Recommend a Fantasy book.

Genesis x360a

Hey guys,

Looking for some suggestions for a new Fantasy book. Preferably something that's apart of a trilogy but it doesn't have to be.

Heres what I've read recently so you get an idea of the kind of stuff I like to read.

LOTR.

Eragon Trilogy.

A Song Of Ice and Fire.

His Dark Materials.

Please only put forward fantasy books and preferably ones that you have read so I know I'm getting your honest opinion :)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Genesis x360a

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly recommend The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erickson. The first book in the series is called [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardens-Moon-Book-Malazan-Fallen/dp/0553819577/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275927845&sr=8-1]Gardens of the Moon[/ame]. It is currently at 9 books with one more to go.

Also if you can find them you should check out the Black Company books by Glen Cook. The first book in it is called [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Company-Chronicle/dp/0812521390/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275927914&sr=1-2]The Black Company[/ame].

I dunno if your into longer books, but "The White Dragon" by Laura Resnick (the 1st of three)

A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin (1st of 4)

awesome/hilarious books, and shorter too- the novels of Discworld by Terry Pratchett

(I'll be checking back too for some good books too, I <3 fantasy! :D)

A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin (1st of 4)

awesome/hilarious books, and shorter too- the novels of Discworld by Terry Pratchett

(I'll be checking back too for some good books too, I <3 fantasy! :D)

Gonna get all book nerdy on you right now lol A Game Of Thrones is the first of 7 books by George R R Martin which together make up the A Song Of Ice and Fire collection.

A Game Of Thrones.

A Clash Of kings.

A Storm Of Swords.

A Feast For Crows.

A Dance With Dragons.

The Winds Of Winter.

A Dream Of Spring.

A dance with dragons is currently being written and is said to be expected no earlier than November-December this year. The winds of winter and A dream of spring have only been given there titles for now. I highly recommend these books to any fantasy lover.

Ill be sure to give The white dragon a look :) But not TP, I hate his wirting and books lol I dont know what it is but i really dont like his books :p

Thanks to everyone else's sugestions aswell ill be sure to look into them all. Keep your sugestions coming, you can never have to many books :)

You don't like Pratchett?! Crazy... I didn't think it was possible to not like his writing. :p

Like i said man i know what it is about his writing i just cant stand to read it. I made myself read one of his books just so i wasnt making an hasty judgement but after reading the book i felt like ripping out my eyes lol :p

My two favorites are probably

Earth Abides by George R. Stewart which is a post-apocalyptic book and Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is kind of a futuristic cyber-punk novel. They're both great, and I would recommend them to almost anyone.

If you liked LOTR and classic fantasy, then you may want to check out R.A. Salvatore's books set in the D&D world of Forgotten Realms. Start with The Crystal Shard and if you like it, check out the rest of the Icewind Dale Trilogy.

The second book, Streams of Silver, reminds me of a classic dungeon crawler story (invokes the Mines of Moria scene).

If you really get into the first few books, then there are about another 25 books that feature the characters (including the five Cleric Quintet books which focuses on a supporting character).

Any of the Realm of the Elderling trilogies by Robin Hobb.

The Farseer trilogy

- Assassin's Apprentice

- Royal Assassin

- Assassin's Quest

Liveship Traders trilogy

- Ship of Magic

- The Mad Ship

- Ship of Destiny

The Tawny Man trilogy

- Fool's Errand

- Golden Fool

- Fool's Fate

The 1st and 3rd trilogies both are about the same characters (both written in 1st person).

The 2nd trilogy is set in the same world but you don't need to read the others (and it's written 3rd person).

try trudi canavan black magicians trilogy, I LOVE them. and her other series the age of the five trilogy. haven't read the new series

Also wheel of time by robert jordan is amazing, they're currently writing the 13th in the series, i'm on book 7 and still majorly into it <3

The Belgariad is a five-book fantasy epic written by David Eddings.

The series tells the story of the recovery of the Orb of Aldur and coming of age of Garion, an orphaned farmboy. Garion is accompanied by his aunt Polgara and grandfather Belgarath as they try to fulfill an ancient prophecy that will decide the fate of the universe. Along the way, various "instruments", or helpers, of the prophecy join their quest to recover the orb, and Garion discovers his true identity and destiny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think my favourite fantasy books at the moment are by Kristen Britain. It stands as a trilogy at the moment, but I think she is writing a fourth.

The first is called 'Green Rider' if you want a look.

(Second and third are 'First Riders Call' and 'The High Kings Tomb')

I would recommend Dragon Lance Chronicles series. I read it when I was younger and it was excellent. Led me to read about 30 of the Dragon Lance books after.

Also I have to say Harry Potter. I didn't read it until I was about 30 and I couldn't put them down. Seriously.

Enders Game by Orson Scott Card. Excellent book. Though more on the sci-fi side of things

Fun and funny series to read is the Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxie. Also a sci-fi but rather funny British humor series.

I highly recommend anything by Terry Brooks. The Sword of Shannara series is most like LoTR, and then he also has the Kingdom of Landover series as well as The Word and The Void trilogy. All are great stories.