EA Shutting Down a Bunch of Old Servers From Next Month
Written Wednesday, July 13, 2011 By Richard WalkerView author's profile
EA has announced that it's poised to pull the plug on a whole raft of its declining online services for old games starting next month, with servers for ageing games like Army of Two and Battlefield 2: Modern Combat being retired to the big digital graveyard in the sky. Or something like that.
"The decisions to retire older EA games are never easy," reads the announcement on EA's Service Updates page. "The development teams and operational staff pour their hearts into these games almost as much as the customers playing them and it is hard to see one retired. But as games get replaced with newer titles, the number of players still enjoying the older games dwindles below a point -- fewer than 1% of all peak online players across all EA titles -- where it’s no longer feasible to continue the behind-the-scenes work involved with keeping these games up and running."
We would rather our hard-working engineering and IT staff focus on keeping a positive experience for the other 99% of customers playing our more popular games. We hope you have gotten many hours of enjoyment out of the games and we appreciate your ongoing patronage."
There'll be two sets of service shutdowns, with the first occurring in August and the second happening in October. There's seventeen in total, but here are the ones that are relevant to Xbox 360 gamers:
August 11, 2011 Online Service Shutdown
- ARMY OF TWO™ for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- ARMY OF TWO™ Demo for Xbox 360
- Battlefield 2: Modern Combat™ for Xbox 360
- Battlefield 2: Modern Combat™ Demo for Xbox 360
- NASCAR® 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 (North America)
- NCAA® Basketball 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- NCAA® Football 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- Need for Speed™ Most Wanted for PC and Xbox 360
- SKATE™ for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 10 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
- Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 11 Demo for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
October 1, 2011 Online Service Shutdown
- Madden NFL 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- NHL® 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
So, there you have it. If you're missing any online achievements for these games, you might want to get on the case sharpish. They won't be around for much longer! If you have any further questions regarding the shutdown of the services listed, you can direct them to EA at http://support.ea.com