PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Dynasty Warriors 6
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
G315T

G315T's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Expierience, Weapons, Horses, and Chaos Mode FAQ

I'm am writing this mini-guide as a companion to my Achievement guide, which can be found here.

The contents of this thread are not neccessarily achievement related, but will make getting the achievements a lot easier - especially if you're new to the series.

Contents

1) Experience
a) Experience Breakdown
b) Experience Farming

2) Weapons
a) Weapon Breakdown
b) Weapon Farming
c) Weapon Tips

3) Horses
a) Horse Breakdown
b) Horse Development
c) "Rare" Horses
d) Horse Farming
e) Horse Training
f) Horse Tips

4) Chaos Mode
a) Character Selection
b) Weapon Selection
c) Horse Selection
d) Strategic Considerations
e) General Advice

Experience

a) Breakdown
The concept of experience is pretty simple. Do stuff, get exp, gain levels, grow in power.

The breakdown of how to earn experience in DW6 is thus:

Kills: You gain 100 experience for every 100 kills, up to 1000 kills. If you score 52 kills, you get no experience for kills. If you score 698 kills, you get 600 experience for kills. If you score 2142 kills, you get 1000 experience for kills.

Targets: Completing the scenario specific targets will reward you with experience and a weapon for each target. The value of the target is specific to each target. The value is also modified by the difficulty you are playing on. Higher difficulty = more exp from targets.

Pouches: Pouches are most commonly dropped by officers, in values of 50, 100, and 200. Enemies killed by your Special attack can also drop pouches worth 10. Officers killed by Grab or Grapple moves will drop an experience pouch of double the value they normally would. Grabs are performed by holding LB and pressing X (normal grab) or Y (guard breaker grab). Officers may also challenge you to a duel, you will know this has happened when the soldiers gather around you and your opponent in a circle. If you defeat an officer this way, they will drop more valuable experience pouches.

Kill, target, and pouch experience is applied immediately to the character as you play, allowing them to level-up during a scenario. The last two kinds of experience are not applied until after the scenario has been won.

Time: Experience points are rewarded based on how quickly you finish a level. Different scenarios have different values and goals for time.

Chain: The value of Chain experience is based on your highest renbu (hit combo) chain during the level. You are rewarded 1 exp per chain. A highest-chain of 557 will get you 557 experience at the end of the level. Chain experience maxes out at 1500.

b) Experience Farming

There are many ways to farm experience, but there are two that are the most efficient in my opinion. With any method of farming experience, though, it will help a great deal in the long run to log in your second controller even if nobody else is playing. Just by sitting there as you go through the level your second-player character will gain 1-4 levels depending on the circumstances. This method is a great way to level up characters you don't want to play, or for leveling up characters you want to play but not at a low level... it will also significantly shorten the time needed to get the "All Characters to 50" acheivement.

i) Rushing: This method of experience farming aims to get you through the scenario as fast as possible, ignoring all other objectives. This method works by guaranteeing a high "Time Bonus" and with proper map selection you will also be rewarded Target experience and weapons. This method also works well as it allows you to play many scenarios in a short time. The best map for this, in my opinion, is the Wei Forces side of He Fei Castle. You can rush to the southwest corner, kill Sun Quan and his pals, and generally score a lot of officer drops as well as all 3 Targets in under 2 minutes. Guan Du also works well for this method.

A fairly typical Rushing example: He Fei Castle, Easy, Wei side. Yue Ying level 25. 3min 30 seconds, 7100 exp. I should stress that I was lazy on this run. My fastest time on this scenario is 57 seconds.

ii) Officer Hunting: This method aims to get you maximum experience from killing. This method should generally produce more weapon and horse drops as well. Your Kill exp and Chain exp will also be much higher this way. Choose a map that has a high concentration of officers in a small space. Guan Du, Wei side is very good for this, as most of the enemy officers on the map rush the middle two bases. On whichever map you choose, hunt down and kill however many officers you wish as quickly as possible. Done efficiently this method should net you a decent Time bonus as well.

Fairly typical example: Guan Du, Normal, Cao Cao's forces. Yue Ying level 22. 15 minutes, 6150 exp.

Clearly, Rushing is going to be better experience per hour. The problem with doing the Rush method is that it gets really boring, really fast. Playing through scenarios as "nature intended" is a lot more fun. I tend to alternate between the two.

Of course, simply playing the game will score levels for your characters, but if you intend to get the "All characters to 50" achievement in a timely fashion you'll want a method.

Quid quid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Killing with a vehicle mounted gun is nothing, doing it while airborne is impressive, but upside down while airborne? F***, THAT's an achievement!

