Seriously, f*ck the combat challenges!

Hobbz

I'm not very good at it, but I only played for an hour or two and that greatly helped, so I'm pretty determined to do this. The only thing I find annoying is not seeing the red guys properly, and the fact ground takedowns are extremely difficult since some guy just comes up to you and hits you most of the time.

Thats the problem I had, but only on the shock and awes....sometimes I couldnt tell the knife guys from the other guys.....so yeah thats one thing I would change, make knife wielder appear orange in detective mode...

and I still dont get why some people are still saying they should have explained the fighting system better...seemed straight forward to me... and the achievements for fleeflow perfection and 40x combo should help you get better as you are trying to go for those....and if you have any more doubts there are always the forums....You just have to put in some time to get it right....if youre not willing to do that its nobodys fault but your own

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've noticed that im piecing combos together more easily than I once was. practice and determination will help you here. im pulling over 40 combos with ease now. its not as hard as i once found it. the predator maps are easy enough. dont worry about times. im hoping to complete this game.

You stole my avatar! :eek:

most of the combat challenges aren't too hard once you figure out some ways to seriously bump your score. Once I found out that a ground pound is 'combo x 100' per guy, it really sped up the process of getting the required points.

Shock and Awe extreme will forever be a bitch though, I'm glad I'll never have to play through that again

most of the combat challenges aren't too hard once you figure out some ways to seriously bump your score. Once I found out that a ground pound is 'combo x 100' per guy, it really sped up the process of getting the required points.

Shock and Awe extreme will forever be a bitch though, I'm glad I'll never have to play through that again

Shock and Awe EXTREME is my favorite one! :D

Mmmm Idk with the fact that some people "have it" and others just simply "dont" Tiger Woods for example had his father breathing down his neck saying "BOY YOU BETTER NOT MESS THIS UP!!!" same with Micheal Jackson ect. if you do put in the effort. . . . and I mean back breaking effort. . . .you'll get it down pack tight. its common knowledge

hahahahaha I cannot believe you are comparing the combat challenges on a Batman video game to mastering your craft in music or golf, thats pretty damn dillusional man.

Meh, the combat challenges are mostly about luck guys come on now. I accept you need a bit of skill to get high combos, but most of the time the game decides when to mess up and break up a combo making it all about fluking your way through. You could have the perfect timing in the world and the game will suddenly not recognise what you have just pressed and at X30 it ends....

If you sit there ten hours straight, im sure you will fluke your way through eventually and I am not prepared to do that in the hope I get some luck.

I think Eidos set out with the intention of making these combat challenges have lots of replay value but what they created was something glitchy and mostly dependent on luck....

the timing of the batarang seemed iffy to me for a while until i realized how to use it properly... basically i don't think any of it's luck... since i've figured out exactly how to best use each different attack i haven't ever just "randomly" lost my combo... yes there's a very small window for hitting your buttons sometimes depending on what your last attack was, but being difficult does not equal "broken"... this is one of the most flawless combat systems i've ever played

Batman's combat and Trials HD are 2 of the best examples i've ever seen of "easy to learn, difficult to master" mechanics at play

I think Eidos set out with the intention of making these combat challenges have lots of replay value but what they created was something glitchy and mostly dependent on luck....

^ thats is what unskilled impatient people think....I know cause I thought that too, I was saying to myself "WTF!!!!!! whered my COMBO GOOO!!!".....and Id hit my couch, but after you spend some time you realize its not luck..........seriously the only people who think the combat system is bad are people who like to spend two minutes to get to know something and not take some time.......If you want something easy go play your copy of Avatar

In my opinion the fighting system of this game is awesome. I've never had so much fun fighting generic enemies. The combat challenges look like they can get really hard but I'm going to try and get through them. No pain no gain right? This isn't one of those noob-easy games like Avatar or King Kong.

Edited by Neo

Meh, the combat challenges are mostly about luck guys come on now. I accept you need a bit of skill to get high combos, but most of the time the game decides when to mess up and break up a combo making it all about fluking your way through. You could have the perfect timing in the world and the game will suddenly not recognise what you have just pressed and at X30 it ends....

If you sit there ten hours straight, im sure you will fluke your way through eventually and I am not prepared to do that in the hope I get some luck.

Yea and somehow people are able to luck their way to 3 bats every single time now, me being one of them. Smashing buttons just won't do it. You need to think about what guy you are gonna hit next, kinda like a game of chess. Prioritize certain enemies (knife dudes, taser dudes, First and foremost anybody going or using a gun, and guys throwing shit), don't get surrounded, if you do just jump over them and you'll keep your combo. understand that hitting a guy behind you takes longer than just hitting people in front of you (keep that in mind for countering), if someone is running full speed at you as opposed to just standing around looking/waiting then he is gonna be the one to attack you next. Guys with poles or bats have a much further reach so take them out.

