Seriously, f*ck the combat challenges!

Hobbz

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

exactlly, so theres no sense in saying; "I cant do these chalenges" its just a matter of you going back to them and dusting off your feet taking a deep breath and doing what needs to be done. If you want my own personal experience with these chalenges I find it I play my eyes out. . . . get frustrated. . . . and then quit. Come back 5 hours later and guess what? I seem better. . . .the thug's movments seem slower I can anticipate their attacks better. Dont think about the chalenge as a whole think about; "This is what I need to do first work on my striking. . . . " then move onto the next thing. . . its just a matter of perserverance, and Batman is a fine example of it (the game not the character)

Im sorry but that is just pathetic......"If I cant get it in 20 min, ill never get it"....If everybody were like you the world would cease to exist...nobody said to sit 10 hours straight, when I said 10 hours I meant total

I know you didn't mean 'straight', I would have seriously doubted anyone sanity if they sat for 10 hours straight to get one cheeve! :p

I can usually pick up a feel for a game in the first 20 minutes, in fact, with any sport as well. Some I 'get' straight away, some I just don't. I have put a good couple of hours into the combat, I just don't get it. And that's all the techniques I've read about on here.

One one hand I agree with you..there are only a small group of greats....but you do not need to be great to beat these.

I agree. You don't need to be 'great', you just need to 'get it'. And, to sound like a broken record, some people get it, some aren't.

It's a weird 'design' by Eidos. The majority of games, most people can pick up and play, but with Bats, it just odd that some do, some don't.

Again, as was said by someone else, if the story mode had 'explained' the combat, it might have made a difference. Chances are, if you came round my house and showed me, that might work too. :p

You don't really have to be great to get these challenges, if you want to be high up on the leaderboard, then that's one thing. But on most of these challenges I barely got over the minimum points, and that was achievement enough for me. I'm telling you guys, if I can get it, anyone can get it eventually. I am in no way a pro gamer, but I told myself I wasn't going to quit until I got my 1 K out of this game. It took some time, but eventually I was able to pull it off. Just take the maps one at a time, hell, I only survived all 4 rounds on Shock and Awe like 4 times, and only once with over 30 K. It isn't impossible.

anyone who's played Guitar Hero remembers the first time they bumped the difficulty up to expert and was like, "Fuck that!!! I'm never gonna be that good!!!" very very few people would be able to just start on that difficulty from the get-go, but if u play through on medium until youve got it, and then progress up to hard, etc. you slowly accumulate the skill necessary to eventually play on expert...

batman combat is like that... playing through the story is like playing on easy with no chance of failing... so noone is even aware of all the shit they can actually pull off in combat... but if u stick to it, (practice getting all 9 moves worked into your combo... that helped me understand the timing of everything) you will get better... even if you don't notice it day to day you will notice at the end of a week how much better you've got

but, like Guitar Hero, it does take a lot of time and regular practice to even stay good enough at

my brother and I teamed up on his xbox to get the combat challenges finished. we played for at least ten hours over two days and unlocked PErfect Knight. When it came to teaming up on my xbox to complete the combat challenges we breezed through due to all the practice. Now I enjoy kicking the sh*t out of the henchman with my skills!

there is truth to the saying "practice makes perfect".

I agree this game is too cool to finish with 875gp.

You're way overreacting. The combat challenges are a challenge. They called it a challenge for a reason. They're not that hard at all, you just need to keep your combo up at all times and if you get hit it's still okay. Do Ground Takedowns as much as possible and get the 5000 variation bonus as much as you can. It's pie to me.

I haven't been button mashing...I did to start with, on the story mode, but I have sat down on the challenges and tried to get this 'feel' for things. Tried to get the rhythm. But I just can't get it.

Maybe if I did sit down for 10 hours I might crack it. I am a 'if I can't get it in the first 20 mins, I'll not get it ever', some things are worth sticking at, but from what I've seen of Batman, the game itself is awesome and I've loved playing it, but I don't want too, or have the time too, sit down and learn it in that much detail.

It's good what Eidos have created, a great game, with a great story, graphics etc. You can just pick it up and play it, but then, they have lost half their audience by making the combat too complex, and as you said, not explaining it well enough.

Half the 'pro' gamers love it, half the 'casual' gamers hate it!

Lol coming from the person who 1000'nd Oblivion and Fallout. AS if that doesn't take a tremendous amount of time. Combat really isn't that hard, just keep your combo up and don't get hit, finish with a ground takedown and you will get it.