Last edited by G315T; 03-12-2008 at 11:52 PM.
G315T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
G315T

G315T's Gamercard

2) Weapons

If you're a veteran of the Dynasty Warriors series, please note that in DW6 there are no special "Fourth Weapons" for each character. Every weapon has the same potential for stats.

a) Weapon Breakdown

Weapon type: There are 3 kinds of weapons - Skill, Standard, and Strength based.

Skill weapons will swing faster as your Renbu level increases.
Standard weapons will increase in range as your Renbu level increases.
Strength weapons will hit harder as your Renbu level increases.

Weapon power: Weapon power is a somewhat abstract value intended to indicate the strength of a particular weapon. Ranging from the mid-50s up to 100 in value, I'm not sure exactly how a power value translates to damage done by the character, but a higher value is generally better.

Element: There are also 3 elemental traits that can appear on weapons, one per weapon.

Lightning: When it triggers, lightning will cause a small amount of extra damage and stun your opponent, generally causing them to fall over.
Fire: When it triggers your strikes will cause extra damage over a few seconds.
Ice: When it triggers, effected enemies will become frozen in place and take increased damage when struck.

Traits: A weapon may also have up to 4 other traits that add effects to the weapon.

Air Wave - A burst of air comes from the weapon, damaging an opponent if it hits them. The direction the wave goes depends on what character you're using, but generally the wave shoots behind you or to the side.

Arrow Sight - As you attack, arrows won't hit you. Not a very good weapon trait in my opinion, because unless you stand still a lot, arrows aren't going to hit you very often.

Balance - When you get into a grapple with an enemy officer, the grapple meter will start further to the right if you have Balance on your weapon. Normal grapples start at 50% green and 50% red, but with Balance they start at about 75% green, 25% red.

Berserk - Allegedly causes more damage while reducing your defense. I do not notice a significant increase in damage done, but DO notice a significant increase in damage taken. Not a good weapon trait, especially on higher difficulty levels.

Concentration - Increases Musou damage, but shortens the time. Not a good trait, as one of the most important effects of your Musou attack is that it makes you invincible. The longer you're invincible, the better, not to mention you put in more attacks which is more chances for Flash to trigger.

Flash - Randomly triggers to kill soldiers and corporals outright, or does massive damage to Lieutenants, Guard Captains, and enemy Generals. Can break an enemy's guard when it triggers. This is by far the best weapon trait in DW6. This is an absolute neccessity in my opinion when playing on Chaos difficulty.

Leech - Can trigger to steal life from your enemies and add it to your own health. While good in theory, the effect seems to trigger very rarely and not for much effect.

Mystic Seal - Increases the regularity with which the elemental effect on your weapon will trigger. Seems to work well.

Renbu Spirit - Increases the time you have between chains to continue the chain. The increase is significant, so if you really like seeing big chain numbers this one's for you. If you don't care so much, well, it's no big deal.

True Musou - With this on your weapon, every Musou attack will be a True Musou attack, which is normally only available when your character is in the "red" for health. True Musou attacks deal more damage and trigger your weapon's elemental effect rather prolifically.

b) Weapon Farming

i) Level and Difficulty: The power of the weapons you get in levels is generally governed by the difficulty of the scenario you are playing, and the difficulty level you're playing on. Scenario difficulty has a greater effect than difficulty level. If you play a 1-bar difficulty scenario on Chaos difficulty, you will get less powerful weapons than if you had played a max-bar difficulty scenario on Easy. Combining Chaos difficulty with a max-bar difficulty scenario gives you the best chance of aquiring the most powerful weapons (100 power, 4 traits) but is by no means guaranteed.

ii) The Farm. He Fei Castle, Wei Forces side, is probably the best place to farm weapons. I've spent so much time here I should've bought real estate. It is a max-bar difficulty scenario that can be finished in under a minute, which combined with a horse that has Find Weapon, would net you a minimum of 4 weapons. Even on Easy difficulty you can aquire some respectable 80+ power weapons with nice traits. Simply load into the level and run straight for Sun Quan and kill him. If you take too long, you can fail 1 or 2 of the targets. On easier difficulties this isn't so much of a problem, and you can stop to kill all the officers surrounding Sun Quan, but on Chaos it is advisable to just go kill Sun Quan as fast as possible. The best way to bootstrap a low-level character into a powerful weapon is to play this map on Chaos with the character you want to have better weapons on your second controller, and finish it with a level 45+ character. That way, both characters can get 4 weapons.

If you haven't got someone to help you play: On any level, if you haven't got someone to help you move a character, and the starting area for the scenario isn't safe you must move the second character to a safe location yourself. Specifically on He Fei Castle you should play the first player character, and with the second controller you turn around 180 degrees and follow the hallway. At the T intersection, turn right and go down the stairs. Then, jump in the water below the belt trap. Your second character is safe in the water.

