Received the game Early!!!

JPX Brutality

So, gamestop.com made another mistake and sent me Free Riders early. I received it today and noticed there are not any achievements. I'm going to pop it in and get the list and hopefully post them in the next 2 hours(if it will actually read a kinect game without the sensor).

EDIT: So turns out the games can not be played till the official Kinect update releases. I can no longer sign into xbox live without that update and it hasn't been released so I am suck offline. So if you also get this early don't put it in.

Edited by JPX Brutality

"Extreme gear are available in two basic types (board and bike), offering riders a total of 20 gear to choose from, if you unlock and/or purchase them all at Omochao's Shop. Each Gear has its own characteristics and enhancements, so finding the perfect match for you and your character adds another dimension to the race"

That is the exact quote so to mean it seems like you will be able to choose your board/bike from an option of 10 bikes and 10 boards. So yes he can ride a bike. The motions for the bike are fairly interesting as well. You have to act like you are holding handle bars and tilt them left or right to steer. The graphics are quite hilarious.

Sucks you're stuck offline :(

Would you be able to scan the manual at all? If not, does it name any characters and tracks and how many there are of each? Does it say anything about Story/World Grand Prix mode? Oh, and does it list any of the game's voice actors in any credits page the manual might have?

Thanks for the info on the Gears.

EDIT:

Also, about the Omochao shop you mentioned. Does it say whether you have to buy new characters and tracks from there or do you unlock them?

Will appreciate any answers you can give :)

Edited by Shadz01

I don't have a scanner but I can answer some of your questions.

The characters it names are:

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles

Jet, Wave, Storm

Amy, Eggman, Shadow

Of course these are in the game it also mentions there are 4 teams so there are at least 3 characters unmentioned in the manual. Now from deduction I can assume Shadow is not on a team with Amy and Eggman but instead probably with Rouge and one of the E series Robots. Amy is probably on a team with Cream, Big. I also saw somewhere that Blaze and Silver were playable as well so maybe after the game is beaten a 5th team unlocks.

The story is very vague here's the quote:

"If you consider yourself the fastest Extreme Gear rider, why not enter the World Grand Prix and prove it? Riders who enter the Grand Prix will tour around the globe to compete on various courses designed solely for this extreme racing event. The season opener will kick start on a brand new course on Dolphin Resort, so don't miss your chance to become the undisputed champion of the world. See you all at the starting line with your Board Gear!"

That is also the only mention of a specific track.

The shop section says this:

"Access the shop from the Main Menu to purchase additional Extreme Gear and parts with accumulated Rings. Select an item from the list to display details and parameters, then drag the item onto the Cashier panel at the bottom right to purchase"

Doesn't say anything more specific.

To help guide more questions the Contents is broken down like this:

Getting Started(setup)

Basic Controls( navigating menus and playing)

Character Profiles(Bio's of the previously mentioned characters)

Game Display(what the screen looks like)

Racing Tips(weapons, rails, air strips, boost rings)

Extreme gear( possible extreme gear tokens)

Race Modes(Story, Tag, Relay Races)

Thanks for all of that. Really appreciate it :)

Air strips? Not seen that mentioned anywhere before. What does it say about that? I'm wondering if that means turbulence from the first game is back in some form.

We saw the 4 teams and a lot of characters revealed in Gamespot's demonstration.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlcArvA644E&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Sonic Free Riders GameSpot Daily Demo #1[/ame]

I was curious to see if the manual mentioned any others, though I guessed they might not talk about unlockable characters in the manual.

Thanks again.

Edited by Shadz01

yep.

Sonic the Hedgehog

"Sonic is a hero who loves to live free and does not tolerate any devious deeds. He can be short tempered at times, but is always there for those who are in trouble. He usually travels at supersonic speed on foot, but with his new and advanced Gear, he'll be cruising even faster in style at the Grand Prix with his teammates Tails and Knuckles."

Miles "Tails" Prower

"A kid fox with two tails- hence his nickname "Tails." He loves tinkering with machinery, and has developed various devices to support Sonic's adventures in the past. All of Team Heroes' Extreme Gear are built and customized by this brilliant engineer."

Knuckles the Echidna

"Knuckles is the defender of the giant Master Emerald on the floating island in the sky known as Angel Island. To bring toughness to the track, his Extreme Gear is built to enhance his physical abilities."

