Costume Quest: Grubbins On Ice!

Guide is a Work In Progress.

[Above picture in revision for a more suitable one]

!!!!WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!!

- Estimated achievement difficulty: 2/10

- Approximate time: 1 - 2 hours

- Offline: 50

- Online: 0

- Non-Storyline Achievements: 3 - Jeepers Peepers, Short Stack, Revolutionary Hero

- Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1

- Glitched achievements: None.

Again, make sure you hit everything that you can to get candy, including the snowmen, balloons, green worms, plants, mushrooms, bones, skull mailboxes, etc. This isn't a necessity like the original, as you dont need the battle stamps, but they come in handy later on.

Achievement Unlock Order:

1 - Jeepers Peepers

2 - Short Stack

3 - Playing Hooky

4 - Revolutionary Hero

5 - Birdbrain Beatdown

Story Achievements

http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/+i/Qn/1oCLiGJhbC9BCxoIG1lTIDc5L2FjaC8wLzE1AAAAAOfn5-kIJOY=.jpg

Birdbrain Beatdown - 15:gsicon:

Defeat Araxia in battle.

To defeat Araxia you need to enter the final Monster Gate, where a cutscene will ensue, you will fight him alongside Big Bone, they both have 4000 Hp, dont worry though, you only have to hurt Araxia.

Afer dealing roughly 1000 damage, Araxia will jump into the air, you need to attack him 3 times, so that you force him into Big Bones, This will knock big bones down again, stopping his attacks against you, which hurt ALOT. Rinse and repeat. This boss fight is rather tough, unless you are either lucky, or have the correct set-up.

Reynold - Robot - Skeleton of the Wolf, Keep reynold as the main damage dealer, doing 400 - 500 per hit.

Everett - Yeti - Either Disembodied Six-Fingered Hand, or Galvanized Mummy Gauze, as you want to keep Everett alive so that he can protect the team with is Yetis' Abominable Armor, You need to use this when Big Bones is upright and glowing (Pre-attack phase), the only exception is if you have the chance to knock Araxia into him, do that instead.

Wren - Unicorn - Headless Vampire Bat - Wren is your healer for this, just use My Pretty Panacea on a member of the party who will die from getting hit, or, either dead or incredibly injured after being attacked.

http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/kD/dl/0oCLiGJhbC9HCxoIG1lTIDc5L2FjaC8wLzEzAAAAAOfn5-1KN4w=.jpg

Playin' Hooky - 5:gsicon:

Use the Pirate hook on 5 unique ziplines.

Just follow my guide later on in this Achievement Guide, i believe this is technically unmissable, as 5 of the grapple hook lines are required for the story line.

Rope Grapple Hook Places

In Order to use Grapple Hook Ropes, you need the Pirate Costume before you can use them, For information on how to obtain the costume, scroll down.

1 - The first grapple hook location is just before the first bridge that you can cross over, you need to head southwards from said bridge, walk off what seems to be a waterfall and follow the wooden planks down till you get to it.

2 - The second is just northwards, but in the same area, as to where you find the chest that has the Eyepatch material in.

3 - Third grapple is found at the top of the scaffolding type area, next to the monster gate in the east of the town (This grapple is required to carry on the game).

4 - This one is a required grapple, you need to gain entrance to a tomb for the Trowbog elder.

5 - Another mandatory grapple, you need to be on the way to find the yeti, through the first cave.

Extra Grapple Locations

6 - After getting to the snowy ledge, before heading into the yeti cave, you can head east, up some wooden planks. It heads back down to the gate.

7 - Mandatory grapple point, you need to do this to carry on the game. It is located up the slope after opening the final gate.

Edited by aXah121

Non-Storyline Achievements

All of these are missable in a sense, but do not fret, even after beating the game, you can simply load up your save and backtrack to go get them.

http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/A8/+F/04CLiGJhbC9GCxoIG1lTIDc5L2FjaC8wLzEyAAAAAOfn5-yqzx8=.jpg

Jeepers Peepers - 5:gsicon:

Acquire the Eyeball costume.

