If you are about to lose a duel in the tournament you can quit to the main menu and continue; this will start over the duel with the person you are about to lose to. This can become an effective means of studying an opponent's deck if you are losing and it doesn't effect your place in the tournament.
You must duel 3 opponents and you are scored based on how well you duel. This is going to take some trial and error and abuse of the exit and reload strategy. Easiest way to make sure you advance is to win all 3 duels. Win the first one and if you are about to lose in round 2 quit out and try again. You get to keep your round 1 win but get another shot at the person in round 2. Once you win round 2 move to round 3, keep quitting if you are about to lose so you don't have to start over.
Scoring is used in the event of a tie in the number of wins so if you have 2 wins and the AI has 2 wins whoever has more points will advance. Having 350 points heading into round 3 is a good benchmark.
- Winning + 100
- Win match + 50
- Perfect +10
- Lifepoints difference (no exact formula)
- Number of turns +2 per
- Number of times using spells +2 per
- Number of times using traps +2 per
- Synchro summons +4 per
- Tribute summons +4 per
- Maximum ATK +1 for every 500 atk points
- Maxmimum damage reflected +1 for every 100 reflected
- Cards you forced opp. to discard + 2 per
- Fill up moster zone +10
- Fill up magic zone +10
- Win w/ less than 5 cards in deck left +20
- Comeback +10
- Win on opp's turn +10
- Deck your opp. +20
- Win w/ no cards in your deck +100
- Getting an opponents life points to exactly 0 +20
- Fusion summons +4 per
- Unused special summons +5 per
- Win with no more than 1000 life points left +20
- Win by inflicting battle damage only +10
- Maximum damage inflicted (not to be confused with reflected) (No exact formula)
- Unused traps +5 per
- Unused spells +5 per
- Win in the first 3 turns +10
This is a bracket style tournament, with Jack or Yusei as your opponent in the finals.
Using the exit and reload option you can edit your deck for you next opponent if you are finding your current deck isn't good enough.