Some of EA's Online Pass Downloads Are Now Free on XBL
Written Thursday, May 30, 2013 By Richard WalkerView author's profile
Having scrapped its Online Pass initiative earlier this month, EA has now made the accompanying Online Passes for the likes of Mass Effect 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Dragon Age II and Shift 2: Unleashed all free from today on the Xbox Live Marketplace.
So far, there's ten titles that have had their Online Passes nixed and made free, so anyone who's bought the listed games (spied on NeoGAF) pre-owned, can now play with their online content and multiplayer modes, previously locked with the absence of a pass.
This includes Mass Effect 2's Cerberus Network that added additional squad member Zaeed among other things, Dragon Age II: Signature Edition's Black Emporium and others that added extra content to the game. Here's the list of the free EA Online Passes available thus far:
- Alice: Madness Returns - American McGee's Alice (was 800 MSP)
- Bad Company 2 VIP (was 800 MSP)
- Bulletstorm Online Pass (was 800 MSP)
- Dragon Age: Origins - The Stone Prisoner (was 1200 MSP)
- Dragon Age II: The Black Emporium (was 800 MSP)
- Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Online Pass (was 800 MSP)
- Mass Effect 2: Cerberus Network (was 1200 MSP)
- Medal of Honor Online Pass (was 800 MSP)
- Shift 2: Unleashed Online Pass (was 800 MSP)
- Skate 3: Skate Share Pack (was 800 MSP)
More recent titles like Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 and Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel still have paid Online Passes, but it looks as though EA is making its back catalogue of Online Pass titles free, and could continue to do so with other titles, though nothing has yet been confirmed on that front.