics were FAR superior to the Atari style games that were out and with that we were able to use our imagination and add own little stories to RPG games like Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy. Plus the majority of games like Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt were just way more entertaining then previous gaming systems. Now those kids back then grew up and created these bad ass games we have today full of detail and lore.
JokerCCXXII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #43
Morbido

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickableLemons7 View Post
In my eyes out of all the consoles here the N64 and the Wii really emphasized couch co-op and local multiplayer gaming so it was interesting to see 5th and 7th gen pick up the pace with early votes. As much as the "core" gaming audience detested the Wii I enjoyed my time with it.
I think Microsoft are really neglecting local multiplayer. There was a CoD game that only had 2 player split screen. Forza is only 2 player. Its completely inexcusable.
Morbido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #44
Spade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerCCXXII View Post
I chose the 3rd generation of NES. I know I'm showing my age here, but seriously back then the 8-bit graphics were FAR superior to the Atari style games that were out and with that we were able to use our imagination and add own little stories to RPG games like Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy. Plus the majority of games like Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt were just way more entertaining then previous gaming systems. Now those kids back then grew up and created these bad ass games we have today full of detail and lore.
Very valid point.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #45
FullMoonBeaver

FullMoonBeaver's Gamercard
Tough call for me. I started gaming back in 1986. I have played or owned every games console since. My favourites are PS 1&2, Xbox 360 & One.

Although saying that, I have only owned my XBO for 3 weeks. So I will have to wait at least 12 months before some really amazing games get released and make the console stand out.

There have been so many games that I have played, its tough single out even a dozen. But each console has given me memories of epic SP adventure, like Super Mario 3, and hilarious MP fun like Timesplitters. So many good times have been had. Plenty more to follow.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #46
twotonkoala

milehighkoala's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Damn. Feel old. I've played all of the generations (though was born and got my first console during the 2nd gen).

Anywho, I honestly don't think I can vote. They all have their own merits, and I have spectacular memories of all generations (except the first, which I only really played Pong once on an system that a friends dad had). Boxing and Pitfall on the Atari when I was really young, getting my first NES system and subsequently playing the hell out of Super Mario Bros and Dunkhunt, taking around the NES gun with me around the house and just shooting stuff, being the only one of my friends to own both a Genesis and a SNES, playing countless hours of Goldeneye, playing "hacked" games and NBA2k games on the Dreamcast in college, being the only one in the dorm with a PS2, PS2 and Xbox getting me through the after college years (young, broke and no good job yet), achievements on the 360 and now ushering in a new era with the Xbox One which will most likely be the first gaming I do with my son when he's old enough.....

I could go on for hours and hours about specific games and things that I remember in regards to each generation, but it boils down to video-gaming has touched every part of my life, and I have a fondness for each generation.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #47
gamerscorhunta

Send a message via Skype™ to gamerscorhunta

MaurickShepherd's Gamercard
I was born during the fifth generation, so I started playing games then. I picked up playing more games during the sixth. But the seventh is where I sincerely devoted endless months of gameplay into. Seriously amazing generation, and only time will tell if this generation will follow accordingly!

Love my Sheppy children, Archer, Bishop and Knight
gamerscorhunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #48
Virtue

Voted 7th generation. Easily my favorite, although the 5th gen was pretty solid too.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:25 AM   #49
BlackoutCal

BlackoutCal's Gamercard
5th Gen all the way - although I do have a soft spot for fourth for the snes and gameboy. Getting a ps1 was what really got me into gaming and developed a love affair with FFVII/FVIII/FVIX that will be with me for all time
Thanks to Xerofox for the awesome avatar and spectacular sig!!!!!
BlackoutCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:58 AM   #50
DeadZone

Gotta go for the 6th gen myself. While the 5th gen had some greatest franchises of all time, the 6th gen started reaching a boiling point where you had to question whether Gaming was a hobby or a lifestyle. The fusion of genres gave rise to games like Breakdown and Deus Ex while technology became advanced enough for concepts like Half-Life 2's physics and Kill.Switch's cover-based combat. It was also the generation where 3D gaming finally took off as more than a niche concept and the graphics actually took moderately realistic appearance rather than the 64-bit blocks that we got on the PS1 and N64.

While the 6th generation did still have it's flaws with choppy animation, pop-in textures, and obscure 10-second cutscenes thrown randomly all over the game, it was home to some of the greatest advancements in the industry and the birth of some of the best games today (Halo, Metroid Prime, Shadows of the Colossus, Knights of the Old Republic, etc...)

