Recommend a Fantasy book.

Genesis x360a

I am an avid fantasy reader. Try some of these out.

Raymond E. Feist - Riftwar Saga. Probably close to 20 set in this land.

Dennis L. McKiernan - Iron Tower Trilogy. Excellent series. Sort of like hobbits but they are master bowmen.

John Dalmas - Farside series. Great series.

S.M Striling and David Drake - The General series. Great strategic battles with giant dogs rode into battle. Who wouldn't love to ride into battle on beasts that bite the arms off of people? Also great when the good guys are just as bad and evil seeming as the bad guys.

Elizabeth Moon - The Deed of Paksenarrion. Loved the whole country girl to bad-ass fighter and more of this series.

David Gemmell - anything by this guy. Seriously anything by him is good. Waylander is an excellent character.

These are many of my favorites other than ones I have already seen in this thread.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half of what I was going to say has already been said, such as The Night Angel Trilogy, Wheel of Time, and Eddings' Belgariad and Malloreon, and the First Law Trilogy.

A little more present-day fantasy would be the Nightwatch series by Sergei Lukyanenko.

I also liked the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher (and I'd be really remiss if I didn't mention the Dresden Files by the same author).

And for a more futuristic Gibson-esque series that I'm in love with is the Avery Cates series.

The Old Kingdom Trilogy by Garth Nix. Im currently on the third book and have really enjoyed what i read. cant go wrong with magic and the undead. The 3 books are:

Sabriel

Lirael

Abhorson

Theres also Across the Wall: A Tale of the Abhorsen and Other Stories. Ive yet to read this I just know it takes place in the same world.

Peter V Brett - Painted Man, The Desert Spear - Excellent Fantasy books from a fledgling writer. Highly reccomended.

George RR Martin - A Song of Fire & Ice series - Fantastic Series with political intrigue and amazingly realistic characters.

David & Leigh Eddings - Belgariad / Mallorean / Tamuli / Elenium - Awesome....

Just picked up the first novel in the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson (via this thread), and I will heartily second the suggestion. Very good writing and an amazingly unique magic system. The characters aren't the most deep I've come across, but you end up liking them all enough that it isn't a hindrance.

I've been reading The Wheel Of Time series by Robert Jordan. I am currently on book eight, and they have been very good. The books are pretty long. (over 500 pages plus hardcover)

Another series I've read was the Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. I was interested in this particular series due to the fact that both authors wrote books for some Dragonlance and Darksword series.

Both series, I think, are well worth the read.

surprised no one said this yet.

The Pendragon series by D.J. Machale. theres like 8 of the books and they were all pretty damn good. the last book came out May 2009.

The Merchant of Death

The Lost City of Faar

The Never War

The Reality Bug

Black Water

The Rivers of Zadaa

The Quillan Games

The Pilgrims of Rayne

Raven Rise

The Soldiers of Halla

oh shit thats 10 books lol. anyways when the series first starts its aimed more towards like 16 and under but as the books get on it gets a lot more adult themed stuff.

Edited by EliteShadowMan

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik is a very interesting read with what I find to be great writing. Interesting characters and a very fun way in which dragons are perceived and used. The books that follow in the series so far haven't been quite up to the first books standards but, I'm hoping that changes.

Also, the Drizzt series by R. A. Salvatore is always a quick easy read that can soak up a slow afternoon and make it more interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Pern Series by Anne McCaffrey

Quite a few books in the series. Starts off a bit techie, but then has a good transition into fantasy. The rest of the series sticks with fantasy and has some really good strong characters.

I second the Drizzt Do'Urden books by R. A. Salvatore, especially the first few.

Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb is good but I had trouble getting into the Liveship Traders after the first book. For an anti-hero, look at her Soldier Son Trilogy, though there is conflict with the main character often, but it still can pull you in.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson. Interesting take on how real life and fantasy can mix and is still a foundational set IMHO. This is another book where you are cussing at the main character at points, but you have to stick it out because you want to know what happens with the other characters in spite of Thomas Covenant.

If you enjoyed LotR then you'll like ... The Silmarillion ...

Now if you like History in your writing, I'll agree with this. I must say though, the best part of the Silmarillion was the map in the back (shamefully, I must admit I still have the one from the library of the town where I used to live). For a collection of short stories, anecdotes and poems, it is very good. If you are expecting a novel (like I was in the 7th grade) you are in for a rude awakening. LOL