Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Games
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-12-2014, 01:26 AM   #31
fastNcurious

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I've started skipping the collectible achievements if they're too time consuming. Too many other games to play.
fastNcurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:17 AM   #32
Lewie B I ReQ

Lewie B I ReQ's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post

99% of collectibles just unlock an achievement or grant you a useless item. Since Fallout 3 is an RPG, collectibles increasing skills is pretty important. I still think it's one of two games that did them right.
i wouldnt mind if they wasnt tied to an achievement. surely the devs know that there will be a guide up within a few days and people will just follow that guide. so why do they bother with collectable achievements.

i think saints row 4 i can let slide because you get an in game map, its fun and fast to jump around the city and the data clusters improve your character. now that i really didnt mind

the biggest sin of collectables is when they glitch. the biohazard pile of bodies in dead rising 3 glitched pretty bad then you had bf4 where your entire progress could be reset and you would have to collect them all again

credit and thanks to Slaughter for the avatar and sig. check him out if your looking for a signature
Lewie B I ReQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #33
Scotty
Shut up and Kiss Me!!

Scotty x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   Staff Club - troy0891   Donator - Level 4   2,500 Posts   Subscriber - Gold   x360a Representer   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - DeekBoy   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Road Map - Gold   Achievement Guide - Silver
Total Awards: 19 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewie B I ReQ View Post
i wouldnt mind if they wasnt tied to an achievement. surely the devs know that there will be a guide up within a few days and people will just follow that guide. so why do they bother with collectable achievements.

i think saints row 4 i can let slide because you get an in game map, its fun and fast to jump around the city and the data clusters improve your character. now that i really didnt mind

the biggest sin of collectables is when they glitch. the biohazard pile of bodies in dead rising 3 glitched pretty bad then you had bf4 where your entire progress could be reset and you would have to collect them all again
I would also be happy if they weren't tied to achievements as would most other people i think, but developers know it increases game time so they will keep putting them in there.

And when they glitch it REALLY sucks, but i got somewhat lucky with BF4 collectibles. I was on my way through on my second playthrough specifically following a guide for the collectibles and as i picked up the P90 SMG the achievement for collecting all of the collectibles unlocked. I hadn't found them all at all, i probably had around half of them. I was pretty chuffed.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #34
Lewie B I ReQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
I would also be happy if they weren't tied to achievements as would most other people i think, but developers know it increases game time so they will keep putting them in there.

And when they glitch it REALLY sucks, but i got somewhat lucky with BF4 collectibles. I was on my way through on my second playthrough specifically following a guide for the collectibles and as i picked up the P90 SMG the achievement for collecting all of the collectibles unlocked. I hadn't found them all at all, i probably had around half of them. I was pretty chuffed.
now thats good luck. my luck is never that good tho haha why cant good glitches happen more often

credit and thanks to Slaughter for the avatar and sig. check him out if your looking for a signature
Old 07-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #35
fvkasm2x

Y2Kasper10's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
In my mind, collectibles mustů

1. Be limited to 75 maximum

2. Have an ACTUAL reason in their existence in the game (EXAMPLE: Skyrim)

3. Have an in-game map, or NPC dialogue that hints to where there are located

If collectibles don't follow those criteria, ESPECIALLY #2, then they're unnecessary and an annoyance.
Well said. Agree

My Games for sale on Ebay (or here): http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Xbox-360-game.../251761662430?
fvkasm2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #36
Lewie B I ReQ

just got the energiser achievement in outlast and gotta say that shit was nerve wrecking but i really enjoyed getting it.

wish more games would be more creative with achievements

Old 07-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #37
Stevilinho

Send a message via MSN to Stevilinho

stevilinho's Gamercard
it certainly depends on what they are and what they do, if its just there for the sake of it then yes its annoying and pointless but if theres a reason then im fine with it

playboys in mafia 2 was a-ok with me, the fables in wolf among us is annoying to get them all but has helped me learn who all the fables are, terminals in halo which gives a backstory is a-ok with me

stuff like crackdown where theres like 800 orbs to collect yes its annoying but they build your character up and thus means it good to get them

also just dont make any missable im looking at the chinpokomon in south stck of truth means i have to collectable hunting in a new playthrough if i ever get round to it

Stevilinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #38
Explicitlyy

DRKR HALF's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
It does suck that creators/developers have to add useless collectibles for forced replay value. Luckily guides and video guides are available for use. Like in LEGO games, you have to beat the game to unlock characters needed to go back and collect all collectibles in every level, hence the force replay value. What's worse is when you have to find fucking gaps or jumps in certain games. Like shit, if you want to make a fun game with replay value, put in side missions or something.

