Seriously, f*ck the combat challenges!

Hobbz

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got all of them, they are really hard, and take an immense amount of time to complete. But there are several methods for doing it, you can strike and evade over and over, use your batarangs every other move, this keeps your combo going and ensures that you don't have 30 guys on their feet coming after you. Don't get discouraged by the leaderboards, or by the difficulty, take the challenges one at a time, and just play smart.

I can't do the combat challenges, I have two medals, and the whole concept of them totally bored me. If I wanted to do combo fighting I'd play Streetfighter, but I don't, because I already know I'm crap at them, I think I'm just too old! However, this really shouldn't distract from the game, which really is excellent. People who give this a miss just because of the challenge sections are shooting themselves in the foot IMO, its a minor part of the game.

If I spent 10 hours doing the same thing over and over, I would get it done eventually.

No, you really wouldn't. You could sit there and mash buttons over and over again for 10 hours. But unless you get a feel for the timing and complexity of the combat system, you won't get anywhere. That's the whole "skill" thing I was talking about.

it's really interesting how much more fun the combat is once you figure out the timing and rhythm. it's weird that the Story mode doesn't really teach you much about it. i didn't really figure it out until after i beat the game and began playing around with the Challenges. i think a lot of guys who simply mashed their way through the Story won't perfect Freeflow to get Gold.

personally, i'm loving it even though it's tough. but isn't that what a challenge is supposed to be? getting Gold is supposed to be hard. ;)

And that's the thing. Story mode doesn't teach you shit about the combat in the game. It just tells you which buttons do what. And I think that's what's pissing off all of these gamers. They beat the story, and go into the challenges thinking they're ready for anything. Realizing only after they've been promptly owned that they didn't have a clue.

you know for the Variation bonus does all the vairations have to be in one combo?

Yes. Doing all 9 moves nets you the freeflow perfection achievement, in addition to earning you 5,000 points per each round that you manage to string them all together in one combo.

Variation bonus is definitely the key to beating all the challenges. I've got 3 medals in each challenge except Rumble in the Jungle (extreme) and Shock & Awe (extreme).

I can get to the 4th round of shock and awe with near 30,000 points, but just need to get a bit faster with the automatic takedowns.

Rumble in the Jungle isn't too hard, The key is getting a good variation bonus, and a couple of high combo ground takedowns in the first and third rounds (when there's no titans). In the titan rounds, I try get my combo up after stunning the titan, then keep the combo going by knocking him to one knee. Once you mount him, you combo doesn't drop, and you get a combo X 25 for each henchmen hit. If you have a 20+ combo, you'll get a ton of points.

I also restart the challenge if I don't get a 9x variation bonus in the first round. It helps a ton, and only takes 2 minutes. After that, it's just practice, practice, practice.

No, you really wouldn't. You could sit there and mash buttons over and over again for 10 hours. But unless you get a feel for the timing and complexity of the combat system, you won't get anywhere. That's the whole "skill" thing I was talking about.

I haven't been button mashing...I did to start with, on the story mode, but I have sat down on the challenges and tried to get this 'feel' for things. Tried to get the rhythm. But I just can't get it.

Maybe if I did sit down for 10 hours I might crack it. I am a 'if I can't get it in the first 20 mins, I'll not get it ever', some things are worth sticking at, but from what I've seen of Batman, the game itself is awesome and I've loved playing it, but I don't want too, or have the time too, sit down and learn it in that much detail.

It's good what Eidos have created, a great game, with a great story, graphics etc. You can just pick it up and play it, but then, they have lost half their audience by making the combat too complex, and as you said, not explaining it well enough.

Half the 'pro' gamers love it, half the 'casual' gamers hate it!

Skill takes practice and patience.

Fact.

Sorry, just reading back over the thread, I have to say, this is not true. Other wise the world would be full of world class soccer players, and golfers, and tennis champions.

But there's only a few in each field that are 'world class', coz Tiger Woods has the correct aptitude for golf...no matter how much practice and patience I could put into playing golf, I would never beat him.

