Question: 2 Red Lights

Ed Boon

So I got 2 red lights this morning... I read the Microsoft page on it and understand that it is exceeding the temp limit in the system. My question is... Is it 100% for sure that the system needs new thermal compound? Pretty much all of the sites I have seen say that's the problem, but I don't want to open it up void the warranty and find out that it was something else causing it which isn't so easy to fix. Also I find it odd that the red lights come up immediately after I turn the system on(fans run for about 3 seconds), even after leaving it turned off for hours. All of the other cases I have read about usually take 1-5 minutes then they come on due to overheating, which is why I'm having second thoughts about it being the thermal compound. Any information would be great. Thanks.

PS. Its in an open space and my place is pretty cold anyways so I'm just saying that to avoid a bunch of " Make sure its in an open space " responses. Thanks again!

Hello one of the creators of the MK Franchise.

This topic has been discussed numerous times, you can use the search function.

Never open up an xbox console (unless you really want to mod it or change it's casing and alter that) because it will void the warrenty. Just send it back to Microsoft, it will crap out on you sooner or later anyhow.

Try looking into the back of the 360 and the 360's power block and see if there is any dust. This has happened to me a few times, and it's because dust got into the fan and just started building up over time, same with the power block.

Get something small and try picking out all of the dust, your 360 should be fine once you do.

Hello one of the creators of the MK Franchise.

This topic has been discussed numerous times, you can use the search function.

Never open up an xbox console (unless you really want to mod it or change it's casing and alter that) because it will void the warrenty. Just send it back to Microsoft, it will crap out on you sooner or later anyhow.

All of the search results gave me 3 red lights, didn't know if there were many differences. Sending it in takes too long, this is my 4th box, first elite because I thought it was better constructed. Guess not. Kids just got rock band 2 and they are nagging me to fix it.

@ the other post, looking in the back side it looks like there is no dust at all on the fans, what did u use? Although I don't think this is the problem. Maybe I will just take a tester's 360 at work. Shhh.

All of the search results gave me 3 red lights, didn't know if there were many differences. Sending it in takes too long, this is my 4th box, first elite because I thought it was better constructed. Guess not. Kids just got rock band 2 and they are nagging me to fix it.

@ the other post, looking in the back side it looks like there is no dust at all on the fans, what did u use? Although I don't think this is the problem. Maybe I will just take a tester's 360 at work. Shhh.

Try blowing into your 360, see if any dust comes out. If some does, just do your best to get as much out as you can. Anything that can get in there, like a pen or a plastic fork.