88% Avoided, 40% Unsporting.
Explicitlyy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #39
Kangaroo Swagg

kangaroo swagg's Gamercard
I do agree that collectibles can be a cheap way to force replay value, but I feel they are much more bearable than what many games are doing now: copying Call of Duty's online ranking and challenge systems. Ever since MW2, many games have been forcing multiplayer when it would have been better for the developers to divert their efforts away from multiplayer and enhance the single player portion of the game instead.

Some examples include the Assassin's Creed series, Max Payne 3, Far Cry 3, and just about any other game that is post-MW2, has online multiplayer, but is not known for its online multiplayer experience.

The problem with these games is that they add multiplayer thinking it will attract more customers, but they do not realize that they are not Call of Duty or Battlefield and nobody gives a shit about their multiplayer. Despite this, they add a variant of prestige (which is becoming more and more prevalent in many games), and ridiculously time consuming challenges (i.e. get 1000 kills with this, complete 200 matches of this, etc.). They overcompensate and act as if their game will have a thriving online community for the next 4-5 years.

The problem with all of this is that some people, such as myself, are insane completionists. I strive to not only unlock all achievements and 100% single player, but also max out everything on multiplayer. This becomes extremely difficult to do in games such as Max Payne 3 or Saints Row 2 where so much false hope is put into a game that the developers know will not attract the same crowds as Halo or CoD yet they structure the ranking and challenge system as if it will. The end result is that I get the game, get online, and find the same guy over and over again who can't seem to grasp the fact that he is in a ghost town.

To sum it up, I'm not saying that developers shouldn't put multiplayer in their games, I'm just saying that they need to realize that it won't be as popular as staple online shooters and they shouldn't be acting like people are going to invest 2,000-3,000 hours to rank up 10 prestiges and unlock every challenge. They need to understand that the servers will most likely be ghost towns in a year or less. The only games I believe should have such deep multiplayer structures are what I like to call the big five (CoD, Halo, Battlefield, GoW, and GTA V) as these arguably have the strongest online communities, other games to a lesser extent would be popular sports and racing games. Sorry if I went off on a tangent here, but I feel that this overcompensation for CoD-style multiplayer is a larger annoyance than collectibles.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #40
Lewie B I ReQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo Swagg View Post
snip.
yeah thats very true tomb raider for example did this to me. id didnt mind the multiplayer it was...oryt. it was a very hated multiplayer tho and died almost immediately making the multiplayer achievements annoying. at least they patched it so you didnt have to get to 3rd presteige but still. what pisses me off even more is i got to level 53 on that game and the damn thing reset me back to level 1. so that game can go screw itself for multiplayer achievements

Old 07-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #41
LordBern

LordBern's Gamercard
I like it when collecting all the trinkets actually give you something in return. Give me something for my effort. XP, new gun, costume, etc. It DOES usually mean I see every bit of every level in a game from wandering around so much. I guess that's one of the reasons why developers include them. I'd like to see more of 'find all of this or that and get something cool in the sequel to the game too' kind of thing. I think some games have done that for achievements or a save file, but why not for collecting all the crap in the prior game?
LordBern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:14 AM   #42
godsandm0nsters

godsandm0nsters's Gamercard
I recently played through Tomb Raider and I absolutely loved it, it's one of my favourite games I think. However, my experience was dulled by the constant hunt for collectibles that the completionist in me could not ignore. Most of the collectibles seemed pointless too which is a shame. I don't really see the point unless they actually add to the story, like in BioShock.

Retail Completions: 65 | Arcade Completions: 26
Last Completion: Aliens Colonial Marines (1250)
Currently Playing: Alien Isolation, Assassin's Creed Unity
godsandm0nsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:52 AM   #43
Lewie B I ReQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsandm0nsters View Post
I recently played through Tomb Raider and I absolutely loved it, it's one of my favourite games I think. However, my experience was dulled by the constant hunt for collectibles that the completionist in me could not ignore. Most of the collectibles seemed pointless too which is a shame. I don't really see the point unless they actually add to the story, like in BioShock.
yeah like the gps caches that did absolutely nothing . the diarys at least made sense but those gps caches were 100% pointless

Old 07-16-2014, 01:21 AM   #44
Spade.