Jet the Hawk

"Jet is the captain of a treasure hunting team known as Babylon Rogues. He is considered the most technically gifted Extreme Gear rider with the ability to accurately read the wind streams. He holds high standards and considers Sonic as an ultimate rival since he is the fastest on land. As a team leader, Jet also dislikes showing any sign of weakness to anyone."

Wave the Swallow

"Wave is the only gal on the Babylon Rogues, who also happens to be their top mechanic. Being a super achiever, she's in charge of upgrading all of the Extreme Gear and their airship and even analyzes unknown treasures in her spare time. Although she is older than jet, she faithfully respects and follows him as her leader."

Storm the Albatross

"Storm is the heavyweight rider of the Babylon Rogues. As his frame indicates, he has enough strength to crush a boulder with little effort. He is scorned by Jet for many of the things he lacks but he is happy to defer to Jet's leadership and to be his right-hand man."

Amy Rose

"Amy is always hot on Sonic's heels as his self-professed girlfriend. With a spark of energy and her trademark item- the Piko Piko hammer, she is ready to track down the blue blur wherever he goes. Hoping Sonic will be racing at the Grand Prix once again, she decides to join the event."

Dr. Eggman

"An evil scientific genius who is always coming to blows with Sonic and his friends, since he is always scheming for world domination. The question is how this mad scientist will attempt to crash the party this time around."

Shadow the Hedgehog

"This dark hedgehog boasts running speeds to rival Sonic's. Though uninterested in the Grand Prix itself, he is eager to test his riding skills and would like to beat Sonic."

Thanks so much for typing all of that up. :)

What does it say about the Tag and Relay modes? Does it say anything about the online multiplayer? Oh, and what are the offline and online specs/features listed on the back of the box? I'm curious to see if it lists "game-content download".

EDIT:

Does the manual have a credits page? I'm wondering if it maybe mentions the new voice actors. Currently we know of Roger Craig Smith as Sonic, Kate Higgins as Tails and Mike Pollock staying on as Dr.Eggman. Also, are SEGA advertising any new games on the back cover of the manual? They normally do.

Thanks again for all of this.

Edited by Shadz01

The specs on the back are:

offline: players 1-2, co-op 2-4 then the usual how much space needed blah blah stuff

online: multiplayer 2-8, leaderboards, voice. No content download listed.

Then kinect games have purple specs: KINECT sensor required, voice enabled, players 1-2, co-op 2-4, in-game avatar, activity level: standing/active

Tag mode is really cool. Its the games version of co-op. You work as a team to win the race and you can combine riders by facing eachother and locking hands. This brings the screen to just one instead of split and you share rings, air, and have increased speed and jump capabilities. Very cool looking. So far this game looks like one of the best actual co-op games for Kinect. You actually interact with eachother instead of just standing in the same screen.

Relay race is also really cool. 2 players race one lap with the other two waiting outside of view and once you get back the the start line your player enters the pit and you trade spots. While in the pit you can pump your arms up and down to collect air to use. This can be done 2 vs 2 or you can can do 4 vs cpu.

For Xbox live you can race online against up to 7 other players. Modes include Quick Match: Quickly search and enter available online races. Custom Match: Use search filters to find online races you wish to enter. Create Match: Create a race and invite other Xbox LIVE players. Xbox LIVE party: Set up an online part to easily connect with up to eight players.

Unfortunately there is no credits page and the game advertised on the back is Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing

Sorry I'm getting to this late I was at work all day.

The extreme gear are:

Max Speed Up-increases top speed

Start Speed Up- boost to quickly reach top speed

Air Saver-lowers rate of air consumption

Rapid Stream-increases top speed of slipstream(drafting)

Extra Air-increase capacity of air tank

Grind Skill-special skill to perform grinds

Power Skill-special skill to destroy obstacles(on on bikes so bikes only get one choice of another skill)

Ring Eater-attract rings on the track

Item Lock(Air)-receive air as mystery item

Music Change 1-set music to High Flying Groove

Cornering Up-superior steering on turns

Power Up- ride through rougher terrains

Trick Boost-powerful boost after tricks

Rapid Dash-increase boost speed for kick dash

Air plus-increase air bonus for tricks

Air Ride Skill-special skill to perform Air Rides(the dash rings in the air from previous games)

Big Air-leap higher during air tricks

Invisible-avoid attacks from your enemies

Item Lock(Rings)-receive rings as mystery item

Music Change 2-set music to Un-Gravity

The racing tips talk about

1. Extreme Gear Air System

" Extreme Gear is powered by Air stored in the Gear's Tank. At regular speed, Air is consumed minimally, but when you perform a Kick Dash to gain speed, Air will be consumed at a higher rate. The Air replenishes by performing Trick Actions off Kickers, picking up Air Items (in Item Boxes) and taking advantage of special skills.

