Character Import: What Carries Over and What Achievements Unlock

I figured we could all report our findings for what we got when bringing over a character to have a definitive list of what can be unlocked with zero to minimal effort and figure out exactly what we need to do a second time in full.

I am sorry to report that the what most people will be hoping for did not come to pass: none of the Underdome DLC achievements will unlock from previous progress. You must do them all again.

How to Transfer Characters:

• Step 1: Launch the original Borderlands Xbox 360 version and on the main menu you will see an "Export Character" option. Select this, choose a save file, and upload it. You can only have one uploaded at a time, so proceed to the next step after choosing one. This is best done via Backward Compatibility - many people report this would not work on their actual Xbox 360 console.
  • Step 2: Launch the Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition on Xbox One. At the main menu, you will see an "Import Character" option. The game will recognize the file you uploaded in Step 1 and allow you to save it as a new file locally.
  • Step 3: Repeat steps 1-2 for any other characters you wish to bring over to the remaster.

Achievements That Auto-Unlock

Five achievements will auto-unlock if you have completed them on the Xbox 360 version, as soon as you start a game (so not at the main menu). They are all from the Claptrap's New Robot Revolution DLC, and are some of the more annoying achievements in the game which is nice.

• Tourist - Find all 6 Claptrap statues
  • The Lubricator - Find 25 oil cans
  • Bobble-trap - Collect 15 Claptrap bobbleheads
  • It's so realistic! - Collect 5 3D glasses
  • What a party! - Collect 3 panties, 5 fish in a bag, and 15 pizzas

Achievements That Will Unlock After Fast Traveling Once

The entirety of The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned will unlock after you fast travel once if you had unlocked them on Xbox 360. For me, this did not work on Playthrough 2 (where I had actually done all the quests) but rather unlocked after fast traveling on Playthrough 1 (where I had not done the quests). Not sure why or if that matters, but worth noting.

• House of the Ned - Complete the "House of the Ned" mission
  • Jakobs Fodder - Complete the "Jakobs Fodder" mission
  • Braaaaaaaaaaaaains! - Complete the "Braaaaaaaaaaaaains!" mission
  • Night of the Living Ned - Kill Ned...sort of
  • Ned's Undead, Baby, Ned's Undead - Kill Ned. Again.

Achievements That Will Unlock After Doing One More Action

Most of the achievements that require you to do X number of things will unlock after doing one more action that the achievement requires, again so long as you did this on the same character on Xbox 360. Simply kill one more enemy in the specific way or whatever the achievement tasks you with and it will unlock.

For the money achievement, you may still need to be over a million (I was, so I can't confirm it will work if you pick up money being under a million but had the achievement before). For the class mod achievement, simply un-equip and re-equip your mod.

• Pandora-dog Millionaire - Earn $1,000,000
  • Fence - Sell 50 guns to a shop
  • Facemelter - Kill 25 enemies with corrosive weapons
  • 1.21 Gigawatts - Kill 25 enemies with shock weapons
  • Pyro - Kill 25 enemies with incendiary weapons
  • Master Exploder - Kill 25 enemies with explosive weapons
  • There are some who call me...Tim - Equip a class mod for your character
  • 12 Days of Pandora - Master the technology of Pandora
  • Get A Little Blood on the Tires - Kill 25 enemies by ramming them with any vehicle
  • There's No "I" In "Team" - Complete 15 missions in co-op
  • Careful, He Bites - Kill 15 enemies with the Hunter's action skill
  • Reckless Abandon - Kill 15 enemies with the Berserker's action skill
  • Down in Front! - Kill 15 enemies with the Soldier's action skill
  • Sneaky Little Buggers - Kill each of the loot midgets
  • Ding! Overleveled - Reach Level 51
  • Ding! Overleveled to 11 - Reach Level 61
  • Fully Loaded - Rescue enough Claptraps to earn 42 inventory slots

Achievement That Will Unlock After Completing Any Quest

This achievement from the General Knoxx DLC should unlock after completing any quest in the game, again assuming you have unlocked it on Xbox 360 and have the character you did it on available. I personally completed the quest to purchase a shield right at the beginning of Playthrough 2 and it unlocked, which was the same playthrough I completed the quests (so the opposite of the Zombie Island situation above).

• Completionist - Complete all missions in Secret Armory

---------------------------------------

Confirmed to Not Work on Existing Characters

These achievements will not unlock for an existing character who has already done this action, even if you try to repeat it (re-equipping the artifact) or do one more of it (gain another level). You'll need to start a new character to get these.

• You call this archaeology? - Apply an elemental artifact
  • Ding! Newbie - Earn level 5
  • Ding! Novice - Earn level 10
  • Ding! Expert - Earn level 20
  • Ding! Hardcore - Earn level 30
  • Ding! Sleepless - Earn level 40
  • Ding! Champion - Earn level 50
  • Weapon Aficionado - Reach proficiency level 10 with any weapon type

Need to Do On a New Character if You Are Maxed Out

This achievement is in the "one more action" section above, but also fits here if you've maxed yourself out. If you're at 42 inventory slots, there are DLC upgrades you can get to pop the achievement, but if you've already unlocked all those, you need a new character for this.