~Currently Playing: Sunset Overdrive, Master Chief Collection~
~Anticipated Games:Super Smash Bros Wii U, Star Fox Wii U, Halo 5: Guardians,[/B] No Man's Sky, Mirror's Edge 2, Star Wars: Battlefront, Space Engineers, Screamride, Phantom Dust~
DeadZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:41 AM   #51
DEG23
Listening to 1989

DEG23 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff Club - DEG23   Donator - Level 5   CABS Beta Tester   Staff - Moderator   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Rajeanero   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Nozza x360a
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
Haha, I knocked 7th gen into the lead

There were a lot of good games back on the N64 and PS1 and I think in many ways that gen was the most definitive in terms of innovation, new ideas and fan favourite games but because the title asked for the gen I had the most fun on, I had to go with 7th. To me the games weren't just games but experiences. Killing friends in Goldeneye and trying to find all masks in Majora's Mask was fun but the story telling and worlds of games from the 7th gen like the Mass Effect series and Deus Ex will probably stay with me a lot longer in the years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Stomper View Post
I refuse to use Spotify because they have no Taylor Swift albums.

Last edited by DEG23; 07-19-2014 at 08:04 AM.
DEG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:27 AM   #52
Slaughter XBA
Lost

Cpt Slaugh7er's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
7th for me. I'm in my "carefree" days, which means more time to game. My visions on humanity have been most impacted by games of the seventh gen. Games like Deus Ex had me wondering what defined humanity or what it means to be human.

My Gallery
| XBA Blog
I put the laughter in slaughter.
Slaughter XBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:34 AM   #53
Inebriated Jedi

Send a message via Skype™ to Inebriated Jedi

Inebriated Jedi's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Staff Club - Inebriated Jedi   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   Three Lives Remaining - Finalist   Donator - Level 1   Staff Club - AOS Puck   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - * Clueless *   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
How is Gen 7 beating Gen 5?????

You people are terrible.

Inebriated Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:38 AM   #54
Spade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Jedi View Post
How is Gen 7 beating Gen 5?????

You people are terrible.
I voted for neither, if it's any compensation.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #55
Pat Terlizzi

Paterlizzi's Gamercard
I voted 4th but PS2 had some of the best games of all time.
Pat Terlizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #56
crusin

S6T SLAU6HTER23's Gamercard
n64 was by far my favorite console loved every second of playing it

credit goes to killerBEA for awsome sig
crusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:52 AM   #57
Area88

McAngus's Gamercard
Voted Gen 5 because of the Sega Saturn. Had some breath taking games and I love the look, sound and feel of games back then.

The 360 era I've enjoyed the most overall because of achievement hunting and it's allowed me to experience games I never would have otherwise.
Area88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #58
Deviantelf

Deviantelf's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
It was close for me. Xbox360 has TONS of cheap games I enjoy, and has kept me solely stuck on for about 4 years (aside from PC). Nothing else has done that since Coleco/NES when I was a kid and could only have a few games.

But PS1 had a lot of innovation and games.

And Dreamcast was the sh*t for it's time. Web browser, optional mouse/keyboard... things that were unheard of then. It's like it had all this unrealized potential (at least in the US... dunno about elsewhere). That system impressed me the most for it's time.

But ultimately, 360 has had the longevity and wealth of cheap games I've enjoyed and more I know I will enjoy, plus achievements are fun (not needed but like the icing on the cake).

Atari (my cousins had it) and Coleco will always have a fond place in my heart... but as an adult, seriously, I need to save when I want or at least frequently to deal with real life!

Also I'm too cheap to buy a Xbox One yet. I've always bought consoles used/on sale well after they are out... when there's LOTS of games, and they are cheap too.

Last edited by Deviantelf; 07-25-2014 at 08:28 AM. Reason: words, grammar
Deviantelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #59
pokefreak234

pokefreak234's Gamercard
7th gen wins it for me due to it being the generation in which I really got into gaming, but the 6th was a close 2nd due to it having my favourite game and being nostalgic for me. However, I have played and enjoyed games from before my time too
pokefreak234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #60
JT Fever

oO JT Fever Oo's Gamercard
Ps2

Gotta go with the PS2 era, i have been playing since 2nd generation, I remember most controllers only had 1 button, when I had my spectrum/C64 most games used the keyboard I remember International Karate + (GREAT GAME!!!) required 8 different keys just to move, then 2 more for punches and kicks, now it was in my youth but that makes for some crazy hand combos AND if you were playing a friend then 2 people around a keyboard fighting over 20 different keys!!!!

BUT through all these generations the games have never really changed at a base level, graphics not included, I had space games (Elite), fighting games (IK+,DD,Karate Champ), first person games (Dungeon Master), RPG (Wasteland), Sports (Daley Thompsons, Sensible Soccer) all with real poor graphics by todays standards but actual games have been pretty much the same since day 1. I am sure if you questioned a Programmer back then his OWN vision of any game would have been just like the ideas of today.

I guess we are lucky that we have comfortable, ergonomic multi functioning controllers, online capability and some vistas which make Hollywood jealous.

The definition of anything is always subject to the persons own experience and age, enjoy them ALL.

N-joi

Click 4 Soundcloud

House Music from the 90's

JT Fever is offline   Reply With Quote