PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password
 

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Games
Subscribe    Donate

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
Kovy88
 
Kovy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 218

Kovy88's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   GSL 12 Winner   Family Corner Challenge Club - Tier 1   Over Achiever - Gold
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
What do you think of gamertag teaming?

So I've sometimes wondered about this. First, what does it mean...

'More than one people play on a single gamertag to unlock achievements faster, getting more achievements than the individuals who play and unlock all their achievements by themselves. By yourself, I mean you are the one holding the controller at all times, co-op and boosting is not tag-teaming as you play and advance in the game by your own efforts or with other individuals who controls their own gamertags by themselves. Local co-op is not tag-teaming either, as long as you are gaming on your own gamertag.

Tag-teamers have an advantage, as they are able to score faster. They are able to be higher on leaderboards because they work as a team. They have an advantage in gamerscoring competitions, because the 2nd gamer is able to play when the main gamer is away or resting. Lots of these cases remain a secret, because you can't tell who is tag-teaming and who is playing alone, unless they are open with the matter. Also, nowadays you are able to play with the same gamertag on both 360 and One. So technically tag-teaming gamers are able to score twice as fast. And there might be a third gamer on Windows Phone too.'

It says in the Xbox terms of service that gamertags are for individual use and not to be shared.

I'll keep my personal opinion a secret for now, because I don't want to set a direction for the conversation. So, what do you think of tag-teamers? Please keep it civil, I do not want to rise arguments with this thread, just to hear some opinions.
__________________





GSL 13 starting score: 330,305g | 100k - 24.8.2011 | 200k - 2.12.2012 | 300k - 1.12.2013

My top 10 shooter completions: Gears of War 3, Max Payne 3, F.E.A.R., F.E.A.R. 2, F.E.A.R. Files, Rainbow Six Vegas, Warhammer 40k Space Marine, Gears of War 2, Legendary, Left 4 Dead 2 (Realism Expert legit Dead Center & Hard Rain) | XBA shooter leaderboard: 132,764 GS (11th)
Kovy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
Skorpion XBA
Guide Team
 
Skorpion XBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: \//\
Posts: 2,848

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff - Guide Team   Achievement Guide - Gold   Subscriber - Silver   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Green Thumb - Platinum
Total Awards: 35 (more» ...)
I personally don't agree with it. I like to earn my own achievements even if that means countless hours of grinding out boring achievements. A GT with a high score isn't impressive if multiple gamers have contributed to it.
__________________
Skorpion XBA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
Inebriated Jedi
 
Inebriated Jedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dantooine
Posts: 2,141
Send a message via Skype™ to Inebriated Jedi

Inebriated Jedi's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Staff Club - Inebriated Jedi   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   Three Lives Remaining - Finalist   Donator - Level 1   Staff Club - AOS Puck   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - * Clueless *   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
It's cheating, plain and simple.
__________________

Inebriated Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
troy0891
 
troy0891's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,271
Send a message via Skype™ to troy0891

troy0891 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   CABS Beta Tester   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   1,000 Posts   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   x360a Representer   Staff Club - troy0891   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy88 View Post
It says in the Xbox terms of service that gamertags are for individual use and not to be shared.
That pretty much sums it up right there, doesn't it? They shouldn't be shared like that. It is considered cheating when it comes to any gaming competition. But, like you said, it's hard for anyone other than Microsoft to prove it or do anything about it.
__________________
Community Gaming. It's awesome. Which game are you looking forward to?
Artist of the Month. Do you have the talent or the vision to compete? Humor counts.
Find everything you ever wanted to know about Guides and Roadmaps HERE.
And check the GreenBook for abandoned works you may be able to lend a hand on
My Blog
troy0891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
Lewie B I ReQ
 
Lewie B I ReQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,670

Lewie B I ReQ's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
i dont agree with that at all its just straight up cheating if you ask me. how can you feel good about your achievements if you didnt even earn them yourself
__________________

credit and thanks to Slaughter for the avatar and sig. check him out if your looking for a signature
Lewie B I ReQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
WalterWhite
 
WalterWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,231

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I couldn't care less what anybody chooses to do with their gamertags or how they play games, hack gamerscore, cheat, boost, whatever. It doesn't change the way I play and has nothing to do with me. I do enjoy reading the posts from the people that come back and cry victim when they get caught doing this shit though.
__________________
WalterWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #7
Kovy88
 
Kovy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 218

Kovy88's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   GSL 12 Winner   Family Corner Challenge Club - Tier 1   Over Achiever - Gold
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Yeah, I think it's wrong and it doesn't really differ that much from illegal stimulants used in professional sports. I know a few people who don't seem to have any problem with other people doing games for them. Like they may be piss poor at a Guitar Hero game and a friend who is really good at them comes over and unlocks the achievements. Then the person goes like: look at these! Look what I unlocked!
__________________





GSL 13 starting score: 330,305g | 100k - 24.8.2011 | 200k - 2.12.2012 | 300k - 1.12.2013

My top 10 shooter completions: Gears of War 3, Max Payne 3, F.E.A.R., F.E.A.R. 2, F.E.A.R. Files, Rainbow Six Vegas, Warhammer 40k Space Marine, Gears of War 2, Legendary, Left 4 Dead 2 (Realism Expert legit Dead Center & Hard Rain) | XBA shooter leaderboard: 132,764 GS (11th)
Kovy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #8
Fire Hawk D
 
Fire Hawk D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 1,576

Fire Hawk GYJS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Gold   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Other than multiplayer achievements, no one unlocks my achievements but me.
Fire Hawk D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #9
Dirty130
 
Dirty130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Australia.
Posts: 5,015

Dirty XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Tri-Gamer Tournament - Champion   Community Gaming - Bronze   XBA Representer   XBA Promoter   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
I think Kovy and Jedi summed it up perfectly.
__________________

-
A big thank you to MissJaded for our GSL 13 team signature.
-
I'm a 100% NCIS CSI GSL Meatball.

Dirty130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:02 AM   #10
fvkasm2x
 
fvkasm2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 590

Y2Kasper10's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Hawk D View Post
Other than multiplayer achievements, no one unlocks my achievements but me.
Me too.

I don't care if people do it, because they're only cheating themselves (in most cases).

I'd get annoyed if someone unlocked achievements for me... lol
__________________


fvkasm2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:22 AM   #11
Dinh Master
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 152

Dinh Master's Gamercard
Cheating? I don't let anyone play on my tag because I feel proud of getting the achievements myself. But gaming is gaming, most gamers I know don't give a shit about achievements, they're fun little challenges, but nothing more than that. If I had a little brother or friends who wanted to play games on my account and I wasn't so OCD about my achievements, I would let them play and no one, not even Microsoft has the authority to tell me I can't, after I pay $60 a year to them. Putting it on par with steroids in sports is RIDICULOUS! Why should it offend you what other people do with their gamertag? I have a friend who shares his account with his older brother, he must be a cheater, ban him from gaming right? He might as well be injecting drugs in his ass. Hilarious. Upon reading what OP was saying I was surprised someone could care enough to ask that question, and then seeing most of you so bothered was very weird to me. I'm proud of my score, that's enough for me. Who cares what anyone else does it's so freaking harmless.
Dinh Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:41 AM   #12
Slaughter XBA
Award Troll
 
Slaughter XBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 5,234

Cpt Slaugh7er's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   5,000 Posts   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
I think that team gamer tags is cool but not necessary for me. I prefer to own my achievements by myself. At most, I would do one game myself and then have the other person do a separate game on my tag. But yeah, I'd rather all my points be mine and all completions be mine on my tag.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barad View Post
Another Red Dead would be the equivalent of getting laid, I'm always ready.
Slaughter XBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:55 AM   #13
Capn Doug
Community and Events Lead
 
Capn Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,028

Capn Doug XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Ceris   Staff Club - rekikire   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Arcade Crazy - Platinum   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 2   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 3
Total Awards: 50 (more» ...)
As far as I'm concerned, the problem is really one of intent. It's not a big deal if I unlock an achievement for a friend in Rock Band because we switched instruments without moving tags around. That happens. It's just like if you have someone house sitting for you and they play a game or two on your tag. Though usually they end up playing games like Mortal Kombat vs DCU or Gears 3 or some such completionist nightmare. Or you get super drunk at Creech's house and he puts Ninja Gaiden 2 on your tag as punishment.