Now, this might sound a little ridiculous, but it is very possible to control both characters at the same time just for running. While I'm running toward Sun Quan with the first controller, run and dump the character on controller number 2 in the water. Takes some practice.

c) Weapon Tips

Weapons Style is really dependent on the character and your play style. I use "standard" on almost every character because the range of your weapon contributes directly to your safety. When enemies are being hit, they can't hit you, and the further away they are they better.

Weapon power is pretty self explanitory, more is better.

Ice is easily the most effective element, especially on higher difficulties. You should be relying on Flash for most of your damage to enemy generals, and Ice provides you with a method of controlling your opponent not offered by Lightning or Fire.

Flash is, in my opinion, the most important trait on a weapon. Every weapon I use on all my characters has Flash on it. The higher level difficulty you're playing on the more important (and noticable) Flash becomes.

Good Traits: Flash, Mystic Seal, Renbu Spirt, True Musou, Air Wave

So-so traits: Balance, Leech, Arrow Sight

Traits to Avoid: Berserk, Concentration.

The perfect weapon for any character, imo, would be: Standard, 100 Power, Ice Element, Flash, Mystic Seal, True Musou, and Renbu Spirit.

Killing with a vehicle mounted gun is nothing, doing it while airborne is impressive, but upside down while airborne? F***, THAT's an achievement!

Last edited by G315T; 03-08-2008 at 01:20 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
G315T

G315T's Gamercard

3) Horses

The first thing to note about Horses in Dynasty Warriors 6 is that while having a good horse is very important, cultivating good horses can become a massive and needless time sink. There are no achievements directly related to the aquisition of horses, but having a good horse will make everything else easier to a degree.

Developing a good horse can be incredibly tedious and time consuming, as it is all but entirely based on luck.

a) Horse Breakdown

Name: Your horse's name is completely meaningless. It is comprised of two words chosen at random from two different lists of words and smashed together. If your friend has a great horse named "Ridiculous Mouse" there is absolutely no guarantee that if you unlock a horse by the same name that he will have any similar stats, traits, element, or color.

Title: Your horse's title is a reflection of its' stats. The title of your horse does not effect the way your horse performs.

Experience: Your horse will gain levels up to level 5. Levels are gained at 1000, 2000, 3000, and 5000 experience. Experience is gained at a rate of 20 exp per kill while mounted, up to 50 kills (1000 exp) per scenario. At the end of a level a bonus of between 400-600 will be granted depending on the difficulty of the scenario.

Stats: Your horse has four statistics which can go as high as 500 each.
Speed: How fast your horse runs.
Jump: How high your horse jumps.
Destruction: How effective your horse is at plowing through groups of enemies.
Attack: How much damage your horse does when it runs over an enemy.

Element: Your horse can develop one of three elements.
Ice: When it triggers, will freeze and damage an enemy.
Fire: When it triggers, will cause an enemy to burn for a brief period.
Lightning: When it triggers, will stun an enemy and do some damage.

Traits: Your horse can develop up to 4 traits.
Arrow Dance: While running, you are immune to arrows.
Find Saddle: At the end of a scenario, an extra saddle will be awarded.
Find Weapon: At the end of a scenario, an extra weapon will be awarded.
Musou Spirit: While mounted, your Musou gague regenerates on its' own.
Renbu Gait: While mounted, your Renbu guage will not deplete.

See "Rare" Horses section for Rare traits.

b) Horse Development

i) Horse Potential. The potential of your horse is indicated by the text under his picture. Each horse has an "eye" type and a "body" type. Eye type dictates how many of the horse's stats will increase well when it levels up. Body type indicates the strength of the starting stats and how much the stats will increase when the horse levels up.

Eye type:
"Gazes into the distance" - Only one of the horse's stats will increase well.
"Miss nothing" - Two of the horse's stats will increase well.
"The world in clarity" - Three of the horse's stats will increase well.
"Considers the world" - All of the horse's stats will increase well.

It is worth noting that with the first three eye types, the SAME stats will increase well each time the horse levels. If you have a horse with "Eyes that miss nothing" and his Attack and Destruction increase a lot when he gets to level 2, his Attack and Destruction will be the ones that increase well for levels 3-5 as well.

Body type:
"Superior Physique" - High initial stats, poor stat increases when horse levels.
"Well Balanced" - Mediocre initial stats, medium stat inreases when horse levels.
"Untold Power" - Low initial stats, high stat increases when horse levels.
"Heavenly Physique" - High initial attributes, high stat increases when horse levels.

