Plug buzzing - Normal?

TakahashiDemon

I just recently discovered a buzzing sound coming from the Kinect plug (plug that goes into wall), its very low sound, can only be heard when right next to it, I discovered it when I was turning on plug tonight and when I turned it off one other night, I also tried plugging into different sockets to see if that made a difference, but it didn't.

I want to know if this is a normal thing with the plug, so I can play Kinect without worrying about anything blowing up.

I don't have Kinect yet (comes out tomorrow here), but I've had electrical equipment do that in the past. For example one of my external HDD power adaptors made a slight buzzing noise that you could only hear when it was deathly quiet. Never had a problem with it though. My second monitor also makes the noise when it's in standby mode (so I turn it off completely when not using it). Again, no problems.

If you're really worried a quick google has some suggestions on how to fix it (link).

Is there any heat? If it's 'hot' (as opposed to 'warm' which is normal for a lot of power adaptors), then it might be worth contacting MS...

Edited by Mr Wafu

I don't have Kinect yet (comes out tomorrow here), but I've had electrical equipment do that in the past. For example one of my external HDD power adaptors made a slight buzzing noise that you could only hear when it was deathly quiet. Never had a problem with it though. My second monitor also makes the noise when it's in standby mode (so I turn it off completely when not using it). Again, no problems.

If you're really worried a quick google has some suggestions on how to fix it (link).

Is there any heat? If it's 'hot' (as opposed to 'warm' which is normal for a lot of power adaptors), then it might be worth contacting MS...

I would prefer not to go into any technical stuff myself, I paid for GAME protection cover so they might be able to give me a free adapter replacement hopefully..

I'll play it later and let you know if it heats up.. Kinect heats up itself, I'll probably see if the plug is hot.. I should know anyways though as everytime I quit using Kinect, I normally unplug it.

I just played Kinect again there for maybe a hour, plug was warm, but normal really it wasn't like I could only hold it for a second and have to put it away again, anyways I found out it doesn't buzz at all when Xbox is on.. well at least I can't notice it when its on, even if an inch away, so I guess the buzzing problem is only occurs when xbox is off.. I'm still gonna probably ask GAME about the buzzing to see if its a normal thing.. hopefully someone in there would know.

Ok, tried out my Kinect, both with the 360 on and off.

Had my ear right next to the plug, never got a buzzing noise.

Not really sure what's happening for yours.

Sorry I couldn't help.

I'm for asking GAME about it today.. it could be something to do with UK adapters, I was playing it last night, while Xbox was on, couldn't hear any buzzing, but when off I could.. it could be the case that the Xbox drowns out the sound, but I couldn't hear anything coming from it.