Personal Hardcore Tips!

DreamDevice

So finally...1000G's. Beat the shit out Hardcore like I do my wife when I get drunk, but that's not why I'm here. I'm here to actually help this time, and with that experience, hopefully help you.

So there I was sweating before it began, paced the living room a few times, made some angry phone calls, then finally got up the nerve to start. I start. Then I died right out of the gate, okay good start good start. Lets do this.

First Things First

Hardcore is NOT hard. Don't be scared I felt it was more of a 'normal' coming out of a Zealot playthrough last. So don't let people scare you here because I promise you, your downfall will be your nerves and thats a fact. Last thing you want is a pointless death because you were shaking so bad you couldn't hit the button above the decompression window.

DLC Is Your Friend, And To Some, Your Lover

I wouldn't know though it never called me back. Point is no matter what anyone says, there's a major difference between starting the game with a fanny pack full of band-aides and two tickets to Elton John, or starting out with 15 Slots and nearly every weapon and ammo instantly unlocked....and free. Supernova comes with a level 2 suit that gives you +15% Med Pack Usage and 15 Slots and Martial Law comes with a Bloody Force Gun with a +10 Damage. Here's why I say this...

Your Weapons

The only two weapons you need are a Plasma Cutter and a Force Gun. THAT'S IT! I promise. But you may say, "Well Heath what about brutes and other various nasties?" I of course would then reply with, "Wait how did you know my name!?" Again, trust me, the Force Gun feels like a cheat code throughout the entire game. Here's what I did...

Leveling

• Level your Cutter and Force without touching your rig or stasis.
  • Force before all
  • Your Force is POWERFUL, make it your priority
  • Once you have 2-3 Damage multipliers on your two weapons you can add a few on your rig but max those weapons out, preferably before Chapter 9
  • Having 3 Damage Multipliers on your Cutter will make the Tripod church sequence much easier
  • DO NOT use your Force for any sequence where you need to shoot something before your death
  • You will naturally gain Health items, focus mainly on buying nodes and ammo, lots of ammo.
  • For every fourth stasis pack, it's safe to sell the three combined and begin working on the new stasis cluster.

Why Level This Way?

Having more than these two weapons will run your ammo stash very low. I ALWAYS had 30-50 rounds in both throughout the entire game and when it ended I had 150 rounds of both. Health comes pretty easily but ALWAYS carry 5-6 packs with you at all times. Move all else to storage. I say buy more ammo because let's face it, if you NEED to use health packs your already doing something wrong. The key to hardcore is too not get touched, not even by my Uncle Rob. Im not saying you WON'T and it's okay, but if anything grabs you and your not on full health...prepare to kick the nearest animal in your general vicinity because you're going to be pissed. Your Force Gun will keep even Jesus at bay so upgrade that and you can breeze through this game with minimal effort yet large amounts of anxiety.

I ran out of things to upgrade about Chapter 11 and simply began maxing out my rig and stasis though you may not have to touch stasis at all. And don't worry about Air or Damage. You will not be impaling anything the entire night (That's what she said).

Tell Me Where To Save And Why!

Don't tell me what to do! But alas, everyone says go for the checkpoint at the disc swap and I was like TOTALLY, then died twice trying to get there due to poor judgement and zoning out. And that's good if you can do that, and anyone that can do that and get to Chapter 11 before saving is a complete shovanist dick and I curse you and whatever you get back on your tax returns.

Save Here:

Chapter 5, near the end right before Diana gets Bulletstormed because there's a scene you don't want to die at and where easy, your nerves WILL get the best of you. Sides, it's a safe bet so close to the checkpoint that if you have to leave for whatever reason your a 1/3 through the game.

Checkpoint Disc swap, sexy like rock candy baby.

Chapter 11, I saved at the beginning because I was pretty confident that I could make the drill ride problem free with my seven thousand healthpacks and if I couldn't I still wouldn't have to revert to Disc Change AND by this point I was getting nervous walking into the caverns.

Chapter 13, directly before the needle machine. Since there technically IS no Chapter 15 and I knew Chapter 14 was just running through with your Force Gun singing "Skip-to-my-loo" I assumed it would be easy if I died at the end to just quickly run through again. And that's what happened. Died running up to to the Marker and reverted to needle machine. T'was easy a second time.