From here forward when I refer to a horse as "Rare" I mean a horse that has "Eyes that consider the world and a heavenly physique." In my experience, only this combination of features can produce the stats neccessary to aquire one of the rare traits.

ii) Initial Stats. The initial stats of a horse are also critical in the development of a Rare horse. Each stat can only be raised by so much each level, so a horse has a series of minimum stats it must have when you find it or it can't possibly aquire a rare trait.

Speed can go up a maximum of 39 per level. Therefore, for it to get to 500 speed, it must start with 344 speed.

Jump can go up a maximum of 49 per level. Therefore, for it to get to 500 jump, it must start with 304 jump.

Destruction can go up a maximumm of 96 per level. Therefore, for it to get to 500 destruction, it must start with 124 destruction.

Attack can go up a maximum of 79 per level. Therefore, for it to get to 500 attack, it must start with 184 attack.

While it is true that you need only 485+ in each stat for the horse to aquire a rare trait, you're going to want to shoot for 500 for a couple reasons. One, the stats won't always go up the maximum amount every time you level the horse. There is some randomness to it, and sometimes it might gain 38 or 33 speed. You have to account for this irregularity. If you happened to find a Rare horse with the absolute minimums required to reach 485 you would probably spend a lifetime resetting the game and replaying a level to try and get maximum skill increases every time. Given enough tries, it would work, but it would take forever. The other reason is that all 500's looks much cooler than 492/499/487/495.

Quick list: 344 Attack, 304 Jump, 124 Destruction, 184 Attack are the absolute minimums required for a horse's level 1 stats for it to attain stats of all 500 in value.

c) "Rare" Horses.

If you're a veteran of the DW series, you know that in most of the DW games you can find legendary horses such as Hexmark and Red Hare. They themselves can not appear in your stables, but special rare traits can be developed on horses that cause them to behave (and sometimes look) like the legendary horses from the previous games.

To aquire a Rare attribute, your horse must have all of it's stats increase above 485.

The potential rare traits are determined by the color of your horse.

Light Brown = Steel Hoof - Horse can run over anyone, including officers.
Brown = Winged Hoof - When horse jumps/falls from high enough, it damages surrounding enemies.
Dark Brown = Jagged Hoof - Increased trample damage.
Black = Shadow Spirit - Rider can't be knocked off of the horse.
White = Water Spirit - Horse's swim speed increased.
Red = Wind Spirit - Horse is as fast as Red Hare.

It's possible I have the colors messed up, as there are 3 shades of brown I may have confused them. I'll sort them out if it turns out I have them wrong.

See the section on Horse Training for further details.

d) Horse Farming

First of all, difficulty level does not appear to have a dramatic effect on the aquisition of the best possible horses. Playing on higher difficulty levels seems to eliminate the chance for the WORST possible horses from appearing, but without increasing the odds of getting the best horse. I scored both of my "Rare" horses playing on Easy using the method of farming below. Playing on higher difficulty levels would minimally increase the likelyhood of getting a Rare horse while taking a LOT longer to complete each level.

i) The Method. Battle of Guan Du, Cao Cao's forces, Easy difficulty. Use a horse (on both controllers if possible) that has Find Saddle on it. When the level starts, run west and jump off the cliff. Hidden near the cliff in that little forest will be a box with a saddle in it. Run north to Wu Chao and kill Yuan Shao. Rinse, repeat until you have horses you want.

In every level there will be one enemy general carrying a saddle. It is up to you if you want to stop and kill enemy generals along the way to go for an extra saddle, but with as many generals as there are you've got a 25%-ish chance of getting that saddle if you kill all the generals along the "speed path" for this method.

You can NOT use an interim save at the end of a level to finish the level and reload it if you didn't get the horse or weapons you wanted. The value of the weapons and the stats of the horses are determined at the start of the level and will not change if you do this.

ii) Lady Luck. The very nature of luck prevents me from quantifying how much or how little this skill helps, but one can only assume that since the developers saw fit to include this skill that it helps. Using a character with this skill allegedly improves the quality of horses and weapons found in the scenario. Characters with the Lady Luck skill are: Liu Bei, Guan Ping, Yuan Shao, Xi Zhu, Zhen Ji, and Xiao Qiao.

e) Horse Training

i) How a Horse Develops as it levels. When you horse levels up, it will gain stats as outlined above. It can also gain traits depending on what level it is, if the stats are all over 485, and what color the horse is.

At level 2, the gain is purely statistical.
At level 3, your horse can gain an Elemental Trait and one of Arrow Dance, Find Saddle, or Musou Weapon as well as stats.
At level 4, your horse can gain either Musou Spirit or Renbu Gait as well as stats.
At level 5, your horse's stats increase. If your horse's stats are all above 485 it can gain one of the skills it did not gain previously, as well as the "Rare" trait for the color of that horse.

