GTA V Breaks Six New Guinness World Records
Written Tuesday, October 08, 2013 By Lee BradleyView author's profile
Grand Theft Auto V has broken six new Guinness World Records, it has been confirmed.
Most of these relate to sales, as GTA V became the biggest-selling and highest grossing video game in history during its first 24 hours in stores, as well as the fastest entertainment product to gross $1 billion, smashing previous records held by the Call of Duty series and movies including The Avengers and Avatar
The cherry on the top of all this comes in the form of a further record for the most-viewed action-adventure game trailer of all time, as well as the most annoying launch in memory, which I've just invented.
Guinness World Records Editor-in-Chief, Craig Glenday said, "GTA totally deserves to be recognized as an icon of modern British culture, and we're thrilled to be able to feature the game in the record books. Gaming is no longer a niche hobby, as GTA 5 has proved, and how exciting that it's taken on the might of Hollywood and won! I'm also doubly proud as a Dundonian to welcome this home-grown series back into the Guinness World Records book.”
Here’s the full list of Grand Theft Auto V’s new records:
- Best-selling action-adventure video game in 24 hours
- Best-selling video game in 24 hours
- Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
- Fastest video game to gross $1 billion
- Highest grossing video game in 24 hours
- Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
- Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure video game