FAQ: PC Games, Achievements and System Requirements

The Pants Party

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you already have a LIVE account, you can recover it onto your computer. So you have a GFW-LIVE account too. No extra cost. And, unlike when you recover a LIVE account on your Xbox, you can have your Live account exist on your Vista PC and your 360 at the same time. I believe that when you log one on, the other is signed out, though I'm not sure.

Also, Halo 2 Vista has a RECOMMENDED rating of 5.0. However, the REQUIRED rating is only 3.0. Halo 2 runs fine on my comp (3.2 thanks to crap GeForce 7300 LE graphics), I just have to set Level of Detail to LOW, and set the resolution low to get good framerate.

Also, with GFW-Live, you CAN use a 360 controller, whether by using a wired one or getting the Gaming Receiver. When using the controller, it really feels like your on 360. When not using a controller, the 'HOME' button does the same thing the big X does on the controller. However, unlike any other game you might use it for on your PC, the Guide Button will bring up the Guide in a GFW-LIVE game.

Also, if you plug your headset into your controller, you can use it as a speaker or a microphone on your PC! (It comes up as an additional audio device in Vista. You can use it as a speaker, but you don't have to) In the Settings in the Guide, you can specify which playback and which recording devices shoul be used for voice.

Also, you can use private chat in GFW-Live, including with a user on an Xbox 360! You can also listen to voice messages.

Also, Silver accounts CAN PLAY MULTIPLAYER on GFW-Live. (at least on H2V. Not sure about the upcoming Gears for GFW-Live). However, silver accounts can only unlock offline achievements, not the online ones. Also, silver accounts can't use vocie.

• 4 weeks later...

Pants, mine is:

Processor - 4.7

Memory RAM - 4.5

Graphics - 3.0

Gaming Graphics - 3.0

Primary Hard disc - 5.9

BASE SCORE - 3.0

Ok sounds crap but i cant afford to upgrade but the main game i want is shadowrun will it work? Also Viva Pinata.

Cheers dude, also feel free to post in my thread any tips you got for me its called: PC games and achievements, hows it work?

#1. For games that can be played on XP as well, (everything but Shadowrun and Halo 2), can you always get achievements on them when playing in XP?

#2. Please explain the double points thing/different lists thing more clearly.

#3. I think you should still add Shadowrun to the PC catergory on the main site, even if its just a note or disclaimer with link explaining that it's a shared list with the 360 copy. As it stands, it suggests there aren't any achievements for the game, or your website is outdated.

#4. Why isnt Universe at War in the PC catergory on the main site? It has achievements, right? It's not out for 360 either.

1. Yes, all games but SR/H2 can get achievements on XP.

2. You can play those games on your 360 and get 1000 points. Then you can play them on the PC and get another 1000 points. Check my card for instance, Viva Pinata is on there twice, once for the 360 version and once for the PC version.

3. If the game has the same list for the PC and 360, it can only be listed under one category or it will show as a separate checklist under the My360Achievements function. Then people will be confused and think they can get double points like the other games, when that is not true. Routine is looking for a way to do this, but it doesn't appear to be an option. Default is under the 360 (or "Retail") section, so that is where you will find those lists.

4. For UaW, the PC version is out but the 360 version won't be out until March or later. It is much like Shadowrun in that it has cross-platform play and achievements and only one list (meaning only 1000 possible, not 2000 like the other games). The reason it is not listed under the PC section is the same reason Shadowrun isn't, because of the My360Achievements function.

Hope that clears things up a bit for you. :)

It does, thank you.

-So with [email protected]; it's just because you guys already knew that it was coming out for 360? Otherwise it'd already be up there in the PC section?

-I assume "Routine" is the handle of someone who does some coding for the site?

I wasn't aware of the my360achievements thing the site has set up - but I stand by my suggestion that still putting the games in the PC Catergory even by name only and with a note explaining the list is shared with 360 (And a link to the game on the retail 360 page) would make a lot of sense.

Otherwise a user has to do research like I did to understand all of it.

Especially with [email protected] where the PC game is out months before the 360 version, it not being there implies the game simply has no achievements.

:Bounce:

Pants can i play halo 2 and shadowrun? i hope so i just brought shadowrun!!! I dont care about the graphics just as long as it runs with no glitches. Heres my spec:-

Pants, mine is:

Processor - 4.7

Memory RAM - 4.5

Graphics - 3.0

Gaming Graphics - 3.0

Primary Hard disc - 5.9

BASE SCORE - 3.0

Also is this a good enough graphics card to run games a little better?

NVIDIA GEFORCE 256 - 32MB AGP GRAPHICS CARD

If not what would be a good/cheap one to get? Im from UK by the way.

Cheers

Pants can i play halo 2 and shadowrun? i hope so i just brought shadowrun!!! I dont care about the graphics just as long as it runs with no glitches. Heres my spec:-

Pants, mine is:

Processor - 4.7

Memory RAM - 4.5

Graphics - 3.0

Gaming Graphics - 3.0

Primary Hard disc - 5.9

BASE SCORE - 3.0

Also is this a good enough graphics card to run games a little better?

NVIDIA GEFORCE 256 - 32MB AGP GRAPHICS CARD

If not what would be a good/cheap one to get? Im from UK by the way.

Cheers

Wow, is that the video card you have now or one you're planning an upgrade to?

That's a Geforce 1 card! No offense but that's something like 8 years old! Geforce 9 cards are coming out next month and a new line comes out every year.

If you're stuck on AGP you should be looking for a 7950 GT or ATI X1950 Pro

Wow, is that the video card you have now or one you're planning an upgrade to?

That's a Geforce 1 card! No offense but that's something like 8 years old! Geforce 9 cards are coming out next month and a new line comes out every year.

If you're stuck on AGP you should be looking for a 7950 GT or ATI X1950 Pro

No offence taken mate, i have no idea about computers and that card was cheap so i want a really cheap one dont care how old as long as it works.

Also what is APG?

EDIT: I looked at the ones u put and there way too expenesive for me, i buy too many 360 games to afford those. Also i dont even know how to install it. Lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

""*" -- Denotes a game that has a different list from the 360 version, meaning you can get 1K from the 360 version and a separate 1K from the PC version, for a total of 2K from the same game. This does mean you'll have to do the game twice, though."

does this mean that for Viva Pinata , you can get 1k twice for as total of 2k. But in shadowrun you can only get the 1k once ? So if i have Shadowrun and got achievements from it already and then i play it for the cpu i wouldnt be able to get achievements ?

Ruthless:

AGP is a "slot" in your motherboard. Graphics cards, Sound Cards, Basically anything that "pokes out of the back of your PC at the bottom" used to run off AGP. Now you have AGP, PCI, and PCI-E. (In order of age)

If you don't know which kind of slot you have, you need to find out before even considering which card. A PCI card wont work in an AGP slot.

If you are using AGP, unfortunately you wont find a decent card cheap. However, if you're running PCI-E, I may have something in a box somewhere i can throw your way. So i'd have a look at your Motherboard manual which will tell you.

• 2 weeks later...

im a lil confused, do i have to do something extra, like make an extra account somewhere (i alrdy have a yearly xbox live account). basically if i pop in one of those games that works w/ xbox will it be ready to go aside from, i dunno, putting in my gamertag/info? sorry if this doesnt make sense, but i dont know what im talking about...

No, you're fine with your normal Live account. When you put in a game, it asks for your Windows Live ID and password, then downloads your tag. Everything goes on the same Gamertag you use for the 360.

ah, ok thx, thats good cause universe at war is looking good and only like rts on the pc