Last edited by G315T; 03-05-2008 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
G315T

G315T's Gamercard

(Uhoh, Horse FAQ running over. =p )

ii) Developing the best possible horse.
Very simply, the "best possible horse" is a horse with all stats at 500 with an element and traits you like. You can pretty easily just level up the horse and hope for the best, but there are some things you can do to better guide the development of a horse if you're willing to put in the time.

First of all, don't settle for anything less than a "Consider/Heavenly" Rare horse.

Second, do the math. The minimum stats are 344 Speed, 304 Jump, 124 Destruction, and 184 Attack. Maximum gains for each stat per level are as follows: Speed +39, Jump +49, Destruction +96, Attack +79.

I use a scrap piece of paper and write out a horse's potential stats for each level, and if any of the horse's stats are too low to possibly be increased beyond 485, I discard that horse. I also use this to track the development of the horse to ensure it's growing to it's potential. Example:

Lv1 Lv2 Lv3 Lv4 Lv5
336 375 414 453 492 (Speed)
361 410 459 508 557 (Jump)
140 236 332 428 524 (Destruction)
196 275 354 433 512 (Attack)

The first column is the horse's starting stats. Each column after that is the maximum potential stat for each level. It is highly unlikely that you will ever get a horse to develop exactly as a chart like this suggests, however it is useful to use as a comparisson to ensure your horse will achieve whatever goal you've set for it. This particular chart tells me that I have to make sure my speed increases stay high, while I can deal with sub-standard Jump stat gains.

If when you level up your horse has not gained stats as you would have liked, or traits you like, simply drop yourself out to the Xbox360 Dashboard and try again. The method described below for levelling up your horses will help ensure you waste as little time as possible doing this.

iii) Levelling your horses.

Horse levelling is very simple. To maximize their growth you simply need 50 mounted kills in a level. That's it. So, play a level that can be finished quickly. Difficulty doesn't matter. I play Guan Du on Easy. I ride to Yuan Shao, killing 50 soldiers along the way, and finish the level.

On the level-up screen for the horse make SURE that your horse has advanced in a way you like BEFORE you save. If you horse levels up but does not level up how you wanted it to, you can drop yourself to the Xbox360 Dashboard and play the level again. This whole process won't take more than a couple minutes each time.

Keep in mind your horse's development is NOT going to be PERFECT. If you keep resetting until you get perfect development you're going to spend days training a single horse. You're going to have to accept some non-maximum gains on some stats if you want to do this in any kind of time efficient manner. 497/500/492/500 on a horse is better than all 500's if I didn't waste 6 hours training the horse.

f) Horse Tips

You can "call" your horse from anywhere on the battlefield by pressing Down on the directional pad.

By holding LB, you can Defend while on horseback which allows you to move your horse in a more controlled manner. Good for picking up items.

Horsemanship increases the effective stats of the horse you're riding at the time. A character with Horsemanship can trigger the "Winged Hoof" shockwave damage ability simply by jumping, whereas characters without horsemanship must jump from slightly higher than their landing to trigger the effect.

I would advise strongly against farming saddles WHILE you level up your horses. You do not want to be forced to choose between a bad level up for a horse and a Rare saddle.

Consider/Heavenly horses are incredibly rare and if you are looking for a specific color of rare horse, it is six times more rare. All of the Rare Traits are useful in their own way, and the horses that achieve them tend to be very good even without them. If you spend a lot of time looking for a specific color Rare horse you stand a good chance of going crazy doing so. I've gone through hundreds of saddles, I'm about half way done the "All characters to 50 achievement", and I have gotten a total of 5 Rare horses. 3 Winged Hoof horses, 1 Jagged Hoof, and 1 Steel Hoof.

Last edited by G315T; 03-07-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
G315T

G315T's Gamercard

4) Chaos Mode

Chaos mode in DW6 is probably harder than any other previous Dynasty Warriors. The AI doesn't get any more clever, everything just hits you a LOT harder and has a lot more hitpoints.

a) Character Selection

The argument could be made that any character can play Chaos mode. While technically true, if you're just playing Chaos mode for the achievement, you're going to be better off using certain characters over others. Choosing a character that is less likely to get hit is key. Good foot-speed and a good defensive roll (RB) move are important. When you get hit, you get stunned momentarily which often means you get hit again. In Chaos mode, most level 50 characters die in half a dozen hits from peons and can be one-shotted by certain officers' special moves.

i) Resist the temptation to use Lu Bu. In DW6 he's slow and his weapon has a tiny range. I realize he's the ultimate badass in most other DW games, but he's just not in DW6.

