Konami Asks That Skullgirls Be Removed From the Xbox Live Arcade
Written Monday, December 09, 2013 By Richard WalkerView author's profile
Konami has demanded that developer Reverge Labs remove its 2D fighter Skullgirls from the Xbox Live Arcade, according to Design Director Mike Zaimont.
"We were associated with Konami. We soon will not be associated with Konami but they have managed to do something," said Zaimont during a Twitch live stream. "Here's the deal: Konami has requested - well, it's not a request, they said 'do the thing' - that Skullgirls be delisted from PSN on December 17... As far as Xbox goes, they have also requested that it be pulled from Xbox on the 31st.
"I don't want to cast any aspersions, but Konami submitted their request for that, didn't tell us and we found out from Sony after the request was approved," Zaimont added. "It doesn't make any sense for them to have submitted that request because they make money of every copy that is sold with their logo on it."
Co-publisher Autumn Games has strived to extend the deadline with Konami to no avail, proving especially annoying for Zaimont and Autumn who had been working on introducing new balance tweaks and character DLC to Skullgirls.
"I have been preparing basically a new game. It's still Skullgirls but it's published by Autumn," said Zaimont. "We are going to get this build together and we need to wait for some numbers arrive so that it's not Konami's numbers anymore, and then we give them this build.
"If it gets through QA, then it will come out with Squigly and all the beta changes pretty soon. If not then it won't until after everyone comes back from Winter Break."
If you've already downloaded Skullgirls, you'll still be able to access and play it, but Zaimont is unsure as to whether players will still be able to do battle online. It's hoped that Autumn Games can work out a replacement publishing slot for Skullgirls to ensure the game lives on.