NPD: Xbox 360 and BioShock Infinite Dominate at Retail
Written Friday, April 19, 2013 By Lee BradleyView author's profile
Data analyst firm NPD has released this month’s US software and hardware sales, and it’s good news for BioShock Infinite.
The Irrational Games shooter-in-the-sky was the highest selling retail game in the month of March, notching up 878,000 copies on consoles, according to Cowen & Company analyst Doug Creutz.
Both BioShock and the number two game Tomb Raider enjoyed the biggest launch month of any game in their respective series.
However, across the market sales fell by 10 per cent year-on-year. In March 2012 the total figure was $1.1 billion, while in March 2013 that number fell to $992.5 million.
Hardware sales also fell as the console generation trundles to an end, dropping 32 per cent from $324.7 million to $221.6 million. Despite this, according to Microsoft’s Major Nelson the Xbox 360 still did pretty well, shifting 261,000 units in the US.
It ensures that Microsoft’s console enjoys its 27th straight month as the best selling console in the region.
Full top 10 physical sales chart for March 2013 below.
- Bioshock Infinite (360, PS3, PC)
- Tomb Raider (360, PS3)
- Gears of War: Judgment (360)
- God of War: Ascension (PS3)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (360, PS3, PC, Wii U)
- Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
- MLB 13: The Show (PS3, PSV)
- NBA 2k13 (360, PS3, WII, Wii U, PSP, PC)
- The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct (360, PS3, Wii U)
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 (360, PS3)