I see a lot of people complaining that Chaos is too hard because they can't beat levels on Chaos with a level 50 Lu Bu. Lu Bu is a terrible terrible character for Chaos in DW6. I can't say this enough times.

ii) Sun Shang Xiang and Yue Ying have nearly identical movesets, and both have great skill trees. I slightly prefer Yue Ying's skill tree, but whichever of them you use, their normal attacks, Musou, and defensive roll do a fantastic job of allowing you to kill efficiently without putting yourself in harm's way. Both characters use a Bow, the range of which is easily 4x further than any other character, and in most cases a good 10x further. These two are weak when surrounded, but both have Spirit tiles in their skill tree, so building Musou to use as an escape method is very very easy.

iii) Zhuge Liang. While not my first choice, he's not a bad option. His "Fire" special attack is the most ridiculous damaging thing ever. On any map where it's possible to run in and assassinate a general to complete the scenario, you can use his fire attack to knock the target and everyone else in the base down to 25%-ish, then finish them off easily in one Musou. A couple other characters have Fire as a special, but I don't like them as much because they're slower and/or close combat characters. Zhuge Liang also has an awesome "Y" button attack while mounted. You can ride around a group of enemies in a clockwise circle and hit Y until everything is dead and have no fear of retribution. It's also a good way to build Musou.

My first choice for Chaos mode would be either Yue Ying or Sun Shang Xiang, but like I said above, any character can do it if you really want them to.

b) Weapon Selection

Flash. I've played a few levels with characters with no Flash weapon on Chaos, and you can do it, it's just horribly annoying and boring. The officers have tons and tons of hitpoints in Chaos and even with level 50 characters, without flash, it takes a long long time to beat them down.

The guide I laid out concerning weapons applies here as well, but Flash becomes more important as you increase the difficulty level. A 90+ weapon with Ice and Flash is really the minimum I like to play with on Chaos and did some farming on He Fei to try and get the characters I was playing Chaos with a good weapon.

c) Horse Selection

In general, your horse selection for Chaos mode should not be too much different than horse selection on any other mode. You won't always have an awesome horse available. Jump is the least important stat, the other three are what you have to watch. Speed and attack are obvious, but what good's a fast horse with high attack if it trips over every peon you run into?

When you get some more advanced horses available it's really a matter of personal preference. Musou spirit is my skill of choice on a horse, but some people prefer different ones. I also like Steel Hoof. Steel Hoof allows you to trample on any number of any kind of enemy soldiers without the horse stopping. I have completed Guan Du on chaos several times with characters barely over level 40 by simply trampling back and forth over Yuan Shao and his friends in their camp.

d) Strategic Considerations

i) Your "can't die" generals die a lot faster on Chaos mode.

Two things you have to do in Chaos to prevent mission-critical generals from dying are a) Assassinate the mission target as fast as possible so there isn't enough time for your scenario-failure general to die. If you can't do a, do b) Babysit the general that can't die any time he's under attack. Like when you play Sun Jian's (I think - could be the Wu side) Battle of He Fei, Xiahou Dun rushes down the left side and Zhao Liang rushes down the right side into Sun Jian's base and he'll die almost immediately after the generals arrive if you're not there to protect him.

In most missions, the general on your team that has to survive sits inside a base and does nothing. If he roams around fighting or gets attacked at his base you need to babysit him until the threat is dead or they die very quickly.

Lu Bu, for example, needs to be babysat through all of his missions because he runs around like an idiot fighting 5 generals at a time but on Chaos mode he's a huge wuss and he dies very quickly.

ii) Fight as little as you have to.

Doing the Chaos Master achievement, you probably aren't gunning for targets or anything else but finishing each level on Chaos. Do everything you can to stay out of combat unless you absolutely have to build your musou, kill a general, or take a base.

e) General Advice

The game does not track for you which scenarios you've played and completed on Chaos difficulty. The easiest way to keep track of this yourself is to simply play them in the order listed on the Free Mode level selection screen.

This Guide (This post and the previous four in this thread) is copywrited(c) J. Smeland 2008. Composed entirely and exclusively for use on the xbox360achievements.org website. This guide may not be copied and used elsewhere, in whole or in part, under any circumstances. Should I find this guide copied elsewhere I reserve the right to burn down your house, run over your dog, date your sister, or any combination of the three.

(Sorry if this seems like a stupid thing to put in a thread like this, but I've written a few guides for other games on other sites and I always find them popping up on sites I never intended them to be used on and it chaps butt when some random site is making advertising money from my compositions.)

Last edited by G315T; 03-29-2008 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
botafogo007

botafogo007's Gamercard
Wow, excellent guide so far. Any chance you could put a 'basic controls' section in for those who rent the game and, for example, can't figure out how to summon their horse (and yes, that would be me )? It could be pretty simple and should only take a couple minutes. Thanks!