2. Improve Performance by Collecting Rings

" The performance level of Extreme Gear can be raised up to Level 3 during a race by collecting Rings that are placed on the track. For typical Gear, a total of 30, and then 60 Rings will boost your performance to a higher Level. Note that if you receive damage or fall off of the course, the Gear's performance level will reset to Level 1 as you lose all of the Rings.

Riders can expect to gain a performance boost in the following areas:

1. Optimize character's overall skills.

2. Increase Air Tank capacity.

3. Improve Kick Dash (Air Boost), which requires more Air.

3. Slipstreams

" Traveling on an Extreme Gear at high speeds will leave Slipstreams (trail of wind current) behind in which other riders can use to travel faster. If the rider traveling ahead is within range, positioning yourself in his/her wake will allow you to catch up and overtake."

4. Use special Skills to Access Express Lanes

" By activating either the Grind, Air Ride, or Power Skill Gear Parts, or using the Extreme Gear's special skill, you'll have a chance to access one of the three types of express lanes. If you are relying on Gear Parts to access these lanes, make sure you are riding the Gear in the correct stance (Regular or Goofy),' to elaborate each gear has two slots and the active gear depends one which way you face to the right(regular) or to the left(goofy), now back the the manual, 'so the skill you wish to use is activated."

5. Leaning Forward

" Whenever you are running on a straight path, try to gain as much speed as possible by learning forward (towards the game screen)." Yes the manual says learning there guess its a typo.

Thanks a lot and don't worry about it being late. You've got to earn a living and you've been awesome to type all of this up for. Really appreciate it :D

I think that's everything in the manual covered now, unless there's any other interesting tidbits anywhere in there.

Thanks again for all of that. :) You're awesome! :bow:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have just got the VG, but there are a few things that I want to know/confirm (with those who also have the VG & more than likely played more therefore have greater knowledge).

1) On a board you can equip 2 gears, 1 in standard stance & another in goofy. My question is if you equip Extra Air as your secondary gear, do you HAVE to perform that particular stance to make it effective (cuz it seems very picky just to have extra space in your air tank that you HAVE to ride alternatively)

2) Is Expert (on the race track) just mean it's the same as Standard (looks identicle), but the COM is more harder, or is the track different (therefore it's more difficult)?

3) I've heard discussion where gamers that completed the Grand Prix, but still unable to unlock Silver Hedgehog & Blaze the Cat, is that true in anyways, if so how exactly do you unlock 'em?

Ok, I have just got the VG, but there are a few things that I want to know/confirm (with those who also have the VG & more than likely played more therefore have greater knowledge).

1) On a board you can equip 2 gears, 1 in standard stance & another in goofy. My question is if you equip Extra Air as your secondary gear, do you HAVE to perform that particular stance to make it effective (cuz it seems very picky just to have extra space in your air tank that you HAVE to ride alternatively)

2) Is Expert (on the race track) just mean it's the same as Standard (looks identicle), but the COM is more harder, or is the track different (therefore it's more difficult)?

3) I've heard discussion where gamers that completed the Grand Prix, but still unable to unlock Silver Hedgehog & Blaze the Cat, is that true in anyways, if so how exactly do you unlock 'em?

Guess I should answer these questions.

1: For any part you equip, it only has an effect if you are in the proper stance. The inactive part does nothing until activates. This doesn't apply to bikes though, both of their skills are permanantly active.

2: The "Expert" courses are just harder versions of the "Standard" courses. Sometimes the differences are very subtle, other times the course can look totally different. It has no affect on computer AI.

3: You should unlock Silver and Blaze by finishing the story for Team Heroes, Team Babylon, Team Dark and Team Rose. You'll have Blaze and Silver before you actually finish the entire World Grand Prix.