It's when you intentionally do it. It's when you intentionally say, "Doug, play Catherine for me and get that hard achievement" that it becomes an issue. That's the hard part to police, though. When you have people gaming on the same tag with different IPs, that's easier to track. Granted, I'm pretty sure a few of us have double dipped before (been grinding out one thing or another absentmindedly or with a turbo controller while playing on a different console or a windows device). When you go in with the intent of having other people play for you or unlock achievements for you, then there's really no excuse for it.
__________________
Arcade Crazy (51) | Over Achiever (44) | Staff Clubs (10) | Challenge Clubs (12 level 1, 6 level 2, 2 level 3)
Capn Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:59 AM   #14
Explicitlyy
 
Explicitlyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 322

DRKR HALF's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
What if you can't beat a certain part of the game, but you have a friend who has already done it with ease? I.E. Mile High Club in CoD 4. I had to do it for my one friend because he was struggling with it and cbf to do it.
__________________

88% Avoided, 40% Unsporting.
Explicitlyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:05 AM   #15
Odd Future
 
Odd Future's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 52

Driserie's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Doug View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the problem is really one of intent. It's not a big deal if I unlock an achievement for a friend in Rock Band because we switched instruments without moving tags around. That happens. It's just like if you have someone house sitting for you and they play a game or two on your tag. Though usually they end up playing games like Mortal Kombat vs DCU or Gears 3 or some such completionist nightmare. Or you get super drunk at Creech's house and he puts Ninja Gaiden 2 on your tag as punishment.


It's when you intentionally do it. It's when you intentionally say, "Doug, play Catherine for me and get that hard achievement" that it becomes an issue. That's the hard part to police, though. When you have people gaming on the same tag with different IPs, that's easier to track. Granted, I'm pretty sure a few of us have double dipped before (been grinding out one thing or another absentmindedly or with a turbo controller while playing on a different console or a windows device). When you go in with the intent of having other people play for you or unlock achievements for you, then there's really no excuse for it.
I agree with this.

It's more of a matter of integrity for me. I'd sooner spend hours trying to unlock a tough achievement and having the feeling of finally unlocking it than handing the controller off to a friend or someone who can complete it ease.
__________________
Odd Future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #16
Kovy88
 
Kovy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 218

Kovy88's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   GSL 12 Winner   Family Corner Challenge Club - Tier 1   Over Achiever - Gold
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh Master View Post
Cheating? I don't let anyone play on my tag because I feel proud of getting the achievements myself. But gaming is gaming, most gamers I know don't give a shit about achievements, they're fun little challenges, but nothing more than that. If I had a little brother or friends who wanted to play games on my account and I wasn't so OCD about my achievements, I would let them play and no one, not even Microsoft has the authority to tell me I can't, after I pay $60 a year to them. Putting it on par with steroids in sports is RIDICULOUS! Why should it offend you what other people do with their gamertag? I have a friend who shares his account with his older brother, he must be a cheater, ban him from gaming right? He might as well be injecting drugs in his ass. Hilarious. Upon reading what OP was saying I was surprised someone could care enough to ask that question, and then seeing most of you so bothered was very weird to me. I'm proud of my score, that's enough for me. Who cares what anyone else does it's so freaking harmless.
You completely missed the point. I don't care if some casual family fathers have a friend help them with a tough achievement. I care about aggressively taking advantage of multiple gamers on a single gamertag in scoring competitions and gamerscore leaderboards. For example, profile swapping. Some people do that too. What they do is give their account information to someone else who has a huge amount of imported games, the person already knows how to play them, and plays them again on the friends tag and might be able to score over 10 thousand gamerscore in a day without anyone knowing.

I expected these kind of reactions. The yearly Gamerscore League on this site is a completely unknown concept to you too, I assume?