For this you need to find all the materials required, along with the pattern. Details below:

Eyeball Costume - This pattern is found within the chest that is in the maze type area, opposite the 'Secret Cave'

Materials -

-Track Suit - Found in a cave, south of the first bridge in the game, you have to jump down and follow a series of planks to get to it.

-Wire Mesh - Found within the cave that you need to use the grapple hook to get to (The line is just before the cave where the Track Suit material is found).

-Crepe Paper - Found after the first bridge, just follow the southern fence until you reach a gap, just drop down and its in the chest on the same platfrom.

http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/Ty/0G/1ICLiGJhbC9CCxoIG1lTIDc5L2FjaC8wLzE2AAAAAOfn5-spLVM=.jpg

Short Stack - 10:gsicon:

Find the mysterious visitor in the cliffs of Repugia.

To get to Short Stack, you need to drop off a Cliff, this cliff is found south of the Trowbog Elder. Go over the first ramp, then the second but before the third (Everrett will comment on a satellite view of repugia), there is a cactus style plant on the right, you simple need to walk between the two plants and off the cliff and then enter the cave at the bottom of the drop, the achievement will pop after that.

(The Elder in question is the second Elder, the TROWBOG, not the GRUBBIN Elder (He asks you to explore the Trowbog national monument cave))

http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/ad/zH/14CLiGJhbC9ACxoIG1lTIDc5L2FjaC8wLzE0AAAAAOfn5-jo3HU=.jpg

Revolutionary Hero - 15:gsicon:

Complete all quests in Repugia.

You need to complete all the listed quests AND defeat Araxia in the final fight. A list of all quest is below.

Quest List and Mini-guide

1 - Viva Repugia! - Gained by walking past the Grubbin behind the 'Revolution' Stall - Visit 20 Houses

2 - Hook, Line & Freethinker - You gain this quest by talking to the grubbin leader, who is in the 'Secret Cave' just east of where you are pushed off the cliff. - Talk to the grubbins in town to find the 3 materials.

3 - Grubbin Lovin' - Given to you by the grubbin guard, near the Monster gate, on the east side of town - Talk to the elder (Who is just north of the bridge) about getting through the gate. Then go rescue his ladyfriend who is in the hotel, to get to her, you need to use the zip line that is next to the gate that you got this quest originally.

To get her to follow you, you need to use the Fries Costume from the original game.

4 - Tome of the Trowbogs - This mission is to get the next gate open, The tomb is found west, right next to the gate.

5 - The Case of the Missing Yeti - This is to open the third gate (Crestwailers gate) you need to find out where the yeti has gone. You will eventually run into a crestwailer, who will give you the costume for the Yeti, you need to simply exit the cave, head south a little so you are at the ledge and it will show a little cutscene, after that, return to the leader, who is eastwards.

6 - Save The Escapees - You can gain this quest by talking to any of the hiding kids, use my guide for help on their locations. The earliest kid is just south of the first bridge, within the maze area. 6 kids to find in total.

7 - Bobbing for Eyeballs - Beat the 3 tiers of the Bobbing for Eyeballs minigame.

8 - This Card is Ultra Rare - Gain an extra Cuttin Candy Creepy Treat Card. I found a spare for the quest within the house east of the quest giver, with the blue and white balloons outside.

9 - Repugia Collect 'em All - Gain an extra card, (I already had the card so i don't know what is required, sorry.)

Edited by aXah121

Miscellaneous Information

Costume List

Pirate Costume - Gained off the Leader Grubbin, who is in the, easily found, Secret Cave.

Materials -

-Newspaper - Found in the chest that is over the ramp east of the Hotel.

-Plastic Hook - Just northwards of the Eyepatch, the grubbin by the ramp will give it to you.

-Eyepatch - Found in the chest, over the ramp that you need to talk to the grubbin to get to, southward of the bridge you cross to enter the town.

Eyeball Costume - This pattern is found within the chest that is in the maze type area, opposite the 'Secret Cave'

Materials -

-Track Suit - Found in a cave, south of the first bridge in the game, you have to jump down and follow a series of planks to get to it.

