Fighter Pilot Tips

Octavian Ajax

This has to be the most neglected method of fighting in Battlefield - Mainly because its the most demanding vehicle in the game. Having a less than basic understanding of a planes maneuverability is kind of essential, otherwise (and like a certain friend of mine) you'll be there for ages rolling around your analog sticks without a clue how to steer.

Air Superiority is by far the perfect way to get to grips with the plane. Seeing as the sole objective is to dogfight and gain control of the specified airspace, you'll soon find your pilot skills taking hold and - once you feel confident with controling the plane, theres a lot of fun to be had.

Here is a few handy tips on how to put the plane to good use and how to stay alive for more than the average battlefield pilot life-span..

View Transitioning:

A good way to make yourself a force to be reckoned with is by mastering your movements around the map. Whether it be high up in the air, or lower down and closer the hills, treelines and other obsticales that could end all your fun with the slightist bumb or grind. When it comes to flying through and over the battlefield, try not to use your cockpit view all the time. Without knowing how close your wings are to possible collisions, you dont stand a chance at going for tank-busting bombs or raining down fire on infantry. Switching to normal plane view is usefull at the best of times - but for unmatched accuarcy, cockpit view is always advised for swooping down on targets and downing enemy planes. Try to get a good sense of when to change view and you shouldnt have any problems, other than that of your enemy, not trees.

Head on fighting:

Once you leave the runway of either your carrier or base, you'll often find an enemy pilot(s) heading for the first plane he/she has in their crosshairs. Take on a pilot like this and your in for a game of chicken - only with the main factor of precision. Always keep your plane in line with the target and dont try to change your flight movements. If you try to decent or gain alttitude in the slightest, you expose more of your plane to the enemy, making it easier for them to take you down. Just keep your crosshairs on him and keep a constant rate of fire. If your target is at a greater distance, use short bursts of fire until he becomes closer. This will ensure your turrets dont overheat at the worst possible time. You can also try barrel rolling to often minimize the amount of damage you take. One tactic i tend to get away with is turning my plane upside down as the other pilot gets closer while still firing - and then moving downwards just before he rams into you. Not really the best thing to try but it does look good if you pull it off.

Tailing:

When in flight you may find yourself a pest of an enemy pilot constantly flying over the map and giving your allies on the ground all sorts of hell. Dont try firing at him from a great distance, as your chances of hitting him are low and you may alert him to your pressence. Follow his movements and stay relatively close to him. When he decides to take a long way round the map in order to get a better approach on his targets, go in for the kill. Remember when firing on your target you may need to aim slightly ahead of his flight direction, or you'll be wasteing time and, once again letting him know he's being tailed. It can sometimes take a while to get kills using this method, especially if he knows your there. Unless your luck is in, you can expect a lenghy dogfight.

Tank-Busting:

By far the most demanding weapon in your planes arsenal is the bomb. It takes a certain degree of skill to make your bombing attempts effective - esspecially in covered areas such as trees and bunkers. Although bombs can kill soldiers, it will take near enough a direct hit to take them out, and seeing as soldiers are far smaller than tanks, jeeps or planes being driven of a runway - they normally come out of luck. The only tip i can really give is not to drop the bombs when your directly over your target. Usually, your bombs will fly further forward, depending on how fast your going. Drop the payload just before you fly over the target. Bombing from a very high position will often lead to nothing, but can supress enemies if you just happen to be flying over thier base during a dogfight and you might aswell use them for something right?

Below Radar:

One way to show off in a plane is by doing evasive maneuvers. The best example of this is flying just above sea level. This should only be attempted if your confident with your flying skills as it is risky, but if your not being tailed and your taking fire from an enemy AAG, then your pretty much out of its range. Anti-Aircraft guns can only aim straight or high and never downwards. Find yourself an enemy plane and you can quickly gain alttitude and take action. Flying low is also great for making a departure on enemy ground quickly and effectively. Flying up high and parachuting down can sometimes attract attention and leave you a sitting (flying?) duck for enemy fire.

Either way, you will pick up on these tips over the course of playing the game. If you havent really given the plane much attention, then this will surely give you some idea of what to expect. So get in a plane and annoy everyone with your antics!!

Lol .. This Thread is like the one a guy made the other day about 'What the Guns do and how to use them' ... that one and this one is all common sense ...

This may help the noobs but its a bit of a waste I think .. most people learn in there own time and all of the above is pretty obvious!

Edit;

OMG MEGALOLZ ROLFCOPTOR!!!

It was you who made the Guns Thread .. That was a great hit wasnt it .. get out mate, life dont revolve around BF!

Edited by Nozza

wonder what you do for a living...

Iv got a full time job! 9-5.30 weekdays and I work every other saturday at my old place just to fill in .. and no I dont spend all my time on XBL .. I wont even be touching it this w/e in fact..

He plays halo, the most challenge game for all ages!

I only played Halo last night to help my mate complete it on Legendary .. his GT is HarperBird .. check it out (not implying that you dont believe me but...)! Halo 3 sucks IMO and I prefer CoD online over that.

9 - 5:30... wow real impressive mate, shelf stacker by any chance? lol I dont actually care to be honest im just here to write my opinions and tips for the sake of whatever reason so fairplay to whatever you do or why you do it. personally i get paid to turn people into scattered piles of meat so any other job is inferior to me lol!

9 - 5:30... wow real impressive mate, shelf stacker by any chance? lol I dont actually care to be honest im just here to write my opinions and tips for the sake of whatever reason so fairplay to whatever you do or why you do it. personally i get paid to turn people into scattered piles of meat so any other job is inferior to me lol!

Sales manager @ a creative packaging company .. far from any super market!

You proberbly dont get paid enough for putting yourself on the line .. but id rather be safe here than think im top of the food chain caus I get to kill people for a living!

Ok, first of all, Octavian is new. He is trying to help and contribute. Whereas you, mnorsworthy, are being an arse. There are plenty of good tips here. For those such as myself who rarely ever take to the air, it is useful.

How about in the future, you choose to refrain from posting if all you intend to do is take digs at the TC.

• 2 weeks later...