Can we get a sticky?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
G315T

G315T's Gamercard

I'm already running out of room in some of the posts heheh. I added pressing down to call the horse to Horse Tips, but other than that there shouldn't be much confusion about the controls. Calling the horse is the only control function I think I've seen anyone miss.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #8
o0EVIL0o x360a

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I would like to see a sticky on this, I'll PM a mod. This is a great post.
o0EVIL0o x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
StumpyFlesh

CitizenErased18's Gamercard
Wow G315T, excellent guide. Excellent. This better get a sticky.

AC-130U- "You can run, but you'll only die tired."
StumpyFlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #10
tgo9970

Send a message via AIM to tgo9970 Send a message via MSN to tgo9970

TGO88's Gamercard
beautiful guide man thanks
tgo9970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
BrassBallz
Banned User

Sixgun Samurai's Gamercard
This guide rocks! I followed your guide for Horse Farming and Development and it worked flawlessly! Within an hour I had found a considers/heavenly horse which I developed into a Dapple King! 496/500/488/500 with Lightening Element, Musou Spirit, Renbu Gate, Winged Hoof, and Find Weapon. Now for the Red Hare... THANK YOU!
BrassBallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:36 AM   #12
Rashaka1

Rashaka1's Gamercard
Your weapon farming guide is a little flawed, it's not possible to leave a character sitting around on He Fei Castle. Both starting positions have an officer at them, so it's not possible to leave a character below 45ish on chaos at all, and it's extremely difficult to have 2 characters sitting around on the map period on chaos.

Even on easy, a level 20 character is dying while I'm trying to kill the final boss because they are in battle at the same time, I can't play them both, so I've no idea how you are able to do it, but it's extremely hit or miss for me.

Rashaka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:07 AM   #13
G315T

G315T's Gamercard

hehe I expected that people might figure it out on their own. Lemme add a section.

Edit: Section added.

Last edited by G315T; 03-08-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:34 AM   #14
Cliff Drive

Cliff Drive's Gamercard
Is there an easy way to keep track of which scenarios you beat on Chaos? I beat one and didn't notice anything different for the level
Cliff Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:22 AM   #15
G315T

G315T's Gamercard

Nope, you have to keep track of it yourself. Easiest way obviously is to just run down the list in order.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:56 AM   #16
Cliff Drive

Cliff Drive's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by G315T View Post
Nope, you have to keep track of it yourself. Easiest way obviously is to just run down the list in order.
Bummer, should add that into the guide, well i dunno how useful it'd be , but it'd sure answered my question

edit: oops, guess you did say so , my bad wasn't paying attention

Last edited by Cliff Drive; 03-16-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Cliff Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #17
G315T

G315T's Gamercard

Just FYI I have not forgotten about this or the achievement guide. I'll be finishing them next week. I was really busy IRL last week, I've been sick as a dog this week, and I'll be in Arizona next week. Sorry if it seemed like I was slacking.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:53 PM   #18
Metal Fury56

metal fury56's Gamercard
Hey, there seems to be one more bug i thought you should no about when you go back and fix little bits of your faq, your horse guide states that speed has to be at leaset 344 to get to at leaset 485, but you mentioned you had a horse that started off at 336 and then got to 492, so is the minimum speed 336, just wondering.
"If I Live, I will Kill You, If I Die, You are Forgiven."
Such is the Rule of Honor.
Metal Fury56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:57 AM   #19
WTYD

Chaos Moude's Gamercard
Horse levelling is very simple. To maximize their growth you simply need 50 mounted kills in a level. That's it. So, play a level that can be finished quickly. Difficulty doesn't matter. I play Guan Du on Easy. I ride to Yuan Shao, killing 50 soldiers along the way, and finish the level.

On the level-up screen for the horse make SURE that your horse has advanced in a way you like BEFORE you save. If you horse levels up but does not level up how you wanted it to, you can drop yourself to the Xbox360 Dashboard and play the level again. This whole process won't take more than a couple minutes each time.

You don't actually have to go all the way back to the dashboard you can just avoid saving then go to option and load the last save point.

If this has already been told or if you knew about it then forget what I said.
WTYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:18 AM   #20
G315T

G315T's Gamercard

344 is the absolute minimum level 1 horse speed to get 500, not 485. Shooting for 500 is not only sexier, but gives you some room for bad skillups. It is technically possible to get the rare horse trait on horses that start with all the stats 15 points lower than what I listed but you'd have to pretty much be a masochist to try it.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:19 AM   #21
G315T

G315T's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTYD View Post

You don't actually have to go all the way back to the dashboard you can just avoid saving then go to option and load the last save point.

If this has already been told or if you knew about it then forget what I said.

So you can just select all "No"'s on the save screen and jus tload your interim save?

