FAQ: PC Games, Achievements and System Requirements

The Pants Party

Age of Empires Online & Microsoft Flight are now gone from Steam so if someone wants them I would act fast since GfWLM is the only place that still carries them. They have apparently extended the marketplace closure from this thursday to tomorrow so there's not that much time left. I would at least get those two games above and Tinker since they are free.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+You will use the same subscription and payment plans to play on Live as the normal 360 does. You can buy subscription cards or use the free trial cards. Any time you have paid for on your normal 360 account will carry over to your PC account. They are in essence the same exact account. Just think of it as playing on your tag, just on a different 360, except it is a computer... if that makes sense. If you do not have a Gold account on your 360, the GFWL service is free and gives Gold privileges to every user, even those with Silver memberships. This means you can play online without paying for Live service.The two systems also share Microsoft Points for use in purchasing games. All games on the PC can be bought directly with cash if you want though.

highlighting the part above i want to ask a question about:

so, let's say i want to self-boost the multiplayer achievements of street fighter x tekken using two separate PCs, does this mean i can install the game on both of them using my gold account, run the game on the 2nd PC using a silver/dummy account, and earn achievements with my gold/main account using the first PC?

highlighting the part above i want to ask a question about:

so, let's say i want to self-boost the multiplayer achievements of street fighter x tekken using two separate PCs, does this mean i can install the game on both of them using my gold account, run the game on the 2nd PC using a silver/dummy account, and earn achievements with my gold/main account using the first PC?

As long as the game works on both PCs, yes. I don't see why not.

That's kind of a good idea lol... I have the disc version of SFxT, can I install on 2 PCs? Doesn't it need the disc to work?

As long as the game works on both PCs, yes. I don't see why not.

That's kind of a good idea lol... I have the disc version of SFxT, can I install on 2 PCs? Doesn't it need the disc to work?

I did a bit of double PC boosting for vanilla SFIV on disc. I think I just ejected the disc after the game started, allowing me to run it on both computers.

hmm... that answers it. but say i only downloaded a copy of the game from steam. does it mean other accounts cannot use it except for my main that downloaded it?

• 4 months later...

So with BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger losing GFWL functionality, if I buy a new copy and play it offline without downloading the patch, would I still be able to get achievements?

Because I've done that before with some offline GFWL games. I know the first post says not to go offline, but it's fine for me. Doesn't matter if it fails.

Edited by DarkraiNewmoon

• 10 months later...
hmm... that answers it. but say i only downloaded a copy of the game from steam. does it mean other accounts cannot use it except for my main that downloaded it?
Steam introduced library sharing a while ago.

You'll have to look up a guide on how to do it, I don't remember the options off the top of my head but it's pretty easy.

You probably won't read this but for anyone else that is curious.

Hey, Mitch (I read that as Mitch, don't know if I ever told you that), so say someone bought Fable 2 and its DLC off Steam, which still uses GFWL. They could share their games with me so I could play it? The DLC has been discontinued, and I've put off buying it because I wouldn't be able to finish it.

I'm not familiar with Steam game sharing or how it works with GFWL, but from what I understand the Fable 3 DLC was never actually available through Steam. They sold the keys, but the content was redeemed and downloaded from GFWL. So since it can't download that content then you shouldn't have access to it via sharing.

So with BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger losing GFWL functionality, if I buy a new copy and play it offline without downloading the patch, would I still be able to get achievements?

Because I've done that before with some offline GFWL games. I know the first post says not to go offline, but it's fine for me. Doesn't matter if it fails.

I bought this one on disc off Amazon a few months ago. It never asked me to update, and connected to the GfWL client for achievements just fine. I have to say though this game is batsh1t crazy.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, Mitch (I read that as Mitch, don't know if I ever told you that), so say someone bought Fable 2 and its DLC off Steam, which still uses GFWL. They could share their games with me so I could play it? The DLC has been discontinued, and I've put off buying it because I wouldn't be able to finish it.
http://store.steampowered.com/promotion/familysharing

Who owns and can access the DLC and in-game content associated with a shared title?

A guest will have access to the lender's DLC, but only if the guest doesn't also own the base game. Guests may not purchase DLC for a base game they don't own. Any player may purchase, trade, earn, or otherwise acquire in-game content while playing a game, but in-game items cannot be shared between accounts. These items remain the property of the account that purchased or acquired them, whether borrowing or lending the base game.

Just to summarize for anyone that gets dizzy from too many words; if you don't buy the game and know someone that has the game+DLC then yes they can share it. If you own the game already, you can't use their DLC.

The DLC also has some problems and people that bought it can't redeem their codes, so they just told Lionhead they're gonna pirate the content they paid for in the sticky about the issue on their forums.

http://forum.lionhead.com/yaf_postst2313_Fable-III-Steam-GFWL-Availability.aspx

• 1 month later...
Never played batman arkham asylum on 360. Can I get GFWL achievements???
Yes, GFWL is a different system from the 360 but they share a connection via Xbox Live.

EX: You don't need to play Call of Duty: Ghosts on the 360 to play it on the Xbox One, they're different systems.

One thing to note is that you will need to go out and buy a physical disc copy of the game to get achievements.