Your first experience with Bubble Bobble

RenRenRen

From what I've seen for most of us this isn't our first time playing Bubble Bobble, I was curious how everyone got into it since it's been on so many different platforms over the decades.

I first had it (and still do) for the ZX Spectrum (128K +2), and since then have owned it on the Sega Saturn and Nintendo DS.

Sadly I've never seen or played the original arcade game on an actual cabinet :(

I remember when my mom first brought home the NES. She had Tetris and Bubble Bobble. I'm sure at the time I looked at both the covers and knew Bubble Bobble was the way to go. I remember me and her playing together. Good times. I had to of been around 2 or 3.....the first game I ever played that I remember fondly. *sniff*

I like Tetris though.... :D

I think I have probably the majority of all Bubble Bobble titles in the past, but my most fondest memories would definately come from the original arcade version. I would skip school at any age to go play some bub and bob at the arcade, even in gr.1. Also remember countless hours of playing at home with my brother. Can't wait until puzzle bobble live comes for the arcade as well.

Doubt that I'll ever forget the first time I played this in the arcades. I was on holiday with my parents in Clacton (an English seaside town), and it was a staggeringly bright, beautiful summers day. Strolled into one of the many arcades dotted around, and the cab caught my eye immediately. Two hours later (and a shed load of 10 pences later too) I tore myself away from it, but visited it every day for the remainder of my holiday. The beautiful sprites, intriguing pick-ups, and insanely catchy music stayed on my mind for ages afterwards, and it became my favourite game of all time... and still is.

I remember almost exploding with excitement when it was released on the C64, and my joy at finding it to be an excellent conversion.

Few things beat the sight of a giant cake falling down the screen... :)

Edited by Ooyah
Spelling catastrophe

I remember playing it at the swimming baths and the seaside, i also remember playing Super bubble bobble in Wales.

Ive been a big fan since the 80's and had it on the C-64, master system and Saturn, the Saturn version featuring Rainbow Islands was great but i had to have a arcade version so i made one from scratch.

Check it out here

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=65298.0

I must admit that Bubble Bobble Neo is a little dissapointing to me, the collision detection is a little unforgiving and i prefer the original sprites to this polygon version.

I also prefered it when you could map the controls to push up for jump.

Overall its still good to see i new version though.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to play it in the local arcade called BIJOE. Sadly the place closed down to selling drugs over the counter. Used to go there with my best friend every weekend and nail as much money into the game. Could never figure out how to get a good ending once i beat the game. Sadly enough i had a hell of a time getting the real ending in the nes version. (had to get the crystal ball) major pain in the butt! Used to rent the nes title at towers video in my hood.

Ive owned the game on nes, psx, and a few other comliation systems.

I still think the arcade is the best.. i used to play it at the brock university arcade too back in the 80's

The ghost monsters scared the hell out of me!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I played it first when I was about 6ish, on the PS1. Used to have it at my Grandmas and we'd all take it in turns to play and try to complete it together. I've lost track of the amount of times I've completed it in total now, one of my all time favourite games :D

everyday i would go down to the arcade as a kid and one quarter in and would have the high score all day for bubble bobble.Thats because i was the only one in my town who new the button combination to unlock all special so even when you died you still were fast with rapid fire and also new button combination to make it so if you die the secret doors on level 20, 30, and 40 still opened. which as kid i called them the diamond doors cause they were rooms full of diamonds that always gave me the high score.This was one of my favorite arcade games as a kid.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
And aren't you happy you took my suggestion? I mean a gamer who doesn't play bubble bobble is like an astronaut refusing to look at the moon. Am I right or am I right, right!

u rite!

oh and I'm supposed to provide at least 10 characters for my message, so here they are

I <3 Bubble Bobble

I'm still ashamed that you can't play co-op online with this, or i'd get it sooner

I'll probably get it either way, but that makes me less likely to purchase it