If you want to hate on competitive scoring, this is not the right site to do it. I posted this thread here, because people here care about scoring in a legit way.
__________________





GSL 13 starting score: 330,305g | 100k - 24.8.2011 | 200k - 2.12.2012 | 300k - 1.12.2013

My top 10 shooter completions: Gears of War 3, Max Payne 3, F.E.A.R., F.E.A.R. 2, F.E.A.R. Files, Rainbow Six Vegas, Warhammer 40k Space Marine, Gears of War 2, Legendary, Left 4 Dead 2 (Realism Expert legit Dead Center & Hard Rain) | XBA shooter leaderboard: 132,764 GS (11th)
Kovy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #17
Dinh Master
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 152

Dinh Master's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy88 View Post
You completely missed the point. I don't care if some casual family fathers have a friend help them with a tough achievement. I care about aggressively taking advantage of multiple gamers on a single gamertag in scoring competitions and gamerscore leaderboards. For example, profile swapping. Some people do that too. What they do is give their account information to someone else who has a huge amount of imported games, the person already knows how to play them, and plays them again on the friends tag and might be able to score over 10 thousand gamerscore in a day without anyone knowing.

I expected these kind of reactions. The yearly Gamerscore League on this site is a completely unknown concept to you too, I assume?

If you want to hate on competitive scoring, this is not the right site to do it. I posted this thread here, because people here care about scoring in a legit way.
I care about legitimacy as well, but if someone else doesn't care about it I don't think they should be punished. Everyone here has the choice of how they want to accumulate their score. You should be proud of your accomplishments and that's it.
Dinh Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #18
Spanish Assault
 
Spanish Assault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13,331
Send a message via Skype™ to Spanish Assault

Spanish Assault's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Silver   Road Map - Bronze   Community Gaming - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterWhite View Post
I couldn't care less what anybody chooses to do with their gamertags or how they play games, hack gamerscore, cheat, boost, whatever. It doesn't change the way I play and has nothing to do with me. I do enjoy reading the posts from the people that come back and cry victim when they get caught doing this shit though.
THIS.

As long as it doesn't effect my online experiance then I don't care.

I do love the "Why was I banned" posts in the xbox forums.
__________________
Thanks to Raj for the signature and BEA for the avatar!


Spanish Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #19
Kovy88
 
Kovy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 218

Kovy88's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   GSL 12 Winner   Family Corner Challenge Club - Tier 1   Over Achiever - Gold
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh Master View Post
I care about legitimacy as well, but if someone else doesn't care about it I don't think they should be punished. Everyone here has the choice of how they want to accumulate their score. You should be proud of your accomplishments and that's it.
Yeah, so I accomplished what I created this thread for. To have peoples opinions on this matter, and you say you care about legitimacy so that's cool. Like I said earlier, I didn't make this thread to point fingers at tag-teamers or get them banned, just for conversation. And if I need to prove that people consider tag-teaming not cool, and that they do not encourage it, the prove is in this thread right here.
__________________





GSL 13 starting score: 330,305g | 100k - 24.8.2011 | 200k - 2.12.2012 | 300k - 1.12.2013

My top 10 shooter completions: Gears of War 3, Max Payne 3, F.E.A.R., F.E.A.R. 2, F.E.A.R. Files, Rainbow Six Vegas, Warhammer 40k Space Marine, Gears of War 2, Legendary, Left 4 Dead 2 (Realism Expert legit Dead Center & Hard Rain) | XBA shooter leaderboard: 132,764 GS (11th)
Kovy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #20
Dinh Master
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 152

Dinh Master's Gamercard
Fair enough.
Dinh Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #21
crusin
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 219

S6T SLAU6HTER23's Gamercard
i totally disagree with it its cheating id soon prefer to play and earn the achievements on my own unless its for co op
__________________





credit goes to killerBEA for awsome sig
crusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #22
Chaz Of Sparta
 
Chaz Of Sparta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 837

Chaz Of Sparta's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
If they're just playing for fun (e.g. shared account), then I'm ok with it. However, if they're doing it in competitions and/or for leaderboard places, then it's basically cheating.