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place   Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
Quote:
I do agree that collectibles can be a cheap way to force replay value, but I feel they are much more bearable than what many games are doing now: copying Call of Duty's online ranking and challenge systems. Ever since MW2, many games have been forcing multiplayer when it would have been better for the developers to divert their efforts away from multiplayer and enhance the single player portion of the game instead.
You're talking like Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer was tacked on and the campaign was sub par.
Spade. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:16 AM   #45
Kangaroo Swagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade. View Post
You're talking like Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer was tacked on and the campaign was sub par.
That's not at all what I said in my post. I cannot help you with your reading comprehension skill, but one piece of advice I will offer you is this: do not take what people have to say completely out of context. You quoted the first paragraph of my argument and completely ignored the rest of what I had to say.

I never said MW2's campaign was sub par, nor did I remark that MW2's multiplayer was tacked on, as such a statement would be absurd. What I said was that I am tired of games that are NOT known for their online multiplayer acting like they are major online franchises and designing their online structure as if it will have a devoted community playing for many years to come. Examples of this include prestige systems in non-CoD games which shows developers' desire to emulate CoD's online experience when they know they can't. Games like Max Payne, Far Cry, and Tomb Raider need to realize that they will never have devoted online followings as games like MW2 or Halo 4 have and need to stop acting like they will.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I thought MW2's campaign was sub par, and the fact that you think that I thought that MW2's multiplayer was tacked on shows you missed the entire point of my argument. In fact, the main point of my argument was that I'm tired of single-player oriented games tacking on shitty multiplayer because they do not want to be in the shadow of multiplayer giants like CoD, Battlefied, Halo, GoW, or GTA V.

Also, let me explain where there may have been some confusion on your end, when I said: "Ever since MW2, many games have been forcing multiplayer when it would have been better for the developers to divert their efforts away from multiplayer and enhance the single player portion of the game instead," I meant that MW2's phenomenal multiplayer experience created a benchmark for all future games to live up to. However, CoD has been a celebrated online franchise, and other games that are known for only single-player can't really live up to CoD's multiplayer so they shouldn't be acting like they will.

Last edited by Kangaroo Swagg; 07-16-2014 at 05:20 AM.
Kangaroo Swagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:25 AM   #46
OpTic DevilDog9

OpTic DevilDog9's Gamercard
Arrow

Well I love finding all the collectables (as long as I get an achievement for my effort) (;

Forum Rules

Code of Conduct

OpTic DevilDog9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:32 AM   #47
Explicitlyy

DRKR HALF's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
That's not at all what I said in my post. I cannot help you with your reading comprehension skill, but one piece of advice I will offer you is this: do not take what people have to say completely out of context. You quoted the first paragraph of my argument and completely ignored the rest of what I had to say.

I never said MW2's campaign was sub par, nor did I remark that MW2's multiplayer was tacked on, as such a statement would be absurd. What I said was that I am tired of games that are NOT known for their online multiplayer acting like they are major online franchises and designing their online structure as if it will have a devoted community playing for many years to come. Examples of this include prestige systems in non-CoD games which shows developers' desire to emulate CoD's online experience when they know they can't. Games like Max Payne, Far Cry, and Tomb Raider need to realize that they will never have devoted online followings as games like MW2 or Halo 4 have and need to stop acting like they will.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I thought MW2's campaign was sub par, and the fact that you think that I thought that MW2's multiplayer was tacked on shows you missed the entire point of my argument. In fact, the main point of my argument was that I'm tired of single-player oriented games tacking on shitty multiplayer because they do not want to be in the shadow of multiplayer giants like CoD, Battlefied, Halo, GoW, or GTA V.

Also, let me explain where there may have been some confusion on your end, when I said: "Ever since MW2, many games have been forcing multiplayer when it would have been better for the developers to divert their efforts away from multiplayer and enhance the single player portion of the game instead," I meant that MW2's phenomenal multiplayer experience created a benchmark for all future games to live up to. However, CoD has been a celebrated online franchise, and other games that are known for only single-player can't really live up to CoD's multiplayer so they shouldn't be acting like they will.
While we're on the topic of MW2, the campaign was really well done and the storyline with Captain Price (dating back to CoD2 I believe) is what made it memorable.
As for online, maybe Battlefield and GoW can compete with CoD for online FPS'.
Collectibles-wise, CoD does it right, a couple intel per level that aren't hard to find or make you stray too far from the objective.

