Team 2K Viral - Theories / Guesses

TomoyoN

Well today we've played tons of games with tons of different people and I have noticed that for the viral to passed is a very hard thing to do...

False Theory 1 - People need to be ranked

We proved this one false as some people's FIRST games unlocked the viral.

False Theory 2 - Must play 1 game online before you can unlock it on your 2nd+ game.

We proved this one false as some people's FIRST games unlocked the viral.

False Theory 3 - You can only unlock the Viral after the leaderboard reset [sunday/Monday].

Well it's Friday so that is proven false.

False Theory 4 - You can only pass the viral once per week [leaderboard reset]

A couple of us in the party have passed it atleast twice and I have seen Dave pass it 4 times...

False Theory 5 - Fighting / Regular Penalties stop you from getting the achievement.

People have gotten it with fighting / regular penalties

Well what works? Well we don't know the EXACT method but this is what works for us.

Working Theory

Person who needs Viral needs to be the HOST of the match.

Person who needs Viral needs to get FIRST goal of the game AND LAST Goal of the game.

You cannot PULL your goal [but you can control the goal with the BACK button and move them aside]

Person who needs the Viral MUST have puck AT THE END of the game [3rd period].

So if anyone can prove some of these things false just post here...

I only scored one goal quickly in the first to get it off dave so I guess you don't need the goal in the 3rd ( win 1-0 ) and also the person who needs it at the end of the game keep pressing A and exit the game before the person who has the viral and just for some who wont know if your the host you search first and it will say "creating match" and you will be the Detroit Red Wings at home ( red jerseys ), also use default teams Red Wings at home

(host) vs Penguins (away (not the host)/ person with the viral achievement).

False Theory 4 - You can only pass the viral once per week [leaderboard reset]

A couple of us in the party have passed it atleast twice and I have seen Dave pass it 4 times...

Can we also say that a person that just received the achievement is not 100% guaranteed to pass it on either in their first game?

False Theory 5 - Fighting / Regular Penalties stop you from getting the achievement.

People have gotten it with fighting / regular penalties

I gave up an unsuccessful penalty shot to Dave, so I guess we can confirm that those don't matter either.

It's a stretch, but it seems like the servers know that the achievement is being passed around, and it throttles it. No way of knowing for sure though, maybe daily or hourly limits on new "Team 2k" achievement unlockers?

Edited by Semp Pi

We were also throwing around the idea that if any other achievement is to be unlocked during the course of the game (such as PIMs or wins), then the viral cannot be unlocked. Were you guys able to confirm or deny this?

Not true, it gave me the achievement for winning 1 game when I got it off Dave ( it said 2 achievements for 25 GS ), which is weird because I won online games the day before and I didn't get it, I thought it was only a single player achievement but it gave it to me.

Edited by manhunt3

shawge002 helped me 4 times in a row.. ive hosted, scored just once, and never got it.. we also tried letting him win to be ranked in leaderboards and it didnt matter... he did pull goalie however so maybe thats why not? either way, if anybody has it and wants to help me get it, i will have time thursday evening to play for a few hours and try a few different things out to help myself and others unlock it cuz this is the worst achievement ever

Edited by Bangz

• 10 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I just got the achievement and will help get rid of some of those theories.

1) I was ranked 18, the player who had the achieve was not ranked.

2) He was winning 4-0 thru 2 periods of play. I scored 4 goals (including 2 where he pulled the goalie at the end so I could tie it).

3) Game went to OT, he pulled his goalie again and left the puck right at his net which I just tapped in to win the game.

4) Not sure if this matters, but I believe I exited the game before he did and the achievement popped.

5) I was not the host, I was the visiting team.

I have tried to pass it on twice in the same week (got it on a Monday during the day) and tried to pass it on a Tuesday night and Wednesday during the day and both people did not get the achievement.

So no idea how this gets passed on...I'm just glad I finally got that achievement.