PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Half Life 2: The Orange Box
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #61
Genuine Fiber

Make sure you sign out of XBL if you're going to cheat, I was messing around spawning HL2 weapons and the game knocked out all the medals I had, plus I had to finish chamber 19 again to even access the challenges.
Genuine Fiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #62
Dysitis

Dysitis's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFellaJake View Post
but the time challenges are a bitch though. even with videos i cant do the first time challenge
That was the hardest gold me. I'd recommend saving it for last.
Dysitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:11 PM   #63
Spades12321

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I had to use a cheat for the last one, testchamber 18 timed. I used portal bumps and glitches to get through some of the hard test chambers but I could not do the last one without cheats
Spades12321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:24 PM   #64
Tym

EmeraldSpaceCop's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
This video makes it so tempting, but I can't quite bring myself to cheat. =/
Tym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:34 PM   #65
Son of Kyuss

Son of Kyuss's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
For anyone actually attempting this. Chamber 13's Least Steps/Time will drive you crazy. That one was my last Gold I needed to get (Least steps iirc).
Old 08-01-2008, 12:54 AM   #66
shiftyK42

shiftyK42's Gamercard
For those doing 16 chamber, use invincible cheat it alone helps you go through easier. And for 18 chamber just use place portal anywhere one.
shiftyK42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:42 AM   #67
icypinksmurf

icypinksmurf's Gamercard
its good to know that 'cheating' is still possible or this would be totally impossible for me. i suck terribly at this ;(

REST IN PEACE ELIZABETH - RRoD'd on 10/11/08
Please NO Random Friend Requests!
icypinksmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #68
WilliamRLBaker

Send a message via AIM to WilliamRLBaker Send a message via Yahoo to WilliamRLBaker

williamrlbaker's Gamercard
I would think

I would think that people use it cause the gold medals are harder then hell and at times all most impossible unless your lucky or devote your entire life to geting them cause its not really believable when people say they got em in a day or on the first playthrough which has been said in this thread.

but from what i've heard in the thread achievements aren't unlocked if you cheat, even if you do the save game after loading technique.
WilliamRLBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #69
DrizztDourden43

Faulty Surgery's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe Argonian View Post
Yeah, but I still didn't use the cheats in Half-Life 2.
Wow...Oh My Goodness...You Are So Awesome...Please Father My Children. Give them a break man, this is a thread about cheating...not about how you are so amazing that you could do anything in the world and never cheat once. I guarantee that you have cheated one time or another, so please for the love of God just SHUT UP!
Old 08-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #70
Zeniun

The title of this thread is very misleading, most of the time the cheats don't even help (especially since crouching will count towards steps...so there goes the box cheat)

And I don't feel like spending the rest of my life trying to get these achievements, so I hereby award Portal with a little achievement of my own.

Thanks anyway though.
Zeniun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #71
Sentyu

Send a message via Yahoo to Sentyu

Sentyu's Gamercard
actually you can remap the buttons so you dont need to crouch :P

It's not the winning that counts it's the fact that i looked good while doing it!

Sentyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #72
Zeniun

Yea and if you move the left analog stick 1/1000th of a centimeter it counts as a step >_<
Zeniun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #73
Figgsy91
Banned User

Figgsy x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
This does not help for the footstep ones. There must be someway around them?
Figgsy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:30 AM   #74
Kaji

KajiAU's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamRLBaker View Post
its not really believable when people say they got em in a day
I literally got them in a day, the ones I got stuck on I'd check out a video for, and the only one that was *really* difficult was the companion cube level least steps. It is possible to do, on the steps levels 20% or so is luck getting the jump steps right etc.
Kaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:34 AM   #75
KoRnyWayz

KoRnyWayz's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by androsmere View Post
These cheats actually work really well for "least steps" because you can skip a lot of the level sometimes by placing a portal where you normally couldn't.

On the "least time" challenges, when you start the level save immediately, like in the first second. Then take your time entering the cheats you are going to use. Then reload that save you made in the first second of the level. All of your cheats should still be active and it's like you didn't waste any time entering them!

These cheats do not help at all on some levels, but on some they do. Good Luck!

Is this true?
KoRnyWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:47 AM   #76
Bergashnurga

Send a message via AIM to Bergashnurga

Bergashnurga's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4b0t View Post
You think so? My achievement was glitched so I was back to 0 and I managed to complete it in less than a day using those cheats. You can greatly reduce steps by using the portal anywhere cheat and you can actually skip great lenghts of levels in the time challenges by spawning an energy ball or swimming in the toxic liquid with invincibility.
i just found the cheats today and i thought it would be wrong of me to use them but i couldn't stop myself. they're pretty useful in my opinion and not just for achievements or completing levels. the make me feel free to explore all aspects of the levels and it's just interesting to see what all portal has to offer. even if people don't intend to use cheats to get achievements i'd encourage the use of them just to fuck around. it's fun
Bergashnurga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:49 AM   #77
digitalink

digitai ink's Gamercard
<begin rant>
to put in my two cents, games are supposed to be fun for the people playing them. if people can still have fun using codes provided by the developers i really don't see a problem. they aren't ruining the game for any of you people complaining. not to mention the fact no cheat helps with time or steps on testchamber 13. getting gold in both of them alone deserves an unlocked achievement. besides everyone knows pc version is easier with mouse/keyboard combo and the fact that it seems to register less steps, these codes take off some of that edge.
<end rant>

on a side note here are some tips for those doing it legit...