The perfection variation bonus helps but is not worth it, trying to get that everytime will get you frustrated and not a whole lot of points. More times than none you will kill all the enemies before getting that 5000 point bonus so just worry about keeping enemies at a distance,combo up, and ground pound. You get way more points that way.....the most variation bonus i had after i had already gotten the perfection achievement crap was 500 point bonus variationi thats it.. :uzi:

Fair enough to anybody who can sit there and have the patience to deal with them, but I have had enough.

I have completed the game, got all the riddles, done all the predator challenges and I am left with the combat ones, what a joke they are. Before you claim I am unskilled or lack the patience, I have tried for hours to complete them and the same bs happens.

An enemy will come out of nowhere, the counter will fail and he ruins a combo, I will press the attack button and the game wont recognise it thus ending my combo, it just really isnt worth the hassle.

I will rest with completing the game fully without the combat challenge achievements. Lets be real, the combat in this game is definetly the weakest element so relying on chance to fluke your way though a combat challenge cos the combat gameplay wasnt created to properly react to your movements isnt my idea of fun.

Peace!

That's pretty surprising. I've found them to be all awesome-ly entertaining and quite simple. After i got those riddler trophies, i jumped right in. Took me about a good hour and a half to finish em' the ones i didn't play earlier and i 3 stared em all as well.

My point being, how could you not enjoy them?

I'm not very good at it, but I only played for an hour or two and that greatly helped, so I'm pretty determined to do this. The only thing I find annoying is not seeing the red guys properly, and the fact ground takedowns are extremely difficult since some guy just comes up to you and hits you most of the time.

Lol coming from the person who 1000'nd Oblivion and Fallout. AS if that doesn't take a tremendous amount of time.

I like 'moneys worth' out of a game, Oblivion was about 60 hours play (and I still play it on and off) and Fallout 3 was about 20 hours odd. But that was over a few months.

For me, gaming is about having fun, chilling out and enjoying it, like watching a movie.

Combat really isn't that hard, just keep your combo up and don't get hit, finish with a ground takedown and you will get it.

Yeah, saying that is so easy. I have spent time trying to 'get it' but I can't seem too.

AGAIN, some people get it, some don't! It's getting patronising that those who do get it are mocking those who don't. Fair enough, those who don't get it, should stop moaning, but then, those who do, could cut them a little slack.

Just like people like different types of games, different styles. The down side of this game is that the overall game is amazing, and I loved playing the story and I was hoping for a 1k game, but I'm not getting the combat. Just like if I played a 'footy' game, I wouldn't get it, coz I don't like footy games. It's a pity Eidos didn't explain the combat better, coz then more people wouldn't be moaning.

Just finished my last 2 combat challenges and got 100%. Shock and Awe was surprisingly easy. First round I got a decent variation bonus, and then every round after that I just used instant takedowns. Finished every round with 10+ seconds left.

Rumble in the Jungle took me a few more tries, but each time I just replayed the first round. Finally got a great first round (perfect variation bonus, and 3 ground takedowns at a 30+ combo), and went into the second round with over 27,000. Wasn't even a challenge to get the rest.

i have not read the whole forum and dont know if this would help but! it doesnt matter if you get and your combo goes down to zero, my method was to get a high combo lets say 15? and start ground take down everybody, u will see your score going up like crazy! in the beginning i used to restart when i get hit and it was frustrating, but ground take downs are like 100 x whatever multiplayer you have, highest points if i remember correctly. goodluck!

Just finished my last 2 combat challenges and got 100%. Shock and Awe was surprisingly easy. First round I got a decent variation bonus, and then every round after that I just used instant takedowns. Finished every round with 10+ seconds left.

Rumble in the Jungle took me a few more tries, but each time I just replayed the first round. Finally got a great first round (perfect variation bonus, and 3 ground takedowns at a 30+ combo), and went into the second round with over 27,000. Wasn't even a challenge to get the rest.

Well said, that is exactly the key to the extreme challenges! Play the first round and make sure you get a really good score, if you don't, restart! Pointless going through the four rounds if your first sucked. Not to say that you wont make the points up in other rounds, but i prefered to restart on the first than the last!

Quick hint, start the round with the batclaw, then A+A, then B and then go into your combo, before you have really started you will have a variation bonus of 4 or 5! Add 2 different takedowns and you are looking at a couple of thousand points for no work at all! At the end, as so many people have pointed out, use the ground pound (RT+Y), this adds an incredible amount of points to your score if your on a good combo! I finished Shock and Awe (extreme) with three bats before the third round ended, and i am shite at these kind of games!

One of the more satisfying games i have 1000g's in and i am sure when you finally do crack them, you will agree that its an all round awesome game! Good luck!