PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
botafogo007

botafogo007's Gamercard
Guide to getting the Explosives and Engineering books

After finally getting 1,000 in Bladestorm the other night I realized there is a lot of confusion about how to get the last two books and that I would have saved a lot of time trying to finish the game if I'd had more detailed information about how to obtain the Explosives and Engineering books. I've seen a lot of people asking about it and noticed that some of the information in the guide is inaccurate (such as saying you need to max out Horses instead of Spears), so hopefully this will clear it up.

Explosives

You gain the book of Explosives by completing a series of requests for Christine De Pizan, a French scientist/magician/crazy lady. You’ll first see her in the Tavern when she comes and insults everyone, and after a while the missions will appear for you. This can happen as early as 3 star fame or as late as after you’ve completed the storyline. Before she’ll come to the tavern, however, you need to level your books of Bows, Swords, and Horses above 70%.
Her first two requests are fetch missions that have you running all over the map looking for "the just right wood" and "just the right iron." You can make it easier on yourself by hiring some fast recruits (like mounted bowman or swordsman) so you can ride over the map faster and find the wood. After you find the wood just complete the battle as normal. Her third request for "the just right sulfur" will have you protecting her, and again you’ll probably want recruits to fend off the attackers that will come after her. After completing these three she’ll eventually appear in the tavern again, open up a ‘!’ battle, and give you the book after the battle is complete.
Note: People claim you can miss these missions if you don’t take them as soon as they’re available, so be sure to watch for them after Christine appears in the tavern for the first time.

Engineering

You’ll most likely get this book long after you’ve completed the storyline. To get it you’ll need every weapon type, including Explosives, leveled above 70% and Spears, Swords, and Bows at 100% each (some people claim you need Horses at 100% but others say you don’t. Mine was at 100% when I got it). You’ll also need to either command or defeat every unit type in the game and have the silver bow, sword, and spears. That may sound like a lot, but here’s the breakdown of how you get it:
  • First concentrate on leveling all books above 70% and Horses, Bows, and Spears to 100%.I would only really start to worry about this after clearing the story, though you’ll need to do some leveling to get the Explosives book and some will come naturally. As far as quick leveling goes, choose battles where the enemy is close to the same level as whatever you’re going to be commanding (maybe slightly above), try to avoid fighting units that you’re at a disadvantage to (they’ll glow red when you see them in battle) if they’re much higher level, watch for the vases to drop during fights that will fill your Bladestorm meter, and kill enemy named commanders or mercenaries whenever you see them because they’ll give you lots of experience. Also, when allocating your experience points after battle you should max out Research first, as this will help you level faster in the long run. Hire recruits, especially the Elite versions, so you don’t have to waste time running all over the battlefield looking for the unit type you want to command.
  • At some point you’ll see two men arguing about leadership in the Tavern (always check gossip when there’s a ‘!’ there so you don’t miss it). You’ll get two items - notes on which squads you’ve defeated and notes on which ones you’ve led. You won’t be able to look at them, but you’ll need them eventually.
  • Once you’ve got everything leveled to 70% AND you’ve either led every unit type OR defeated every unit type you’ll be approached in the tavern.He’ll ask you for one of the sets of notes you received earlier (above). Give them to him, and he’ll come back after a few contracts with the final page to the Spears book, which you’re going to need to get 100% in it. As far as leading or defeating every unit type goes you’re likely to get it during the course of the game - I wouldn’t worry about trying to keep track. Just take command of all kinds of stuff, including cannons and catapults, and make sure you attack siege equipment when you see it just to be safe.
  • You’ll need to get Swords and Bows leveled to 100% at some point, and once you get the last page for Spears you can (and need to) level them to 100% too. After reaching 100% in the any of those books you’ll be approached in the Tavern by the Silver Bow, the Silver Sword, and the Silver Spear, respectively, and they’ll give you weapons which you can equip and use (they appeared one battle after hitting 100% for me). You’ll need to get all 3 silver weapons.
  • After getting all 3 silver weapons the Avatar of War will visit you in the tavern and give you the Book of Engineering.
That should be all you need to the last two books. To give you an idea of time needed I logged in about 60 hours of playtime to complete the game, though I'm confident you could shave 10-15 hours or so off my time. PM me if you have any questions.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
Viridis

viridisx13's Gamercard
Bota - I have been approached for defeating all enemy units and yet I haven't gotten everything above 70%

This game seems to be far too random
Viridis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
Kez

Kez001's Gamercard
The Data tab will show you which units you've either led or defeated, though it's not possible to lead all types until after you've received the Engineering book (which should be the last 50 points) and I doubt many people are gonna want to continue playing past that point....
Old 07-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
VargusTGF

So is it ok if before the event even starts that some books are above 70% complete? Becasue my camels are really close and I dont want that to mess me up or anthing...
VargusTGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:13 AM   #5
EvilTommy

Send a message via MSN to EvilTommy

EvilTommy44's Gamercard
Thanks alot, it was just the tip i was looking for. So the game doesnt quite end then after the main story is finished? u can still continue playing?
EvilTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
theo

Theo Boots's Gamercard
Thanks for this guide.
I will be picking up this game again now.

Best Regards,

Theo Boots.

theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:03 AM   #7
ashwee1218

ThePinkPandaXD's Gamercard
soo... all my books are at atleast 75%. swords are 100 horses are 85 bows are like 83 and spears are 91 because i can't find the last tome, i've beaten the story mode and still haven't been approached with the explosives book which you need for the last book. i've been at these stats for a while and still nothing. i've been playing as french to get the woman to pop up but after a couple hours idk i'd expect her to be there. any ideas?

edit: ok so she finally showed after like 4 hours. i'm still missing the spear tome though. is there some way at all to see what troops i still need to defeat/ control? i'm pushing 80 hours in the game and i'm getting bored but i want the last achievement. once i get it i'm sure my spears have enough sp to level to 100% considering how long i've been playing. lol

Last edited by ashwee1218; 09-05-2008 at 07:19 PM.
ashwee1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
Mike Langlois

Mike Langlois's Gamercard
Iv got the Silver Bow, Sword and Spear. Does that mean i can get the engineering book now, or does everything have to be above 70% still?