-Wire Mesh - Found within the cave that you need to use the grapple hook to get to (The line is just before the cave where the Track Suit material is found).

-Crepe Paper - Found after the first bridge, just follow the southern fence until you reach a gap, just drop down and its in the chest on the same platfrom.

Yeti Costume - You are given this by a crestwailer, it is required for the mission 'The Case of the Missing Yeti'

Materials -

-None

Creepy Treat Card List

There are 18 new cards to collect within this DLC

1 - Nutty Dumdums - Off the first house within the town, next to the Pogoda where the eldest Grubbin is.

2 - Strawberry Smackdown - Found in the southern most house, just east of the Grubbin who is guarding the first ramp.

3 - Cuttin' Candy - Found in the first house which is southward from the bridge. (I found a spare for the quest within the house east of the quest giver, with the blue and white balloons outside)

4 - Cake Cod - Dropped by a Patrolling Grubbin, who is near the statue in the town.

5 - Diatetic Marzipan - Found off a Repugian Guard, who is in a house, northeast of the Trowbog who wants the Cuttin Candy Card

6 - Fancy Dollups - Defeat the Repugian Guard who is next to the second Monster Gate.

7 - Bubble Onions - Repugian Guard who is the house, south of the Trowbog Elder.

8 - Glazed Butter Cubes - Complete the quest 'Repugia Collect 'em All'

9 - Wikkids - Defeat the repugian guard inside the house, just west of the Crestwailer Leader.

10 - Dreamy Dipz - Defeat a patrolling guard in the area filled with Crestwailers (Crow people).

11 - Rainbow Whipz - I got this after defeating a guard, who was just above the grubbin who wants the Cuttin' Candy Card.

12 - Klorks - Found in the last house you have to visit (20 out of 20) defeat the Repugian Guards inside.

13 - Caramold - Gained off a Repugian Guard, just up the ramp, after opening the third gate.

14 - Sweet Wet Wheat - Defeat the Repugian Guard that is inside the house just east of the 'Repugia Collect 'em All' quest giver.

15 - Maple Crusties - Dropped by a patrolling Grubbin, who is near the statue in the town.

16 - 2-Headed Toddlers - Found in the first house which is southward from the bridge. (Found with Cuttin' Candy)

17 - Red Hot Foam - Complete the Spare Cuttin' Candy Card quest. this is your reward.

18 - Wiggly Woozers - Complete the 3rd tier of the Bobbing for Eyeballs minigame, in the Crestwailer area (After the second gate has been opened)

Battle Stamps

In total there are 8 new battle stamps to collect

1 - Rotten Pumpkin Guts - Bought off of Shady, the Battle Stamp Grubbin for 650 Candy (Return to him after gaining the pirate costume)

2 - Skeleton of the Wolf - Bought off of Shady, the Battle Stamp Grubbin for 700 Candy (Return to him after talking to the Trowbog about the Heritage site, he is guarding a wooden ramp area)

3 - Multi-Winged Vampire Bat - Given to you by the same guy who you need to complete the 'Repugia Collect 'em All'

4 - Headless Vampire Bat - Bought off Shady, after talking to the crestwailer leader, costs 800 candy.

5 - Deviled Egg - Bought off of Shady, the Battle Stamp Grubbin for 600 Candy

6 - Black Rose - Bought off of Shady, the Battle Stamp Grubbin for 650 Candy (Return to him after gaining the pirate costume)

7 - Galvanized Mummy Gauze - Bought off of Shady, the Battle Stamp Grubbin for 675 Candy (Return to him after talking to the Trowbog about the Heritage site, he is guarding a wooden ramp area)

8 - Mummy Gauze - Bought off of Shady, the Battle Stamp Grubbin for 600 Candy

Hidden Kid Locations

1 - Truman - Found just south of the first bridge, within the little maze type fenced area. Hiding behind some plants.

2 - Shawn - Found east of the Statue of Araxia in the town, he is hiding behind some scaffolding type tower.

3 - Raha - South of the Trowbog who wants the Cuttin' Candy Card.

