Explosive Rifle Challenge Guide

Zanmato88

This is the single player explosive rifle guide challenge, these are the methods I used, and also the methods Scarabdemon used where relevant. This unlocks the Master Exploder Achievement.

Explosive Rifle Level 1

You get this by just buying the rifle, it can be purchased in Blackwater for $5000. I would also recommend buying all the ammo for this gun as you will need quite a few bullets.

Explosive Rifle Level 2

Kill 5 enemies while they are taking cover.

This is best done at one of the hideout, I did it and Twin Rocks, while Scarabdemon did it at Fort Mercer. If someone is taking cover behind an object shoot the object and it normal kills them.

Explosive Rifle Level 3

Kill 3 enemies in one shot.

The best way to do this is to hogtie 3 people together (Thanks Mike360). This is easily done at a hideout(I did it at Twin Rocks and Scarabdemon did it at Tumbleweed). This comes down to personal preference. Another method would be to kill the enemies who hide behind the wagon on the random event with a woman asking for help they normally cluster quite close together. It also looks like you can kill prostitutes for this challenge (Thanks Machine Zed). Although townsfolk seems to not work (Thanks OneSweetShannon)

Here is an alternative method which I have tested but seems a lot easier.

"In the saloon in Armadillo, there are usually a number of Bollard Gang goons hanging around. I walked in and there were three at one table (2 sitting, one right near them). All I had to do was draw the explosive rifle and point at one of them, so they all drew guns which makes them enemies. One shot right to the center of the table they were around killed all 3, challenge marked as complete. And I only got a $15 bounty for vandalism and arson - nobody else died." Thanks to JKSullivan

Explosive Rifle Level 4

Kill 2 wild animals.

I got quite lucky and had a random event where 4 wolves where attacking someone and waited for them to start attacking him and hit one with a shot. This triggered south of McFarlane's Ranch but this are completely random. Scarabdemon killed two deer in one shot, this can semi be herded together and would make quite an easy shot. A third method would be to take out a pack of wolves as they can cluster quite close together.

Alternative Method (Thanks FarmerJay)

"I would also suggest using bait. I found it super easy to just put bait down and walk away. I actually got 4 at once."

Alternative Method (Thanks Fizzmatix)

"Clear a hideout, then wait outside for the vultures. If you watch the pattern they fly in you can get ready to line up a shot, then just use deadeye to slow down time and blow two of them up when they are in line."

Explosive Rifle Level 5

Kill an enemy while wearing the US Army Outfit.

Go change your outfit to the US Army Outfit and kill any enemy, if you are struggling to find on just pop to the closest hideout to your location and you will soon get an enemy to kill.

*Note*: The achievement didn't ding when I used deadeye but when I got a normal kill.

If you have any additional strategies just post them below and I will add them and give them credit. :)

Edited by Zanmato88

Explosive Rifle Level 4

Kill 2 wild animals.

I got quite lucky and had a random event where 4 wolves where attacking someone and waited for them to start attacking him and hit one with a shot. This triggered south of McFarlane's Ranch but this are completely random. Scarabdemon killed two deer in one shot, this can semi be herded together and would make quite an easy shot. A third method would be to take out a pack of wolves as they can cluster quite close together.

I would also suggest using bait. I found it super easy to just put bait down and walk away. I actually got 4 at once.

Also, for some reason for me on the level 5 challenge, I killed several enemies in a hideout with the rifle and didn't get the achievement. I then used dead eye and got it on the first try. So I don't know what the deal is with that.

Edited by FarmerJay

I managed to get all 4 challenges done at Fort Mercer (make sure your wearing US Army suit before entering Fort Mercer). 1st challenge is to purchase gun.

Level 2: kill all the enemies on the upper level of the fort before even entering, they are all in cover.

Level 3: once inside, open the door for the gunslinger and 3 enemies will rush out from where the treasure chests are. Boom blow them up

Level 4. After you complete fort mercer there will be vultures flying overhead, use red dead and kill 2 of them.

Level 5. Pull your gun on a citizen in fort mercer, have him pull his gun, shoot you once then proceed to blow him up.

Voila.... Master Exploder achievement in all of 10 minutes or less.

I had my bandana on when I got it, guess this might be a little glitchy. Sounds quite strange tho :S

It would depend on who you are tying up. If you are tying up criminals already, you shouldn't wear a bandanna. If you go after townspeople, prostitutes you should wear the bandanna, because they are not enemies.

It would depend on who you are tying up. If you are tying up criminals already, you shouldn't wear a bandanna. If you go after townspeople, prostitutes you should wear the bandanna, because they are not enemies.

I believe you have to kill enemies, and townspeople/prostitutes don't count as enemies. I would be grateful if some one can confirm whether it works on townspeople because if it does I will add it to the guide, I did it at a hideout but as I have full honor and fame I just wear the bandana for coolness :p