Story related, and cannot be missed. The Kayran is the first main boss in the game, and it really isn’t too difficult if you know what to do. You can use the trap you crafted for the ”Artful Dodger” achievement, but it isn’t necessary if you already have the achievement or don’t care about it. Here’s how to beat him without using the trap on Dark:
- Immediately cast Quen whenever you’re hit and right when the fights starts.
- Cast Yrden to put down a magic trap (do this a decent distance away, but not at the edge of the map) and stand on it.
- When you see the monster raise its tentacle, dodge out of the way (left or right on the analog stick + ) and attack the orange spot that sticks out clearly.
- Rinse and repeat for all of the tentacles that have weak spots.
- Follow the QTE button prompts when they’re shown ( to mount, mash to attack, and press to dismount).
- Take cover behind the piece of debris and wait for an opening right after the boulder lands.
- Run up the structure on the left to the top, dodging the tentacles along the way and watch the cutscene, follow any QTE prompt if you see any).
The achievement will unlock after its defeat.