Region locked already?

uhKillswitch

I live in Japan, but I wanted to download the U.S. version, and also put points in my account just today for it...but to my surprise, region locked OUT. I would just download the JP version, but for some reason it does not accept MS points and requires a credit card with a charge of 1000 yen. I don't have a JP credit card since they're pretty much useless in Japan, as it is primarily a cash country. Damn.

Are you sure you can't change the payment type to Microsoft Points? I didn't check, but normally when there are money amounts on the games or DLCs, you can push Y right before purchase to buy with Microsoft Points.

I would agree with you on this one if the Japanese version of this game WASN'T THE SAME EXACT F**KING VERSION AS THE US ONE! I downloaded Case West Trial with my Japanese LIVE account, and the first thing it said when I started it up was "Rated M for Mature", which is the US/Canadian ESRB rating system. In Japan, it's CERO Z. The whole demo was in English. Not even Japanese subtitles, and this was while I was playing with my Japanese account. It's the SAME GAME.

I don't feel ripped off because of ratings on this one, I feel ripped off because Microsoft is treating this game as if it is different, when it reality, it is the same game in both America and Japan. I call bullsh*t on this one.

Games created for multiple regions often have all supported languages and boot in the default system language and settings. That has nothing to do with Region Locking. If I boot Resident Evil 5 in my Japanese system I get the Japanese rating and the title changes to Biohazard 5. The region lock is dealing with how to keep content in the correct hands. You would often see Japanese ratings or content (like subtitles) based on your System settings or the contents planned release area at launch (exampe: if I downloaded Onechanbara from Japanese market I would find only Japanese rating and text [aside from some words/menus] because it wasn't developed for release outside Japan and U.S. release was a completely seperate development at a later time).

Edited by DeltaKappaEcho

Are you sure you can't change the payment type to Microsoft Points? I didn't check, but normally when there are money amounts on the games or DLCs, you can push Y right before purchase to buy with Microsoft Points.

No, Case Zero and West were locked as a yen purchase so underage players can't buy them. It is why Zero was delayed in Japan. Microsoft Japan couldn't release a title with that much violence that could be - freely with Trial - downloaded by anyone.

No, Case Zero and West were locked as a yen purchase so underage players can't buy them. It is why Zero was delayed in Japan. Microsoft Japan couldn't release a title with that much violence that could be - freely with Trial - downloaded by anyone.

Yeah. I checked that out myself before I went to bed last night. Looks like I'll have to steal one of my friends laptops and use a VPN connection again. *sigh*

I used this site last night :

http://www.hideipvpn.com/

Then Created a normal vpn connection in windows to a uk server ( where my xbox live account was created )

I share the connection in windows and then configure my xbox to use my pc's ip address as its gateway and that sorted it out.

I download the first 1% with the vpn , then disconnect and restart xbox without vpn.

Download until 99% , then connect via vpn again and get last 1%.

Been playing it now , So I hope you guys come right....

I used this site last night :

http://www.hideipvpn.com/

Then Created a normal vpn connection in windows to a uk server ( where my xbox live account was created )

I share the connection in windows and then configure my xbox to use my pc's ip address as its gateway and that sorted it out.

I download the first 1% with the vpn , then disconnect and restart xbox without vpn.

Download until 99% , then connect via vpn again and get last 1%.

Been playing it now , So I hope you guys come right....

I had to do something similar like this for Case Zero since I had points on my US Account but I'm in NZ but it's easier to just download the Trial version of the game on an account that lets you then just let it finish on the account that is getting the full game... is how I did it anyways should work fine unless the JP files is acutally different.