Might sound easy enough, but it’s all about getting the right stuff and being in the right place. I’ll break down all three, and some are obviously easier than others:
- Chop wood – Simple, go to Riverwood and on the left, by the river will be a wood cutting machine. Click the prompt on the wood stacked by the machine to load it in, and then go over the other side of the log and pull the lever. Simple. If that fails, which it has for some people, try using a chopping block and an axe - again found in Riverwood and all over Skyrim.
- Mine ore – For this one, for starters, you need a pick-axe, so whenever you see one lying around, pick it up… or buy one. Then you need to find something to ore and actually finding somewhere is easier said than done. I’ve compiled a few locations for you to get you started (this isn’t all of them, just a selection that I encountered in my travels):
- Movarth’s Lair – northeast of Morthal (have to go here for ‘Laid to Rest’ quest)
- Shor’s Stone, inside Redbelly Mine – Some great ebony ore here to mine. Shor’s Stone (a small mining village) is in the non snowy mountain range in between Windhelm and Riften, on the right hand side
- Darkwater Crossing, inside Goldenrock Mine – at the south of Wildhelm in the far south of the swampland, where the river ends on the far left, you’ll find this small fishing village
Note: icons with two crossed pick-axes on the map signifies the location of a mine that will have materials to mine and even might house a pick-axe.
- Cook – You just need any cooking pot, a recipe (which are in the game in the “cook” menu when you click on the pot) and a load of ingredients. Ingredients can be found all over and for the pot, we used the Breezehome pot (the house that you can buy in Whiterun after you become Thane) with the following recipes being the easiest because the ingredients can be found in most barrels and in a lot of shops:
- Apple Cabbage Stew – requires cabbage, red apple and salt pie
- Cabbage Potato Soup – requires cabbage, leak, salt pie and potato
- Salmon Steak – requires salmon meat and salt pie
- Vegetable Soup – requires tomato, leek, potato, cabbage
- Venison Chop – requires 1 venison and 1 salt pie
- Venison Stew – requires leek, potato, 2 salt pies and venison