What are some good ways for lowering karma?

Camreeno

So I'm trying to get the achievements for getting to the different levels at the three different karma stages, and I'm having a hard time trying to get the karma down far enough before I level up. The problem is I guess I placed the saves a little too close to the levels (8, 14, and 20) to the point where I gain too much experience from doing karma-lowering things, and I therefore don't get my karma from good all the way to bad before leveling up... (making sense?)

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are some things that can significantly lower karma while raising experience at a minimum. I killed the guy who wanted you to blow up Megaton and I think that took away 1000 karma as a starter.

You would have gained Karma for Killing the guy who wants to blow up Megaton. Its not a very nice thing to do (and if you delve further into the story because it is an eye sore).

Best way is to pick a container where the aiming turns red and steal the top thing in there. Close the container, and then put it back. Do that until you have low karma.

You don't get XP for stealing.

Killing spree in Rivet City?

Oh wait.. that might raise your XP too much. And piss a lot of folks off. :p

I reckon MachineZed's got the idea, that way you can continually steal stuff without mucking with your XP level at all. Just don't let anyone catch you doing it. ;)

Edited by Violet Grim

You would have gained Karma for Killing the guy who wants to blow up Megaton. Its not a very nice thing to do (and if you delve further into the story because it is an eye sore).

Best way is to pick a container where the aiming turns red and steal the top thing in there. Close the container, and then put it back. Do that until you have low karma.

You don't get XP for stealing.

Whoops, I meant killing that guy GAINS 1000 karma, nevermind. Any idea how many karma points that deals you do that lockpicking suggestion?

Killing spree in Rivet City?

Oh wait.. that might raise your XP too much. And piss a lot of folks off. :p

I reckon MachineZed's got the idea, that way you can continually steal stuff without mucking with your XP level at all. Just don't let anyone catch you doing it. ;)

Well if you get cought then would it make any difference with XP and karma?

So I'm trying to get the achievements for getting to the different levels at the three different karma stages, and I'm having a hard time trying to get the karma down far enough before I level up. The problem is I guess I placed the saves a little too close to the levels (8, 14, and 20) to the point where I gain too much experience from doing karma-lowering things, and I therefore don't get my karma from good all the way to bad before leveling up... (making sense?)

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are some things that can significantly lower karma while raising experience at a minimum. I killed the guy who wanted you to blow up Megaton and I think that took away 1000 karma as a starter.

The best way I found was to go to Dukov's place and start stealing the dozens and dozens of items there (empty bottles, plates, cups--everything you see in red counts to lower your karma.) Just wait for them to leave a room (high sneak or stealthboys are a plus) and go to town.

Keep an eye on your pip boy so you don't go too far when you get to neutral. Save before and after start so you can continue on to evil and return to your good character to continue your playthrough.

I went from the highest karma to neutral before running out of items to steal, there. After reloading for the evil 'chiever, if I remember right, I continued by killing Dukov and his two bimbos to get me to evil right away (or shortly thereafter.) If you are too close to the level cap because of Exp and can't kill anyone, you could just try to continue stealing stuff (try Tenpenny Tower shops after closing time?)

What I did to get Bad Karma was just go on a killing spree in Megaton. You don't actually level up until either all hostiles are dead, or you leave the area and wait awhile. Just keep killing until you hit evil karma, leave Megaton, walk around for awhile and there you go. That's exactly what I did.

What I did to get Bad Karma was just go on a killing spree in Megaton. You don't actually level up until either all hostiles are dead, or you leave the area and wait awhile. Just keep killing until you hit evil karma, leave Megaton, walk around for awhile and there you go. That's exactly what I did.
I blew up Megaton at the beginning of the game (dumb as I am), so that's off the list.

There seems to be this delay between when you lower your karma and your actual "karma level" changes to suit the new karma number. For instance I'm near the very top of good right now and when I started killing people and karma got lowered and I looked at the Pip-Boy...it just said the same karma name I had before killing them.

For some reason it's like you have to wait a few hours or a virtual day until it actually updates what your new karma is on the Pip-Boy, which sucks.

There seems to be this delay between when you lower your karma and your actual "karma level" changes to suit the new karma number. For instance I'm near the very top of good right now and when I started killing people and karma got lowered and I looked at the Pip-Boy...it just said the same karma name I had before killing them.

For some reason it's like you have to wait a few hours or a virtual day until it actually updates what your new karma is on the Pip-Boy, which sucks.

Nah, that's not it. Your Karma ranges from -1000 to +1000. You're neutral between -250 and +250. Below that you're evil (very evil if you're below -750) and above that you're good (very good if you're above +750). Killing a good character will net you negative karma, but perhaps only -10 or so. That way, you can still be very good, even after killing a couple of people.

Anyway, the method I used for getting al the achievements was activating and deactivating owned terminals-- alot. It doesn't net you a lot of negative karma, but you can just buttonbash your way down pretty fast. I always used Moriarty's terminal, but I guess that's impossible for you, since you've blown up Megaton. I suggest finding an owned terminal in Rivet City. Save, buttonbash to neutral, save again, get the appropriate amount of XP-Achievement!, reload to neutral, buttonbash to evil, get the appropriate amount of XP-Achievement!.

What I would do is make sure I was halfway through the level, and then just kill megaton, underworld, and rivet city. Stop at nuetral and go kill deathclaws in Olney. Continue to kill until level in rivet city/or whatever as bad.

The level 14 one is the hardest one. Due to experience leveling you quicker and you having a large deal of good karma at that time in the game. You have to stop mid level. Anything over is risky.

I have the exact opposite problem. I need to get back to neutral before I hit level 20. Any suggestions on raising karma quickly? I am at level 18 now so I hope there is a way to get back before level 20.

Not really man. Purified water and scrap metal give good karma. Clearing out Paradise falls will give you good Karma, since they are all evil.

Scrap metal gives 5 exp per, paradise falls would be just like killing megaton and would give a ton of experience.

Pure water gives you no experience when you give it to the guys who need it though. But I'm not exactly sure how much good karma each water gives you.

There may be some other item collection quests.

Any idea's on how to get Good karma guys?

I went through as good first and didnt get the Evil acheivments, Now i have to save up like 20+ water bottles, And keep the tramp outside Tenpenny alive then go buy water from people and give it to him every time i reach the level just before the acheivment. And i'd prefer to just kill him now and find out a better way of getting karma up Anyone?

Anybody know where I can find a shit load of purified water?..........very close to level 30, and need to bump up from neutral to good.

Talk to the robot in your house, u can ask for some purified water, after he gives it wonder arround for a few days on the wastelands go back to him and he should have more, gives about 5 at a time then runs out.

Dont try sleeping again and again and again that didnt work for me