88% Avoided, 40% Unsporting.
Explicitlyy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:32 AM   #48
Kangaroo Swagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explicitlyy View Post
While we're on the topic of MW2, the campaign was really well done and the storyline with Captain Price (dating back to CoD2 I believe) is what made it memorable.
As for online, maybe Battlefield and GoW can compete with CoD for online FPS'.
Collectibles-wise, CoD does it right, a couple intel per level that aren't hard to find or make you stray too far from the objective.
I definitely agree that MW2 had a great storyline, and in general, pretty much all CoD games have well done campaigns. In my mind, there are pretty much three games that can compete seriously with CoD's grasp on online shooters and those are Halo, Battlefield, and GoW.

When it comes to collectibles in CoD, I agree that the intel items are well done as they are not too numerous and do not stray far from the objective. Another game that I feel did collectibles correct was Max Payne 3. The golden guns are actually usable when you find all the pieces for a particular gun, and the clues offer further insight into the narrative and are usually right in your path.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #49
Spade.

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place   Submit - Silver
Quote:

I admit, I skimmed your first post, I could have sworn you stopped talking about the game in the first paragraph. My mistake.

I too thought that Modern Warfare 2 was a great campaign, and the whole trilogy was a good story, though I couldn't help but feel they really couldn't think of a proper ending for three, though even the ending we got was pretty good.

And the multiplayer, I have three weeks worth of time into it, 10th prestige something, and countless memories with friends.

The collectibles were nicely placed in the story, sadly they did not have any form of reward that I saw worthy for finding them all.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:20 AM   #50
Lewie B I ReQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade. View Post
I admit, I skimmed your first post, I could have sworn you stopped talking about the game in the first paragraph. My mistake.

I too thought that Modern Warfare 2 was a great campaign, and the whole trilogy was a good story, though I couldn't help but feel they really couldn't think of a proper ending for three, though even the ending we got was pretty good.

And the multiplayer, I have three weeks worth of time into it, 10th prestige something, and countless memories with friends.

The collectibles were nicely placed in the story, sadly they did not have any form of reward that I saw worthy for finding them all.
not a big cod fan myself but i remember cod4 intel unlocking cheats if you found them

Old 07-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #51
Spade.

Quote:
not a big cod fan myself but i remember cod4 intel unlocking cheats if you found them
Unfortunately that wasn't in MW2.

I actually popped 1000G on CoD4 with the intel achievement, so I celebrated with putting on ragtime and invincibility.

That was fun.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #52
Virtue

Infamous 1 blast shards... (sorry for bringing up a ps only game ) took forever to find with no guide or internet. I'll never do that again, for ANY reason!

Unless the collectables actually add something to the game, there shouldn't be any more than a handful. Colectables for the sake of collecting in game is pointless in my honest opinion.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:42 AM   #53
BlackoutCal

BlackoutCal's Gamercard
I am be in the minority but I like collectables...there are limits however!
If they have an impact on the game or add to the flavour/extra story (like books or notes ect) then I absolutely love them.
My favourite ones are the riddles (not the trophies but the riddles) from the first two arkham games - got real pleasure out of the nod to source material there to solve them.
However, if the collectibles can't be tracked/viewed and add nothing (no points or extra little story/world tidbits) then I have a problem with them...especially if there are lots of them.
Thanks to Xerofox for the awesome avatar and spectacular sig!!!!!
BlackoutCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #54
Lewie B I ReQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutCal View Post
I am be in the minority but I like collectables...there are limits however!
If they have an impact on the game or add to the flavour/extra story (like books or notes ect) then I absolutely love them.
My favourite ones are the riddles (not the trophies but the riddles) from the first two arkham games - got real pleasure out of the nod to source material there to solve them.
However, if the collectibles can't be tracked/viewed and add nothing (no points or extra little story/world tidbits) then I have a problem with them...especially if there are lots of them.
dead rising 3 does just that with 470 pointless collectibles.
shoot 30 speakers
hack 20 cameras
find 20 whiskeys
burn 40 corpses and much more random pointless shit
yeah sure they appear on the map apart from a few glithed ones but damn man they were boring to do

Old 07-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #55
Lavindathar

Send a message via Skype™ to Lavindathar

Lavindathar's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Gold   Micro Guide - Gold   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Apprentice   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - troy0891   Free Agents - Third Place   Over Achiever - Gold   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Cilisien   GRID 2 Award   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 30 (more» ...)
The first spiderman had 700 odd comics. At least they unlocked stuff. Didn't saints row 3 have 1300?

