Defiance DLC Outlined: "We'll be a Party in Your Mouth Before You Know it," Says Exec Producer
Written Tuesday, May 14, 2013 By Lee BradleyView author's profile
Trion Worlds has revealed details of its downloadable content plans for Defiance.
The open-world, multiplayer shooter will receive a total of five DLC packs over the next year, consisting of both paid and free content, as well as store updates and new achievements.
Writing on the game’s official community site, Defiance executive producer Nathan Richardsson said, "The free part is for everyone. We want people to be playing with their friends; we don't like to isolate players.
"That doesn't mean there won't be exclusive content in the DLCs, quite the contrary. The difference is that you can usually bring your friends with you. The catch is that they can't directly benefit from all of it, like DLC specific loot or gain abilities."
Richardsson’s post is littered with half-apologies for the buggy state of the game, something he promises to address with upcoming updates.
“What’s stated by players and critics alike, whether they love or hate us,” he said, “is that we’re taking known concepts and doing something new, we’re fun, and we have potential.
“That’s not an excuse for not being perfect, but I’m certainly not going to complain about trying something new, fun and having potential.”
“We’ve been likened to a good B-movie, being about as deep as a bag of chips but great fun. As having issues, but always dragging you right back in for more…” continued Richardsson.
“I have no problems with these, because we knew Defiance would be polarizing. We aren’t part of any mold, but we can always do better.
“Personally, I’d like to get to the two-bag of chip depth category or at least, add some salsas for various textures. We’ll be a party in your mouth before you know it. Your favorite B-movie.”
To this end Richardsson pointed to the update coming later this month, which hopes to offer a load of fixes and improvements while introducing elements that cross over with Defiance’s tie-in SyFy TV show - “one of which will utilize a new open world game mode called Sieges.”
"Details are obviously slim,” said Richardsson, “but it’s a crossover event so that should give you an indication of what this game mode entails in future DLCs.”
You can find the full list of Defiance’s “tentative” first DLC pack plans below.
You get this when you buy the DLC for $10:
- Access to play the Castithan Species
- Access to a new Story Mission Line with new Battle Arena Game Mode
- Access to the new Castithan Battle Arenas
- Castithan Charge Blade & Ceremonial Mask as a reward from Story Mission Line
- A unique version of the Raptor, a new 4 player truck of doom
- A unique Castithan version of an outfit
- A Charge Weapons Starter Pack
- Access to New Pursuits
- New Xbox and PS3 Trophies and Achievements
You get this in the DLC for free:
- Access to the new Charge Weapons Class and Castithan Blades
- Access to Sieges, a new Open World Game Mode
- Access to the new Monolith Major Arkfall
- Access to a new PvP Map - Military Academy
- Join a friend into the Battle Arenas Game Mode
- Duel your friends and neighbors in the Duels Game Mode
- Enemies, lockboxes, and events can drop Charge Weapons
- Select a new voice for you character
- Multitude of game improvements from UI to content
You can buy these individually from the store:
- New Mods that tint the color of your Castithan Blade
- Lockboxes have a chance to get Charge Weapons
- More versions of the Raptor, the new 4 player truck of doomed compensation
- Character Customization changes: Appearance change, name change, or everything change