Currently boosting: Gotham City Imposters (PC)
Mike Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:17 AM   #9
ashwee1218

you still have to have everything above 70% from what i understand. where did you encounter enemy chariots? i think it's the last thing i need before i get the last spear tome. i stopped playing because i got bored/frustrated. i have one achievement left
Old 12-03-2008, 07:10 AM   #10
Zenquen

Location: How does one truly define where one lives? I suppose home is where the heart is. I live in my chest.
Send a message via AIM to Zenquen Send a message via MSN to Zenquen

RDJ4EVER's Gamercard
Christine came to see me when I still had 3 stars and no where near 70% in anything, i freaked out and thought it glitched out but I was still eventually able to get the missions later down the road.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
Grummy

Grumftheld's Gamercard
OK, question. The guide on the site says you need to 100% Horses, Swords and Bows and 70 everything else.

But here you say 100% Swords, Spears and Bows.

So which is correct? Also, hows soon after meeting all requriements will the Avatar of war turn up to give you the book?

http://www.360voice.com/tag/Grumftheld

My First Guide!! Way of the Samurai 3
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/g...ai-3-us/guide/
If you have any questions, please pm me on here then send me a message on Live to let me know its here and I'll get to it asap.
Grummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:33 AM   #12
ashwee1218

it's swords, spears, and bows. because you need to get the silver of each from the avatar of war or whatever. i have the achievement so i can confirm its those three and not horses (i leveled horses first and had to go back and level my spears) which was a pain in itself because of the requirements for getting the last spear book
Old 06-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
Grummy

Grumftheld's Gamercard
OK great, thanks.

I've got the last spears book already thankfully, so its just a case of levelling that last 30%. Cheers.

If you have any questions, please pm me on here then send me a message on Live to let me know its here and I'll get to it asap.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
Grummy

Grumftheld's Gamercard
How in the buggerations do you get this to unlock?

All over 70% Horse, Sword, Spear and Bow 100%.

Do I need to play through every single story mission? I've finished teh main story but I still get missions for other stories, do I need to complete all them too?

Never mind. I got it finally, just had to go through a few random battles to get the silver spear to turn up then the Avatar of War afterwards.

Yay. Its only been about 18 months in progress to get this full 1000

Last edited by Grummy; 06-10-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #15
Holdav

From one of my favourite games this has turned into one of my most hated.

After 124 hours on the game i still dont have the book of Engineering,

The Book of Rapiers is at 91% maybe a few higher
The boox of Axes is at 91%
The book of Clubs is at 86%
The Book of Explosives is at 88% (i do not have the last page)

Everything else is at 100%.

I have the silver weapons, I have beaten all types of enemy. The only thing left are the 'special missions at the end of the game.

Can anyone help me? I want to get this last achievement, it has haunted me for too long >_<
Holdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #16
RiskyMage

RiskyMage's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdav View Post
From one of my favourite games this has turned into one of my most hated.

After 124 hours on the game i still dont have the book of Engineering,

The Book of Rapiers is at 91% maybe a few higher
The boox of Axes is at 91%
The book of Clubs is at 86%
The Book of Explosives is at 88% (i do not have the last page)

Everything else is at 100%.

I have the silver weapons, I have beaten all types of enemy. The only thing left are the 'special missions at the end of the game.

Can anyone help me? I want to get this last achievement, it has haunted me for too long >_<
think its haunted you too long? im pushing 298hrs everything is 100%(and lv99) except explosives due to not having the last page, done all special missions, and have every single weapon/armor yet i cant seem to get the last tome for the achievement

Last edited by RiskyMage; 05-27-2011 at 07:01 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
RiskyMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #17
rosiered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grummy View Post
How in the buggerations do you get this to unlock?

All over 70% Horse, Sword, Spear and Bow 100%.

Do I need to play through every single convergence engineering story mission? I've finished teh main story but I still get missions for other stories, do I need to complete all them too?

Never mind. I got it finally, just had to go through a few random mobility engineering battles to get the silver spear to turn up then the Avatar of War afterwards.

Yay. Its only been about 18 months in progress with help desk technician to get this full 1000
No, you dont need to play through every single story mission. There is a way aroun it.
rosiered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #18
o0 jdogj 0o

o0 JdogJ 0o's Gamercard
for some reason the silverspear guy wont talk to me i have 100% on spears and have waited about 10-15 battles he just refuses to come but i have them special battles have just come up could that have something to do with it.
o0 jdogj 0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #19
o0 jdogj 0o

o0 JdogJ 0o's Gamercard
its fine he just came now for 70 on every other book
o0 jdogj 0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:18 AM   #20
lewisito

Lewisito's Gamercard
Getting these two books is a pain in the ass....enough said xD
lewisito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:49 AM   #21
Zumato

Zumato's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Wow! I'm shocked that no one has mentioned the achievement crippling glitch here. If you do the "!Special Battle" before getting the Book of Engineering, the Avatar of War won't appear and you've pretty screwed yourself for that save file. Some people have claimed that beating the main story will prevent the Avatar of War from showing up as well. Just to be safe, you should get the Book of Engineering before beating the game or doing the "!Special Battle". Sadly, I had to start from scratch to get this last achievement.