Old 03-22-2008, 04:33 PM   #22
donkeydood15

DonkeyDood15's Gamercard
I managed to get a Consider/Heavenly brown horse today! Auburn King ftw

100% Retail: Halo 3, Lego Star Wars: TCS, Call Of Duty 4, Lego Harry Potter, Batman: Arkham Asylum
100% Arcade: Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Castlevania: HoD

donkeydood15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:51 PM   #23
WTYD

Chaos Moude's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by G315T View Post
So you can just select all "No"'s on the save screen and just load your interim save?
No, what I meant is that at the end of the level if you didn't get the stats you want it you don't actually have to go all the way back to the Xbox dashboard.
You can avoid saving and then at the main menu go to "options" and load. And try again and again...
WTYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #24
Vodos

Vodos's Gamercard
I hope someone still reads this forum
First off, great work with the guide!

I'm wondering what character you're using to farm weapons on chaos?
I tried SSX several times but it's basically a crapshoot. Sometimes he just falls over (lucky ice and flash procs) but most of the time I end up getting surrounded and die. I used her for other scenarios on chaos and it's fine since there's usually lots of room and usually not more than 3 generals at once.

Hei Fei on the other hand, I'm stuck on a tiny boat with like 6 generals and where ever I defensive roll to, I'm surrounded 2 seconds later. Often I can't even see where Sun Quan is standing when I'm firing off mouso with all the characters on screen.

Any tips? I'm new to the DW series btw!

Edit: forgot to mention that I'm grabbing the "Restore all" thingie on the boat.

Last edited by Vodos; 04-15-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Vodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:33 PM   #25
G315T

G315T's Gamercard

One of the keys to Chaos is to just keep moving. With SSX you should be firing at the closest enemies, if getting surrounded is an issue. I've used SSX to farm weapons so many times I sorta forget exactly how to keep enemies off her, but really you just gotta keep moving and shoot everything near you.

Also, defensive roll should really be a last resort move as it leaves you stationary for a fraction of a second you'll often get smacked while coming out of the roll. Roll has its' uses, but for the most part you should just be able to run through enemies and keep moving.

Silly as it might sound, it just takes practice to get used to how the enemies move and how you can avoid them. Eventually you won't think about it, you'll just do it.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #26
Vodos

Vodos's Gamercard
Cheers, I'll keep practicing then!
Vodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #27
lestat1989

Its really dark on the horse farming level and i can't find the crate. any specifics on it?

[advertisement removed by staff. not allowed.]
lestat1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:30 AM   #28
haipham

S1lienceAssas1n's Gamercard
Concentration is a crap trait. i hate it when you get a good flash+ice+mystical seal and there is the stupid concentration that come with it.
It doesnt do carp in Chaos mode that make ur musou a lot shorter.
haipham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:04 PM   #29
Manowar x

I Wouldnt even recommend SSX For Farming Weapons on Chaos,Use the Character you like best,I Use Gan Ning,Zhou Tai, Zhao Yun. Gan Ning is Untouchable if you know how to use him, Ive done a freemode Scenario with him, And beat both Zhang Fei and Guan Yu while they were Enraged/Inspired. *Meaning its 5-8 hits and youre dead.* Without getting hit, If you get chased by officers,use you're grapple moves WHEN THEYRE STUNNED. If you use them at any other time theyll just get a free hit and you're deadanated. Grapples do extreme damage depending on the characters, Gan Nings Does about 3/4- Nearly full damage on max bar scenario levels on Easy, and it takes alot of health of on Hard and Chaos.

So just practice with a character you're good with, Not SSX Witch is just the most Coward of the lot, stupid bows. The only thing good about her is the fact she can kill people from range. A True Warrior would go into the thick of it and fight it out, Right?

So use a character you love and are good with *I Personaly use Zhou Tai as hes my favourite, and has a badass sword.*
Manowar x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #30
Manowar x

Good Traits: Flash, Mystic Seal, Renbu Spirt, True Musou, Air Wave

So-so traits: Balance, Leech, Arrow Sight

Traits to Avoid: "Berserk", Concentration.

The perfect weapon for any character, imo, would be: Standard, 100 Power, Ice Element, Flash, Mystic Seal, True Musou, and Renbu Spirit.

It isnt the best for all characters,though. Some Rely on fast attack speeds and "Skill" Based Weapons And others Rely on Strength
e.g
Lu Bu Obviously - Strength,
Gan Ning - 1.Skill,2.Strength
Zhao Yun - Normal.
Ive found however that Gan Ning, With Beserker,Leech,Air Wave and Arrow Sight, And 91 AP Weapon, I can kill Officers on Expert, in about 5-6 hits, or 2 Grapples.
However, it require a tremendous amount of skill, Not to get hit.
Manowar x is offline   Reply With Quote