***On the last 3 or 4 guys, batclaw them, then hop OVER one of them to keep your combo. They will fall to the ground and take out 2 with a ground takedown (Batman will home in on them). Jump over the 3rd or 4th guy because by now the other ones will have gotten up. Batclaw again, hop OVER one again. Ground takedown the last 1 or 2. Keep in mind that you can only counter during a ground takedown AFTER you punch the dude on the floor, not before so time accordingly. So lets do some math. You should be at around a 20 hit combo by the time you do this (ish). 1st takedown equals 2,000+ pts, 2nd 2100+ pts, 3rd 2200+ pts, 4th 2300+pts. And those are per enemy. So that's 8600 pts alone, not to mention a decent variation bonus a 6 variation bonus which is extremely easy to pull off is an extra 1000 pts (or 2000 i can't remember), don't get hit is 500 pts (dark knight bonus), and keeping a combo the entire time which is easy now that you know that jumping over guys adds to your variation and doesn't cancel your combo (and you can jump over the venom guys), gets you another 1000. So for all that alone you get 11,100 points at a minimum per round. That doesn't include regular points. Keep in mind that this is just an estimate. But just smashing guys in the head with no regard for technique will fetch you 500 points total instead. Use those tactics and just keep at it.

Now obviously that sounds easy. Well that's because it is, just build up your skills by getting good at Sewer Bat, the 2nd combat challenge. Once you are good there then move up. And like someone said before, get an awesome 1st round score to set yourself up for success.

Edited by FalseHope4829

Quick hint, start the round with the batclaw, then A+A, then B and then go into your combo, before you have really started you will have a variation bonus of 4 or 5! Add 2 different takedowns and you are looking at a couple of thousand points for no work at all! At the end, as so many people have pointed out, use the ground pound (RT+Y), this adds an incredible amount of points to your score if your on a good combo! I finished Shock and Awe (extreme) with three bats before the third round ended, and i am shite at these kind of games!

Thanks for this tip on starting a combo.

If you want something easy go play your copy of Avatar

Real constructive man, somebody caught feelings?

And thanks for the advice FalseHope, I might try to master it but even if I did my opinion would remain the same, there is significant element of luck in getting high scores on these combat challenges.

The combat system isn't broken. If it were, no one could beat the challenges.

And now I'll beat a dead horse:

Earning the medals in combat challenges takes skill. Skill takes practice and patience.

Fact.

You'll get no better response than this. They were hard I'll give you that, but the combat system is nowhere near broken.

I think that this type of game is just not for everybody. Just like I think that some people are by nature good at FPS or race games.

I am not good at this and will never get the combat challenges on gold. even if I play it for 40 hours.

But I sure as hell love this game! :)

Real constructive man, somebody caught feelings?

oh yes my feelings are hurt...:(...Im gonna go cry now...............yea right, Like I care if you dont have patience or skill, Im just stating a simple fact......

Anyone can practice the strategies all around the forums and get this with some time, and again Ill say it, might take time and patience

seriously though I should stop myself.....cause in the end I really dont care what you guys think about the combat system...Ill just believe what I want cause I know its right

Edited by KNIGHTOFSERA

I've not read the full forum but i was wondering if there were any tips anyone could offer on how to beat shock and awe on extreme. I get the 30,000 required easily by the end of round 3 but i just don't ever seem to have enough time to kill them all in the final round. I know i just probably suck but is there a quick method to doing this? I only need this for 100%

Keep your combo going at all times and don't get hit. Use GT frequently and don't do too much takedowns. As they descrease your timer by about 3-5 seconds. If you keep your combo going and not getting hit, your definetly going to beat the time limit and get 30,000+ to your score.

the combat in this game IS broken, to say its perfect is retarded, if luck is involved its broken (in my opinion at least!) and there's far to much luck involved in the combat challenges

AND anybody who says they are easy are full of shit!

with that said though, i still love the combat in this game, even with all the glitches

The main thing that is annoying me now is Mark Hamil, which is criminal, because i love mark hamil! im actually dreading watching my beloved Batman TAS boxsets again!.....this game desperately needs a skip button implemented at the start of each challenge cause everytime i hear that announcer crap, im one step closer to smashing my controller!

oh and cheers for the advice about the ground pounding, i've been focusing on doing variations in my combo, which is frustrating! will stick with ground pounds and see how i fair!

Edited by zapp_8rannigan

oh yes my feelings are hurt...:(...Im gonna go cry now...............yea right, Like I care if you dont have patience or skill, Im just stating a simple fact......

Anyone can practice the strategies all around the forums and get this with some time, and again Ill say it, might take time and patience

seriously though I should stop myself.....cause in the end I really dont care what you guys think about the combat system...Ill just believe what I want cause I know its right

The fact is you dont know anything about me and randomly tried to get bitchy....

I wont lose any sleep knowing somebody online thinks I dont have skill cos Im not the best at button bashing the x button whilst running around in circles on a game of Batman...