Defiance - MMO Shooter Going Free-to-Play
Written Thursday, May 01, 2014 By Lee BradleyView author's profile
The Trion Worlds MMO shooter Defiance is going free-to-play, following its launch as a premium game in April of 2013. The switch is currently being targetted for July 15th on PlayStation 3, while on Xbox 360 it's expected to make the jump "at a later date."
New players joining the game following the free-to-play transition will be able to access a huge chunk of content, as well as upcoming missions which will crossover with the Syfy TV show of the same name.
"Experience the entire Bay Area storyline, original end-game content and future missions completely for free," says Trion. "So fuel up your roller, load your weapons, and get ready: brand new missions are on the way that will further unfold the unique storyline, coupled with the second season of Defiance, the television series from Syfy."
The first of Defiance's new crossover storylines is expected to arrive "in the coming weeks."
Beyond this, Trion also says that existing players "are set up to get a ton of incredible items and boosts when the game transitions." Here's the breakdown of exactly what those bonuses are.
Players who purchase a new box or digital copy of Defiance are granted the following bonuses:
- A grant of 1,000 Arkforge, a currency redeemable for resetting weapon mastery, upgrading your weapon's power rating, or even bumping an uncommon weapon to epic rarity.
- 4 Character Slots, 5 Loadouts, up to 75 Ark Keycodes, and a minimum 70 Inventory Slots.
- They will also enjoy thirty days of Paradise Patron status when Defiance begins its free-to-play service.
Paradise Patrons are granted:
- Boosts to skill, XP, scrip, salvage, and reputation gain rates that stack with the matching boosts available in the store.
- 10% store-wide discount – boosts, costumes, lock boxes, all of it!
- A grab bag of one-hour boosts or Arkforge from Daily and Weekly Ark Hunter Bonus Lock Boxes. (Playing on console? Be sure to link your account to get this bonus!)