• Fully Loaded - Rescue enough Claptraps to earn 42 inventory slots

Edited by The Pants Party

Guest Scotty

With the leveling you may just need to get 1 more level for the game to register that you met the requirements, thats how it worked on BL2 and Pre-Sequel Remasters.

Guest Scotty

OK, i imported 4 characters, a level 34, 2 level 61's and a level 69 and as i loaded it up for the first time, the 5 Claptrap collectible achievements from that DLC unlocked, then 2 main mission achievements from Zombie Neds DLC unlocked and i haven't even moved my character yet. I'm gonna experiment some more tomorrow and see what i can force unlock.

I updated the original post with my experience so far. I only played for like 10 minutes and unlocked 18 achievements. :D

I have a bunch more cumulative achievements to test, and we really need to solve the leveling achievements. I am Level 66 right now so it would take a while for me to ding again to see what happens.

Can’t get fully loaded (inventory at 48/48) or you call this archaeology (elemental artifact) to pop. Got 24 achievements pretty quickly after start up, except dr Ned (gotta find the character I did those with.)

For some reason my xb1 keeps crashing every time I try to import my Brick or Roland save :(

Edited by MulticronX

I just popped all the Dr Ned achievements, and my Xbox app says 570/1750, but the 49 point Ned achievement didn’t add to my gamer score (and worse, since the 1 point one did, my gamer score is now “odd”!!!!) Does anyone know how to fix this? I popped the Italian plumber achievement, which added to my gamer score, but I’m still missing the 49 points! :(

Do I just have to leave my Xbox on or what? I don’t even want to turn on my 360 now....

No reason to do anything special and no reason to avoid doing anything either. It will just fix itself. Microsoft's servers report stuff wrong sometimes, but it always corrects itself.

Guest Scotty

The 2 kill Ned achievements and the brains one didn't unlock for me, but luckily one of my saves had the first fight against him ready to complete so i did it then, however as i did the first Ned kill, the achievement for it, and the one for completing all of the missions in General Knoxx DLC unlock, for some bizarre reason.

All going good, was able to get most of those achievements to auto unlock.

I also have the problem of Brick or Roland save causing the game to freeze as soon as you go to import. I had no problems with the first two saves.

I also imported siren, Hunter, both of which worked. Nothing after that worked. Not sure if it’s just the two classes that are broken or anything after two uploaded characters is broken.

I added a bunch of new info to the first post based on my experience last night. I started working on the DLCs and am very close to leveling up. From what I can tell, if you had a 61+ character you'll only get the 51/61 achievements though. I should be able to personally verify that tonight.

So at minimum, you'll want to do a new character to run through the story and all side-quests and get to Level 50 with. This will also get you the artifact achievement which doesn't seem to work on an existing character even when you un-equip and re-equip it. And you may need to get all the backpack upgrades again, though I will try to find a DLC upgrade tonight and see if that works for someone already at 42 slots.

Got fully loaded with a character who had 45 slots, popped when I got the one in the clap trap DLC

EDIT: Got Sneaky little buggers by getting one midget. One in deep fathoms, they seemed to have moved the chest so if following the old video guides for location, I got it in the chest opposite the 'midget haters suck' sign

Edited by calex deus

I think the list should be complete now. I have tried to include every scenario possible.

At worst, someone with 1750G in the original game and all their characters available will still need to start a new character to do all the main story missions, two DLC stories (Claptrap and Knoxx), Underdome arenas, and get to Level 50. Not too bad, especially if you have modded weapons/shields available.

Guest Scotty

Weapon Aficionado won't unlock for me. Ive gotten SMG from 32-33 and then Shotgun from 16-17 and it hasn't unlocked.

Guest Scotty
Hm, maybe that belongs solely in the new character one then. I was going off reported findings there, didn't do it personally.

I've since got assault rifle up from 26-27 and it still didn't unlock so it seems it won't unless you have a new character or get one of them to 10 that are currently below 10 on an existing character perhaps.

All going good, was able to get most of those achievements to auto unlock.

I also have the problem of Brick or Roland save causing the game to freeze as soon as you go to import. I had no problems with the first two saves.

My Siren and Berserker imported fine, while trying to import my Hunter and Soldier crashed the game. Tried deleting and copying the saves from my 360 and still wouldn’t work.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well...I imported my 360 character to my XB1. I wish I could have played the game with that character where my original character left off. Instead, I have a level 69 with a few missions left. Not really what I had hoped for. I also wish I could get the two together, so my XB1 character could get better guns and shields.

And no achievements popped up.