many people mention how a step or two is registered when exiting a portal. this only happens when your momentum is quick enough to cause your character to stumble when they hit the floor. to keep this from happing and to land softer don't place portals on the walls when possible. instead use the floors. when you rise up out of the floor of say and orange portal wait until you are about to fall back through it and shoot and orange portal elsewhere causing the portal beneath your feet to vanish and you to land softly on the floor without a step taken.

time challenges and least steps are not the same, dont treat them so. the key to least steps is precise portal placement, take your time and aim. and with the time, you need to constantly keep moving sometimes that involves more running then it does hoping through portals.

save often. even the pros do it. it saves alot of headache. on the time challenge it is alot more feasible to take on each room at a time then it is to do an entire run flawless. one of the great things about the online video walkthroughs, not only do they show you proven methods but provide a great guage of when to save. it lets you know what time or how many steps you should be at at a given point.
digitalink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #78
androsmere

ANDROSMERE's Gamercard
I bet 99.9% of the people who are bragging that they got this "legit" used video walkthroughs on the internet, which is a way of cheating anyway.
androsmere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 PM   #79
AjL227

Send a message via AIM to AjL227

AjL227's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Thank you for this. Now I will have everything but TF2 100% so far.

Looking for multiplayer friends in:::
1. GTA IV
2. Risk: Factions
3. Worms
4. Left 4 Dead
AjL227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:31 PM   #80
InfernalEternal

I have 17/18 Gold and only need to complete Chamber 13 (Steps). I fail to see how anyone could even legitly beat this challenge. I can manage to get 8 steps near the elevator, but walking/jumping brings me up to 12-13. Ive watched the YouTube videos but they havent helped what-so-ever because they're from the PC version. Any ideas?

Edit: Holy Hell. I have no idea how I managed to finally beat that...

Last edited by InfernalEternal; 09-28-2008 at 10:51 PM.
InfernalEternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:15 AM   #81
Falcongale
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Falcongale Send a message via Yahoo to Falcongale Send a message via Skype™ to Falcongale

Czech Falcon's Gamercard
Whoever said this doesnt help with 'least steps' you can do a lot of the challenges with 0-5 steps using the portal anywhere (YA BABY YA LEFT RIGHT) and spawn cubes (DOWN BABY DOWN BABY)
Falcongale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:20 PM   #82
Wes Ide

Send a message via AIM to Wes Ide Send a message via Yahoo to Wes Ide

Anghellic Karma's Gamercard
I don't suppose there exists walkthrus similar to PortalWalkthroughs.com that encompasses these cheats, is there?
Old 10-09-2008, 02:26 AM   #83
androsmere

ANDROSMERE's Gamercard
Walkthroughs using cheats? Hmm not that I know of. But if you use a regular walkthrough and play the level a time or two it will be obvious where you can benefit from the cheats.

androsmere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:02 AM   #84
good ol boy366

good ol boy366's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Ide View Post
I don't suppose there exists walkthrus similar to PortalWalkthroughs.com that encompasses these cheats, is there?
i doubt it, but here's the general strategy you're gonna want to follow:

least portal challenges: use box cheat, create energy ball cheat, portal anywhere cheat....remember you can just take your time on these.

least steps challenges: use box/energy ball cheats where needed, but you'll definitely use the portal anywhere cheat the most here...for these it's all about using the portals to move around and try not to land too hard when coming out of a portal or it will count as a step.

least time challenge: these are definitely the hardest even w/cheats...invincibility, portal anywhere, and maybe create energy ball will be the ones you use here.

the time ones and a few step ones will be the hardest to do, but just watch some strategy vids to find the best route to take and you'll get it em all eventually.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:40 AM   #85
Daftmouse

Avaritia Aurous's Gamercard
I am not planning on using these to gold medal the challenges, I just want to screw around with the cheats, how do you enter them? For the Spawn a Companion Cube, I tried it about 20 times with no sucess.
Daftmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:31 AM   #86
good ol boy366

good ol boy366's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftmouse View Post
I am not planning on using these to gold medal the challenges, I just want to screw around with the cheats, how do you enter them? For the Spawn a Companion Cube, I tried it about 20 times with no sucess.
just enter em during game-play...make sure you have the right cheats.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:31 AM   #87
Daftmouse

I was hitting the directions using the control stick not the D-Pad.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #88
Steve50013

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve50013

Steve50013's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Forza 3 Subscribers Tournament- Runner-Up   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Bronze   GTA IV Subscribers Tournament - Second Place   GSL 8 Winners   Uno Rush Subscribers Tournament - First Place   Call of Duty 4 Subscribers Tourn. - Third Place   N+ Subscribers Tournament - Second Place   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Personally I tried back in decemeber for these achievements and I finished it and it said oh wait you cheated no credit.

So unless you game has glitched and now lets you I wouldn't even bother get it legit.

Looking to boost: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Brutal Legend, Medal of Honor Airborne, WWE Smachdown vs Raw 2008, Gears 2 (Horde), Rainbow Six Vegas, Endwar, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock 2
Steve50013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:21 AM   #89
Daftmouse

The video that is linked explains how to get around that, you save just as you are about to beat the level then start a new game and then re-load the save file.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:30 PM   #90
Wanstall99
Banned User

Wanstall99's Gamercard
im gonna have to glitch cos some of them are gonna take ages lol
Wanstall99 is offline   Reply With Quote