My Most Feared Places, and What Was Actually The Problem Areas

Here's a list of the places that not even xanax could help me with:

• Every decompression window
  • Hanging from the train
  • The Church Tripod sequence
  • The Church Helicopter & Necro sequence
  • Tripod Elevator
  • Top floor of bird cage room (Hate that small walkway)
  • Elevator with Necros falling from top
  • Ishumura Engineering floor
  • Drill ride
  • Government Sector main door hack
  • 3 Level Red Chamber of Doom
  • The Regenerator
  • The Ex Girlfriend

Now here's a list of places to ACTUALLY fear:

• The Regenerator
  • Places where you can't safely put your back in a corner

Fear Conclusion:

Ironically none of these major areas were problems. Highly due to the fact my Force Gun could easily place any Necro's face within their rectum areas. The only time you loose a life, is carelessness and anxiety from sequence events. Don't EVER let Necro touch you and try your best not to get puked on by the frat guy who had too much to drink, no one likes that kinda action on your new pants.

Edited by DreamDevice

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gameplay Tips

Quick Triggering - Quick Triggering is something I do in a surrounded situation. Because your view moves faster while not aiming your weapon, AND because this game was made well and auto aims to your current orientation, often times in a tight situation Id drop my weapon and look to the area I want, quickly pull the aim, fire and drop it again to move swiftly towards another direction.

Remember To Heal - Remember how in the other gameplays you'd run around with a yellow rig cause you knew you were okay and didn't want to use a health pack? Yeah, don't do that stupid. HEAL everytime you get hit. There's plenty enough Health packs and Mountain Dew's for everyone at this party. Also, REMEMBER to drop your weapon to hit the B button! Nothing worse than getting hit in a fight and you pick up a tricycle instead of healing because you forgot to drop your weapon first and end up getting owned from bad breathe and a spike to the face.

Backtrack To Pickup Items -Alot of the time I would backtrack to pickup an item to sell, sell it, grab something over there, place it in storage, etc. Don't be afraid to place some things in storage real quick because your out of space just to go back and pick up a Force Gun ammo with a "1" next to it. Really Dead Space...."1 Round"? Your a dickhead.

Force gun - Imagine this, 1 shot kills throughout the entire game, then later 2 shot kills at the end? Yeah, it's like buttery cream cheat code sauce all over my body. I'd like to see the Plasma Gutter to that. Yeah that's right...I spelled you wrong. Force Gun....upgrade it.

Sequence Eye Trickery - Here's something cool, ya know those sequences where you have to shoot a pimple off a what looks like something my cat threw up? Well your aim reticule doesn't move, and often times, nor does your hit zone, the screen simply shakes back and forth, dont let this confuse your eye, make calm movements to your location and don't try so hard to refocus to an area you didn't even need to refocus too.

The Red Room - Run through it Forcing your way to the ramp hallways. Easy-Peasy.

Door Peaking - Video games are stupid and there's always a way to beat the programing. Door peaking is especially helpful when you enter a room, hang tight at the door, move quickly into the room and back to trigger a well-known necro through the ceiling event and blast from a distance. When he gets close, slam the door in his face like all your ex girlfriends did to you in the past. Same goes for lifts. It's hilarious to watch clusters of confused Necro's walk back and forth, too and away from you because you can't decide if this is the floor you want to get off on or not. This tip works especially well for the two brutes and African Necros at the bottom of the Ishumura. Trigger the Brute, haul-ass back to the door and watch a confused brute get happy and sad as you peak the door blasting him the shoulders continuously.

A Narrative Sing-A-Long - Okay try not to make fun, but in order to kill the tension, I actually talked alot to myself. And it helps. For realz. In order to relax that tense emotion that may get you killed, it helps alot to let go. Often times I would run through clusters killing everything saying, "BLAM! Your garbage, BLAM! Get shit on, CLAM! Your terrible at this game" and would on occasion sing hilarious tunes as I trudged along or make fun of situations that was happening. I found I was much more calm and focused and the anxiety would fade about upcoming events and rooms.

Room Run Throughs - You'd be suprised how many rooms you can actually run through to the next door. Stasi some kids, and haul balls to door or elevator IF, and ONLY IF you know you can do it. Again, where this is a HUGE time and ammo saver, no one wants to get to a door to wait for it to unlock and you get shot down like a desperate outlaw backed into a corner in a western shootout.

