DmC Tops Japanese Charts, Sells Less Than Half as Much as Devil May Cry 4
Written Thursday, January 24, 2013 By Lee BradleyView author's profile
DmC: Devil May Cry has topped the Japanese software charts this week, but it’s not all good news for the Ninja Theory reboot.
Despite hitting the top spot, DmC sold less than half of what its predecessor, Devil May Cry 4, did upon on launch week in Japan five years ago.
According to Media Create, the Ninja Theory reboot sold 110,429 copies on PS3 and less than 5,500 copies on Xbox 360. That’s compared to Devil May Cry 4, which sold 205,390 on PS3 and 40,023 on Xbox 360 in its debut week in 2008.
Media Create’s figures differ from those provided by Famitsu. Sales figures reported by the Japanese magazine (via NeoGAF) state that DmC sold 115,438 copies on PS3 and 5857 copies on Xbox 360.
As for hardware, the Xbox 360 continued to struggle in Japan, selling just 706 units last week. Comparatively, the PS3 sold 19,697 units.
Full Media Create sales chart for the week of 14th - 20th January:
(Lifetime sales in brackets)
- DmC Devil May Cry (Capcom, PS3): 110,429 (New)
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo, 3DS): 97,448 (2,283,756)
- Digimon Adventure (Namco Bandai, PSP): 47,807 (New)
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo, 3DS): 17,803 (1,873,642)
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) (Capcom, 3DS): 13,728 (184,139)
- Inazuma Eleven Go 2: Chrono Stone Reimei / Neppuu (Level-5, 3DS): 12,019 (391,389)
- Run For Money: Flee From the Strongest Hunters in History (Namco Bandai, 3DS): 11,684 (399,382)
- Paper Mario: Sticker Star (Nintendo, 3DS): 11,055 (495,922)
- New Super Mario Bros. U (Nintendo, WiiU): 9,598 (441,708)
- Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 (Tecmo Koei, PS3): 9,365 (216,811)
- Nintendo Land (Nintendo, Wii U): 8,740 (270,917)
- Taiko Drum Master: Chibi Dragon and the Mysterious Orb (Namco Bandai, 3DS): 8,408 (393,485)
- One Piece: Romance Dawn (Namco Bandai, PSP): 8,068 (281,853)
- Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo, 3DS): 7,547 (1,954,951)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II Stand-In Edition (Square Enix, PS3): 7,379 (106,853)
- Yakuza 5 (Sega, PS3): 6,045 (133,846)
- Tongari Boushi to Mahou no Machi (Konami, 3DS): 6,045 (133,846)
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (Pokemon, 3DS): 5,873 (421,881)
- Taiko Drum Master Wii Super Wonderful Edition (Namco Bandai, Wii): 5,844 (360,313)
- Pokemon Black & White 2 (Pokemon, NDS): 5,724 (29,948,796)
Hardware-wise there weren't many surprises. Most sales are down this week due to few major releases or post-holiday sales, though curiously the Wii is the only console to have improved sales since last week, albeit by only a paltry 326 units.
The full hardware sales are below (last week's sales in parenthesis):
- 3DS LL: 51,015 (56,377)
- 3DS: 30,840 (36,284)
- PlayStation 3: 19,697 (22,991)
- Wii U: 16,654 (20,715)
- PSP: 15,343 (17,069)
- PlayStation Vita: 9,036 (11,088)
- Wii: 2,199 (1,873)
- Xbox 360: 706 (921)