Xbox One and Xbox 360 Get New Sports, Movie and MLG Apps
Written Tuesday, March 25, 2014 By Richard WalkerView author's profile
Microsoft is rolling out an array of new apps for both Xbox 360 and Xbox One for movie and sports enthusiasts alike this week. There's even something for the "hardcore gamer" in the shape of the Major League Gaming app, which enables you to watch the latest gaming tournaments from your the comfort of your couch. That one launched on Xbox 360 yesterday in Australia, Canada, the UK and US.
Baseball fans can also get their fix on Xbox One as MLB.TV makes its debut ahead of Opening Day, whereas if it's movies you're after, you're somewhat spoilt for choice. Encore Play and Movieplex Play will be coming to Xbox 360 for Xbox Live Gold subs in the US.
Here's a complete rundown of the apps coming soon to Xbox 360 and Xbox One:
- Major League Gaming comes to Xbox 360 - As you may have seen yesterday, the Major League Gaming (MLG) app launched on Xbox 360. With the MLG app, Xbox Live Gold members in Australia, Canada, the U.K. and the U.S. can watch all of MLG.tv’s programming including the best gamers competing in MLG’s premier competitions from the comfort of their living room. Now, gamers and enthusiasts can watch live broadcasts of gaming tournaments and professionally produced gaming content through a console app created for the big screen.
And don’t forget to also check out the following original programming from MLG:
- eSport Report. Stay on top of the latest news in competitive gaming.
- “Call of Duty: Ghosts” Pro League. Check out the top 10 MLG Pro Circuit “Call of Duty” teams and learn new gaming moves through watching the teams participate in 180 matches.
- MLG Championship live from Anaheim, CA. See thousands of the best gamers competing playing “Call of Duty: Ghosts,” “StarCraft II” and more via live broadcast on June 20-22.
- MLB.TV makes its way to Xbox One - Just in time for Opening Day, fans will be able to watch Major League Baseball games on Xbox One. With an Xbox Live Gold subscription, MLB.TV Premium subscribers will enjoy live, HD-quality video of every out-of-market regular season game in 2014. Miss the game live? Full game archives for every game will be available as well. Don't have MLB.TV Premium? Visit MLB.com/Xbox for complete details.
- Movies and TV from ENCORE PLAY and MOVIEPLEX PLAY on Xbox 360 - If watching hit movies or TV is your thing, you'll have more choices than ever starting today on Xbox 360 as we add ENCORE PLAY and MOVIEPLEX PLAY from Starz to our extensive list of entertainment apps. The apps include a catalog of more than 1,500 premium movies ("Oz The Great and Powerful," "Zero Dark Thirty," "Independence Day", "Rush Hour", "Stripes," "Back to the Future") and additional TV episodes of your favorite shows ("Murphy Brown," "Magnum P.I.," "Night Court," "Diff'rent Strokes"). Both apps are free with subscription through a participating television provider. Not a subscriber? Install the app and browse hundreds of great movies. If you like what you see, simply subscribe to MOVIEPLEX or ENCORE through a participating television provider and sign in. We're excited to launch both of these great entertainment apps available on Xbox Live for Gold members in the United States and can't wait to bring them to Xbox One in the future. Stay tuned for more details!
- EPIX preps Xbox One app, adds TWC authentication - Good news from our friends over at EPIX. We’re pleased to announce that Xbox 360 users who are also Time Warner Cable Digital Basic and Preferred TV subscribers will now be able to access all of the great content in the EPIX app for no additional cost through June 18th.** Simply sign-in with your Time Warner Cable credentials and you’ll be instantly authenticated, giving you access to the extensive library of movies, music and entertainment that EPIX has to offer. What’s more, EPIX is hard at work developing an app for Xbox One – more details to come later! For more information about the partnership between TWC and EPIX, visit twc.com/EPIX.
[Via Xbox News Wire]