Th-Th-Th-That's All Folks!

Porky Pig. That's it, don't be scurred and if you have any questions let my secretary know because I'm out of the office next week. guys it's easy. Supa easy don't look at it like an impossible challenge you just need to play for a few hours without saving then save. How many RPG's or Multiplayer games have you done this before in!? Then again I paid EA $10 extra bucks on top of a $75 game in order to do it so who's the real winner here? Not me that's for sure. Also something smelled like cat-food somewhere between Chapters 6-8 and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what it was. Let me know if you find it...

I bid you a due friends...

Edited by DreamDevice

Where are these Supernova and Martial Law DLC packs from?

Live Marketplace my man. 5 bucks for each. you can get away with just Martial Law if you wanted cause it DOES come with a suit, but nothing beats that +15% Health Pack dealy-o

Just make sure you get that Force Gun...phew.

Hey DreamDevice. You put much effort in this. Nicely done. Although I already finished Hardcore by only using the Plasma Cutter, I read through your whole thread. Keep it up. ;)

Ah! Thank you sir! And Plasma Cutter?? Hoooly shit well at least I know the first person to go to incase of a epidemic cause my ass would be looking for some cheat codes...

Very detailed guide and well explained. Got some great tips for when I start my attempt here in a few. I don't have the Martial Law pack, but I got the Collector's Edition of the game and that has a 10% Damage Increased Force Gun so I should be set. And I like your save spots better than what I planned. May the Force...gun be with me

Dont you have to also be wearing the CE edition's suit to gain that extra damage bonus with the Force Gun?...or can you get the CE's Froce Gun damage bonus without wearing that suit?

I was under the impression the CE Force was +5 Damage but I wouldn't know my CE hasn't arrived yet.

My Most Feared Places, and What Was Actually The Problem Areas

Here's a list of the places that not even xanax could help me with:

• Every decompression window
  • Hanging from the train
  • The Church Helicopter & Necro sequence
  • Tripod Elevator
  • Top floor of bird cage room (Hate that small walkway)
  • Elevator with Necros falling from top
  • Ishumura Engineering floor
  • Drill ride
  • Government Sector main door hack
  • 3 Level Red Chamber of Doom
  • The Regenerator
  • The Ex Girlfriend

Now here's a list of places to ACTUALLY fear:

• The Regenerator
  • Places where you can't safely put your back in a corner

That much lol? I did it and only feared the drill ride plus the regenerator because there's a lot of necromorphs coming with him.

That much lol? I did it and only feared the drill ride plus the regenerator because there's a lot of necromorphs coming with him.

HAHA Yeeeeah I'm a cautious bastard. Didn't care at all on Zealot run but on Hardcore, man, I've just got a full-time job, nagging girlfriend, and little-to-no time so that driving behind only three saves freaks my brain out like the bums downtown that follow you around asking for money. If you stop paying attention for one moment you've lost your life and possibly the five bucks you had for saved for lunch.

I'm fairly good at games like this but for whatever reason Dead Space has always had cheap deaths and wtf moments with me. I fear the possibilities. lol

Sorry guys,...off-topic,...but do we even know why there is a "regenerator"? He just sorta shows up and stalks us...makes that level very hard...but why? For what?

(did I miss something?)

He first appears during the scene when you shut off the power. You can look out the window and see him walking slowly as the others rush by to kill the gaurds. He's just a nemesis, a badass, the bigger badder necromorph above all in typical game/movie form. There's no reason he's there nor story behind him other than that he's an implant within a tense moment to make your life harder.

I have some questions...

First, I always get hit in a room that's similar to the Gov security door room(where you pick-up the javelin spears schematic). I have no idea where I could camp and always get hit in there. Any tip on that ?

Secondly, at the elevator where Necros fall...Do I just stand in a specific corner ? Or do I have to move from corner to corner ?

Thirdly,should spend a node to get the power-node schematic ?Talking of schematics, does someone have the list of power-node enabled rooms that give a node or two with other things/conductors making more than 10k in total ?

Finally, you said we get a suit from a Pack (15% med kits healing with 15 slots). Is it all I need or do I have to find schematics and change suits ? Or again do I have to find schematics, pay for the armor in order to have 25% armor and 25 space ? 15 slots seems pretty low to me..