Admittedly, I have some achievements that were earned by my brother and dad. They played on my profile and unlocked a few on games like FIFA and LOTR without really realising what they were doing (this was before I started achievement hunting), but ever since then I've earned everything myself and I intend to keep it that way.

IMO, gamertags are personal to you, but if people want to share accounts, then I don't see anything wrong with it, just as long as they don't abuse it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WipeoutBoy1 View Post
Why, do you wanna watch do you. Prick
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhunterrrr View Post
Big advantage of a console? Don't have to play with "PC master race" idiots.

Chaz Of Sparta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #23
Puppys
Dawn of the Final Day
 
Puppys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Citadel
Posts: 5,403
Send a message via Skype™ to Puppys

x1001x Puppys's Gamercard

Awards Showcase RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 2   Staff Club - KillerBEA   5,000 Posts   Staff Club - DEG23   Subscriber - Bronze   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - rekikire   Donator - Level 2   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - troy0891   Community Gaming - Silver
Total Awards: 39 (more» ...)
Doug summed up the answer perfectly. Even if I said "Doug, get this hard achievement for me" I would feel like it would further deteriorate the purpose of achievements. Sure, I'd love to give my tag away to someone to complete SC V or Batman for me, but then I would feel cheated myself. My brother and I have worked on some achievements together, taking turns grinding, boosting, etc. But I was always at least a part of the process rather than passing the controller to him for the entire thing. Besides, he isn't as hardcore as me and can't earn anything I couldn't do anyway
__________________


Feel free to check out my Extra Life 2014 page [HERE], all proceeds go to Children's Hospitals!
Puppys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #24
Spanish Assault
 
Spanish Assault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13,331
Send a message via Skype™ to Spanish Assault

Spanish Assault's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Silver   Road Map - Bronze   Community Gaming - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppys View Post
Doug summed up the answer perfectly. Even if I said "Doug, get this hard achievement for me" I would feel like it would further deteriorate the purpose of achievements. Sure, I'd love to give my tag away to someone to complete SC V or Batman for me, but then I would feel cheated myself. My brother and I have worked on some achievements together, taking turns grinding, boosting, etc. But I was always at least a part of the process rather than passing the controller to him for the entire thing. Besides, he isn't as hardcore as me and can't earn anything I couldn't do anyway
It does kind of explain how you have so many completions...hmmm.




__________________
Thanks to Raj for the signature and BEA for the avatar!


Spanish Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #25
fastNcurious
 
fastNcurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: California
Posts: 2,695

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
All I have to add is: you guys are judging this based on your own values. If earning an achievement is something personal, then I can see why you think it's "cheating." If someone's main goal is to increase GS as fast as possible within legal means, then to them it's ok; the "earning" part is meaningless to them.

Consider a household account. Say I have one Xbox, one gamertag, and one Live/Gold account. I game on it. My brother games on the same account. Our cousins, friends, etc. play on the same one when they come over. The Xbox is set to default load that profile. Are we all cheating then because there are so many of us unlocking achievements?
fastNcurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:35 AM   #26
TriRock
 
TriRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Finnish Line
Posts: 2,004

TriRock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 1   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 2   You're DOOMED Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - The Pants Party   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 2   You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 2   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 1   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2
Total Awards: 42 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy88 View Post
I don't care if some casual family fathers have a friend help them with a tough achievement. I care about aggressively taking advantage of multiple gamers on a single gamertag in scoring competitions and gamerscore leaderboards. For example, profile swapping.
This is how I see it as well. Unless you're a total hermit, somebody else will play with your account and unlock the odd achievement. It really shouldn't bother anyone.