(And I mean on a real golf course, not Tiger Woods '09)

As I have said, some people have 'got' the combat and are good at it, some haven't.

I doubt that the biggest factor in the combat system is luck....when I started I could only get 1k on the first combat challenge...but I eventually got better....cause I kept at it

Maybe if I did sit down for 10 hours I might crack it. I am a 'if I can't get it in the first 20 mins, I'll not get it ever', some things are worth sticking at, but from what I've seen of Batman, the game itself is awesome and I've loved playing it, but I don't want too, or have the time too, sit down and learn it in that much detail.

Im sorry but that is just pathetic......"If I cant get it in 20 min, ill never get it"....If everybody were like you the world would cease to exist...nobody said to sit 10 hours straight, when I said 10 hours I meant total

Sorry, just reading back over the thread, I have to say, this is not true. Other wise the world would be full of world class soccer players, and golfers, and tennis champions.

One one hand I agree with you..there are only a small group of greats....but you do not need to be great to beat these.......In this case the greats would be the people at the top of the leaderboards where most will be way below in the minor minor leagues

Edited by KNIGHTOFSERA

I doubt that the biggest factor in the combat system is luck....when I started I could only get 1k on the first combat challenge...but I eventually got better....

There must me a nack to it. I cant understand how people are getting like 50k more than they need there must be some kind of easy way to get points. The first shock and Awe you need 30k the guy on the top of the leaderboard has like 80k if i remember how on earth can you get that much.

There must me a nack to it. I cant understand how people are getting like 50k more than they need there must be some kind of easy way to get points. The first shock and Awe you need 30k the guy on the top of the leaderboard has like 80k if i remember how on earth can you get that much.
They keep their combo up, diversify and probably get the perfect knight and perfect combo bonuses at the end

cause using all moves in the combo is 5k a round, then 1k each round for flawless freelow, 500 for not getting hit

at the end they probably get the overall bonuses

What are the variation bonus the highest ive got is like x5 and im sure i only got like 500 points for that.

well if you use all the moves its worth 5k...so basically you have to redo the freelow perfection achievement to get this high of a variation

so yeah if they do that every round thats 20k right there

well if you use all the moves its worth 5k...so basically you have to redo the freelow perfection achievement to get this high of a variation

so yeah if they do that every round thats 20k right there

I struggle to get that atall so if i can perfect this it should help a great deal. My problem is getting the points and can go on an finish the challenges i dont die i just dont seem to get enough points. Im currently going through them trying to complete each one as i go im up to Shock and Awe the the first one and the highest ive got is only 25k

I struggle to get that atall so if i can perfect this it should help a great deal. My problem is getting the points and can go on an finish the challenges i dont die i just dont seem to get enough points. Im currently going through them trying to complete each one as i go im up to Shock and Awe the the first one and the highest ive got is only 25k

Try to jump around over everybody to keep up the combo, and when you have your special use the instant takedown, when you have 3 ppl left use your batclaw, jump over them while they are stumbling, and ground takedown 2 of them, then batclaw the third one and ground takedown him

ground takedowns are worth 100 times your combo...so big points there

Mmmm Idk with the fact that some people "have it" and others just simply "dont" Tiger Woods for example had his father breathing down his neck saying "BOY YOU BETTER NOT MESS THIS UP!!!" same with Micheal Jackson ect. if you do put in the effort. . . . and I mean back breaking effort. . . .you'll get it down pack tight. its common knowledge

Mmmm Idk with the fact that some people "have it" and others just simply "dont" Tiger Woods for example had his father breathing down his neck saying "BOY YOU BETTER NOT MESS THIS UP!!!" same with Micheal Jackson ect. if you do put in the effort. . . . and I mean back breaking effort. . . .you'll get it down pack tight. its common knowledge

yes some people are definitely more skilled and require less training, but anyone could get better at anything...it would just take more time

Just like I could practice guitar hero/rock band and actually be able to do expert....but I really dont care