4 - Kat - Found in the eastern most part of the 3rd area, having opened the second gate.

5 - Teddy - Found in the cave on the way to find the Yeti.

6 - Maximus - Just south of the Repugian Guard who gives you the quest 'Repugia Collect 'em All'

Trowbog Cave of Confusion Guide:

Within the cave you are required to use both the Knight and Space Suit special out of combat abilities, for protection against falling objects and for lighting up the darkness, respectively.

1 - Follow the candy cone direction (East), then head north which will take you back to the start.

2 - Head east again then north (Under the falling rocks)

3 - Follow the symbol on the floor, you will need to use your torch ability (The space Suit) (north)

4 - Smash all the bones and then follow the symbol, not the candy cone (West), then head north again.

5 - Back at the start, head west this time

6 - Follow the symbols on the floor (requires the torch) (North)

7 - Under the darkness is an egyptian style dancer, head the way he points (east)

8 - Defeat the Repugian Guard then head the way he was guarding (North)

9 - The Trowbog god symbol, that is under the darkness is holding a candy cone, follow the symbol that is in the cone (East)

10 - follow the symbol that is on the book (South)

11 - Collect the Tomb of Trowbog, then head south

12 - Back outside now, simply head back to the elder to complete this quest.

Edited by aXah121

I'm also not exactly sure if you'd call those achievements "missable" since even if you beat the final boss you can load up your save and backtrack to get those ones. Missable generally means that once you pass a certain point you can't get them unless you start the game over again.

Fixed, changed to Non-Storyline Achievements. =P

That 1st fight is winnable. I did it on my 1st try. It is a tougher battle since I was level 10 and they were level 14 and all had around a 1000 hit points . I used the Robot, knight, and spaceman costumes. For stamps my Robot had a damage amplifier and my knight had a defense amplifier. Don't remember what the 3rd stamp was or what the names of any of them were. Sounds like that 1st fight don't have to be won to progress but as I said, it can be won.

You don't have a choice with the first battle, it doesn't let you change your costumes or stamps.

Nice to hear the battle's not completely hopeless, though it may have just been an AI quirk. It's certainly one you're supposed to lose. Was there a special scene for winning, or did it just continue as if you'd lost?

That 1st fight is winnable. I did it on my 1st try. It is a tougher battle since I was level 10 and they were level 14 and all had around a 1000 hit points . I used the Robot, knight, and spaceman costumes. For stamps my Robot had a damage amplifier and my knight had a defense amplifier. Don't remember what the 3rd stamp was or what the names of any of them were. Sounds like that 1st fight don't have to be won to progress but as I said, it can be won.

I kinda think you're full of it. Those guys hit hard as hell and you can barely hurt them.

http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/+i/Qn/1oCLiGJhbC9BCxoIG1lTIDc5L2FjaC8wLzE1AAAAAOfn5-kIJOY=.jpg

Birdbrain Beatdown - 15:gsicon:

Defeat Araxia in battle.

Reynold - Robot - Skeleton of the Wolf, Keep reynold as the main damage dealer, doing 400 - 500 per hit.

Everett - Yeti - Either Disembodied Six-Fingered Hand, or Galvanized Mummy Gauze, as you want to keep Everett alive so that he can protect the team with is Yetis' Abominable Armor, You need to use this when Big Bones is upright and glowing (Pre-attack phase), the only exception is if you have the chance to knock Araxia into him, do that instead.

Wren - Unicorn - Headless Vampire Bat - Wren is your healer for this, just use My Pretty Panacea on a member of the party who will die from getting hit, or, either dead or incredibly injured after being attacked.

Great strategy, can't believe I didn't think about using the Yeti for the balttle myself

I'm a little lost... Trying to find the Wire Mesh for the Eyeball costume...

I guess I'm not understanding the guide on where it's located at.

"Found within the cave that you need to use the grapple hook to get to (The line is just before the cave where the Track Suit material is found)."

I know the cave where I found the tracksuit material... But not sure of the grapple hook that's being mention

Edit: Scratch that, just as I posted that, I figured it out... Wasn't looking hard enough

Edited by Jediboy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...