Having others play on your tag while you are at work or sleeping (aggressively, as you put it) is a completetly different matter, and I would have no qualm with some kind of punishment for these people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy88 View Post
If you want to hate on competitive scoring, this is not the right site to do it. I posted this thread here, because people here care about scoring in a legit way.
Yeah, you'd think that's the case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh Master View Post
I care about legitimacy as well, but if someone else doesn't care about it I don't think they should be punished.
I don't understand this kind of thinking. The rules are there to even the playfield, to give everyone equal opportunities, but you think some are 'above the law'?
__________________
10k 29/03/09 - 100k 17/07/10 - 200k 02/09/11 - 300k 02/02/13 - 400k 20/11/13 - 500k 25/10/14

Achievement #1000: Seek and Destroy - #10000: Fully Evolved - #20000: Data Security

Overachiever: 55 points - 16 Staff Clubs - C/F Clubs 10-5-2




TriRock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #27
Dinh Master
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 152

Dinh Master's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriRock View Post

I don't understand this kind of thinking. The rules are there to even the playfield, to give everyone equal opportunities, but you think some are 'above the law'?
You don't understand this kind of thinking??? You're basically telling me that you think a human being should be punished (lawfully even, you used that word) for collecting something a different way than you. That's completely absurd. That's all it is, collecting. I used to collect bottle caps when I was a kid, but my brother and I shared our collection. Should we have been penalized? Cause when it gets right down to it, it's no different.

That being said, I've never let anyone get an achievement for me, if someone did, my OCD would kick in and I would do the task anyway just to feel like I could have gotten it. But that's me and I have nothing against people helping a player accumulate gamerscore.

But like some of you said, there are competitions? Well in that case, yes it would be cheating. If there is money involved, prizes, whatnot, then yes there are rules to a competition, and they should not be allowed outside help.
Dinh Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #28
TriRock
 
TriRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Finnish Line
Posts: 2,004

TriRock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 1   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 2   You're DOOMED Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - The Pants Party   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 2   You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 2   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 1   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2
Total Awards: 42 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh Master View Post
You don't understand this kind of thinking??? You're basically telling me that you think a human being should be punished (lawfully even, you used that word) for collecting something a different way than you. That's completely absurd. That's all it is, collecting. I used to collect bottle caps when I was a kid, but my brother and I shared our collection. Should we have been penalized? Cause when it gets right down to it, it's no different.
I can't tell if you're trolling me or just being dense. Yes it is different. By going online you had to agree Microsoft's ToS which prohibits this kind of behaviour, and among other things agreed that Microsoft could close your account if you deviated from the ToS. No amount of moronic comparisons or childish excuses change that. Christ on a bike, are you 12?
__________________
10k 29/03/09 - 100k 17/07/10 - 200k 02/09/11 - 300k 02/02/13 - 400k 20/11/13 - 500k 25/10/14

Achievement #1000: Seek and Destroy - #10000: Fully Evolved - #20000: Data Security

Overachiever: 55 points - 16 Staff Clubs - C/F Clubs 10-5-2




TriRock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #29
Dinh Master
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 152

Dinh Master's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriRock View Post
I can't tell if you're trolling me or just being dense. Yes it is different. By going online you had to agree Microsoft's ToS which prohibits this kind of behaviour, and among other things agreed that Microsoft could close your account if you deviated from the ToS. No amount of moronic comparisons or childish excuses change that. Christ on a bike, are you 12?
Yeah, and there's also laws (much bigger ones) about streaming movies and tv shows, yet we all do it anyway. There's no law against getting help with achievements, I'd like to see a trial on that. Microsoft's ToS is not the law, get your shit straight. I'm still baffled that someone compared it to steroids in competitive sports. HA
Dinh Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #30
Evo Kazz
 
Evo Kazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Manchester U.K
Posts: 5,215

II Kazz II's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Silver   Over Achiever - Platinum   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Staff Club - Shinobi273   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Staff Club - Rajeanero   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Tyger7   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 3
Total Awards: 28 (more» ...)
This reminds me of Stallion, who achievement whores worshipped, then there was rumors he was tag teaming and the hate rolled in, I remember thinking, who cares! Same here, there's too many people invest time in what others are doing, focus on your own gaming I say. If people wish to cheat, share, tag team, play upside down, play while taking a shit, play naked...who cares! (Unless your playing UNO, then care!!)
__________________




Arcade Crazy - 26 - Over Achiever - 54 - XB1 Points - 39
Franchise Clubs - 5x Tier 1, 3x Tier 2, 1x Tier 3
Staff Clubs - 10


Evo Kazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:44 PM.