PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooters > John Woo Presents Stranglehold
Subscribe    Donate

Old 04-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
Valdarez

Valdarez's Gamercard
Thumbs down Good Game Gone Bad

This game started off really well. I enjoyed the cinematic approach, the innovate game play / interaction with the environment and gun fight / standoffs. I played it on normal, and it seem well balanced, until Chapter 5 when things started to go awry. Cover was more difficult to find, and enemies came from multiple directions. It really got bad in Chapter 6 where on one part there was no cover what so ever. I liked this game the first 2 to 3 hours I played it, but found myself despising it at the end, and angry at the developers for not putting in more strategic cover points in the later chapter.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Alfman1

Alfman1's Gamercard
I know where your coming from man.. This game started out awesome. It really reminds me of one of my childhood favourites 'Max Payne' as it gives you the ability to slow down time and all that and has pretty much the same control system etc.

The first four chapters were real good, then the museum level was hell (except the bit where you destroy the dinosaur =D)
and from then on it was just... stupid. No stragegy. Just running in circles shooting.. Healing.. Shooting.. Healing. Got v.v.v boring.

See my 100% Completed games here!!
Alfman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:49 AM   #3
ColossalKiller7

Send a message via AIM to ColossalKiller7

ColossalKiller7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I also found the final chapters very difficult. People would just completely surround you and I don't know how anybody could beat it on Hard Boiled yet Normal. Maybe I am just terrible.

ColossalKiller7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:47 AM   #4
aussiegamer

HoMiCiDaL362's Gamercard
Well ive only played the first 2 missions and its definately an awesome game.

Will have too see how i go towards the end..
aussiegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
Alfman1

Alfman1's Gamercard
The first two are piss easy. Its when you hit The Mega Restaurant that it starts getting hard.. No cover AT ALL so you just gotta run around like a crazy boy.. I'm currently stuck on protecting the band and have tried it a frickin hundred times

See my 100% Completed games here!!
Alfman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:13 AM   #6
Himuton

Himuton's Gamercard
I got HK Marketplace and Tai O completed on HB and that wasn't too hard if staying behind cover. It starts ridiculous once enemies come in groups in Mega. Even with two guitar cases, they can bring down your health faster than you can heal. When the boat guys crash in, their armor proves to be a disaster for us. And I quitted at that point, not even reaching the point three golden suits men armed with rockets come out of the lift.

Slum of Kowloon is hell... no cover is reliable and the rain blinds us from seeing hostiles in that crap. I finally beat it on Hard. Sometimes S. attack can save yr life.

A) Use text MSG. On Xbox.com, I can't open voice mails.

B) I speak poor English. Brace yourselves.
Himuton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
ShadowzKiller

ShadowzKiller's Gamercard
I thought the game was great. It was not spectacular, but definately was enjoyable. Great action. The game has great potential should they make second.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:04 AM   #8
Parkerktm

Send a message via AIM to Parkerktm

JUST DO IT7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   5,000 Posts   Submit - Gold   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
i Felt the same way bro, and the MP just completely ruined it in the end.

God Bless America

Parkerktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
Blazinvicar

Blazinvicar's Gamercard
I really enjoyed the whole game when i played it through on normal difficulty but that soon changed when i decided to do the game on hard-boiled. I almost smashed my xbox to pieces with some parts of the game but got there in the end, dont think i will be playing it ever again now though
Blazinvicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
Tenlo

Send a message via MSN to Tenlo

tenlo's Gamercard
It does start off well, especially with the environment kills, but towards the end they seem to have forgotten somewhat about them and its just straight kills, that's what I found most dissapointing
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die."

100% Retail 18/55

100% Arcade 5/18
Tenlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:18 AM   #11
JustiBoy

JustiBoy's Gamercard
Yeah, this game is pretty fun on the easier difficulties because you get to play it the way you would expect to: running right up to the bad guys, turning on slow-mo, shooting everything that moves, and walking away like nothing happened. The last few levels ruin the feel and playing on the harder difficulties turn the game into more of a cover-based shooting game, and a bad one at that.
JustiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
Wortsenawl

wortsenawl's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I kinda like it, but it is hard as hell on Hard Boiled... 3 out of 10 difficulty my arse. You just have to find a place to hold up and take them down slowly. I only find HB really tough when you have to go to the enemies... like the end of level 2 (planting the 4 bombs)... the enemies are static and the snipers... my god the snipers. How come when you pick up their guns they aren't the same? Maybe, it's 'cause I am not a trained sniper!?!

As for MultipPlayer... i think it is awesome fun. It is far more entertaining than playing Gow or Halo. Stranglehold MP is just out and out fun. The maps are small, the guns are plentiful... it's just a bullet fest.

Join Now!

Completed Games - [70] - Retail [54] - Arcade [16]:
**Most Recent**
Mafia II (all DLC)
LoTR: War in the North
Batman Arkham City (+CW DLC)
Track n Field
Secret of Monkey Island: SE
Dark Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromiumDragon View Post
First, let me say...you deserve to be banned, mocked, and flogged to death with a bag of dicks.
Wortsenawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:18 AM   #13
smafit

smafit's Gamercard
I'm still yet to complete the game myself.
I became very frustrated early in the game at how difficult it was... Perhaps i just hadn't fully mastered the controls.

It seemed really promising with bullet time and interaction with the environment. Now that i hear it only gets worse i'm somewhat concerned >_<.

~Smaf
smafit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #14
SnakeIntheboX

Snake Inthe boX's Gamercard
finished the game on hard, found the difficulty curb reasonable. End boss fight was tough as it should be. killed the sub boss by shooting out the legs of a giant statue, was awesome and unexpected
SnakeIntheboX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:50 AM   #15
beyondthegrave

Send a message via AIM to beyondthegrave

XKaosXTheoryX's Gamercard
Alfman who is the chick in the pic?

beyondthegrave is offline   Reply With Quote