I don't mind collectibles, hunting is fun.

I'm waiting for a game with a dynamic collectible system, so they are random for every game. Therefore video guides can't be used.
Last Achievement : 100 Times Too Many - Alien Isolation (Xbox One) - 5g
Last 100% Completion : Alien Isolation (1000g) (Xbox One)

Thanks to Rajeanero for the avatar and Audilicious for the sig.
Lavindathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #56
Lewie B I ReQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavindathar View Post
The first spiderman had 700 odd comics. At least they unlocked stuff. Didn't saints row 3 have 1300?

I don't mind collectibles, hunting is fun.

I'm waiting for a game with a dynamic collectible system, so they are random for every game. Therefore video guides can't be used.
saints row 3 had 80 i think and they increased your income
saints row 4 had about 1300 and that was actually fun because 1 it increased your super powers and 2 you had super powers you could jump super sprint and glide your way to em all so saints 4 was actually fun

i remember a prince of persia game that had like 1800 orbs or seeds or what ever i got so bored doing that i just gave up and left it

Old 07-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #57
Braiiins

Braiiins's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
I'm going to agree with BiggD and say there are circumstances where collectibles are okay:

1. Under 100 collectibles. Over 100 is okay if you can get many in rapid succession, I didn't think saint's row 4 was too bad for this reason.

2. The collectibles add to the game and aren't just something that sit there. XP (far cry 3), back story (tomb raider) or items you don't really need (assassin's creed) are all good collectibles to me.

3. A map that you can earn that shows where they are.

4. No collectibles that can be missed in levels that can't be replayed/areas you can't return to.

I don't mind collectibles as long as they don't take as much time to get as the story.
Windows Phone: 68
Braiiins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #58
Bahugo

Grumpycouch's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braiiins View Post

4. No collectibles that can be missed in levels that can't be replayed/areas you can't return to.
I agree with this the most. I hate replaying something completely because I missed 1 thing, I don't mind doing chapters over again though if I missed a collectable here or there.
Bahugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:57 AM   #59
BlackoutCal

BlackoutCal's Gamercard
Quote:
dead rising 3 does just that with 470 pointless collectibles.
shoot 30 speakers
hack 20 cameras
find 20 whiskeys
burn 40 corpses and much more random pointless shit
yeah sure they appear on the map apart from a few glithed ones but damn man they were boring to do
Didn't actually mind the base Dead Rising 3 ones...gave me something to do while running around - though I think that I mainly didn't mind them due to all my rage directed at the excessive and boring zombie slaughtering numbers I had to grind for. Plus I liked the little stories of the tragic endings.

Was really unhappy with the collectibles added in the season pass dlcs, they were just pointless and I felt that after the number in the base game, going back and collecting more in exactly the same spots was just torture!!

The arcade cabinets and powerups in the super arcade edition were done well though
Thanks to Xerofox for the awesome avatar and spectacular sig!!!!!
BlackoutCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:20 AM   #60
Lewie B I ReQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutCal View Post
Didn't actually mind the base Dead Rising 3 ones...gave me something to do while running around - though I think that I mainly didn't mind them due to all my rage directed at the excessive and boring zombie slaughtering numbers I had to grind for. Plus I liked the little stories of the tragic endings.

Was really unhappy with the collectibles added in the season pass dlcs, they were just pointless and I felt that after the number in the base game, going back and collecting more in exactly the same spots was just torture!!

The arcade cabinets and powerups in the super arcade edition were done well though
haha yeah i did like the tragic end puns now you mention it
the arcade cabinets i didnt mind cos they actually contibuted towards character unlocks, plus theres literally 8 of them.
the episode dlc collectibles were a kick in the teeth lol

Last edited by Lewie B I ReQ; 07-20-2014 at 12:23 AM.