Personal Hardcore Tips!

DreamDevice

My Most Feared Places, and What Was Actually The Problem Areas

Here's a list of the places that not even xanax could help me with:

• Tripod Elevator

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but for the Tripod Elevator sequence I found that if you stand *right* in the middle of the elevator (so that Isaac's feet are both within the pentagonal / hexagonal metal floor panel), no Tripod can reach you. Or if they can reach you they take an inordinate amount of time to actually attack.

I had to play this section three times during my Hardcore playthrough (damn decompression windows!!!), and made it through without a scratch each time.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just unlocked it now, woohoo! The tips in this topic definitely helped a bunch so thanks a lot DreamDevice.

What I ended up doing for the last Zero-G section was to just keep stasising the Nest and progress my way through one fire/laser thing at a time. Once I got past that the rest was a breeze with my fully-upgraded Force Gun and Contact Beam.

Gameplay Tips

Quick Triggering - Quick Triggering is something I do in a surrounded situation. Because your view moves faster while not aiming your weapon, AND because this game was made well and auto aims to your current orientation, often times in a tight situation Id drop my weapon and look to the area I want, quickly pull the aim, fire and drop it again to move swiftly towards another direction.

Remember To Heal - Remember how in the other gameplays you'd run around with a yellow rig cause you knew you were okay and didn't want to use a health pack? Yeah, don't do that stupid. HEAL everytime you get hit. There's plenty enough Health packs and Mountain Dew's for everyone at this party. Also, REMEMBER to drop your weapon to hit the B button! Nothing worse than getting hit in a fight and you pick up a tricycle instead of healing because you forgot to drop your weapon first and end up getting owned from bad breathe and a spike to the face.

Backtrack To Pickup Items -Alot of the time I would backtrack to pickup an item to sell, sell it, grab something over there, place it in storage, etc. Don't be afraid to place some things in storage real quick because your out of space just to go back and pick up a Force Gun ammo with a "1" next to it. Really Dead Space...."1 Round"? Your a dickhead.

Force gun - Imagine this, 1 shot kills throughout the entire game, then later 2 shot kills at the end? Yeah, it's like buttery cream cheat code sauce all over my body. I'd like to see the Plasma Gutter to that. Yeah that's right...I spelled you wrong. Force Gun....upgrade it.

Sequence Eye Trickery - Here's something cool, ya know those sequences where you have to shoot a pimple off a what looks like something my cat threw up? Well your aim reticule doesn't move, and often times, nor does your hit zone, the screen simply shakes back and forth, dont let this confuse your eye, make calm movements to your location and don't try so hard to refocus to an area you didn't even need to refocus too.

The Red Room - Run through it Forcing your way to the ramp hallways. Easy-Peasy.

Door Peaking - Video games are stupid and there's always a way to beat the programing. Door peaking is especially helpful when you enter a room, hang tight at the door, move quickly into the room and back to trigger a well-known necro through the ceiling event and blast from a distance. When he gets close, slam the door in his face like all your ex girlfriends did to you in the past. Same goes for lifts. It's hilarious to watch clusters of confused Necro's walk back and forth, too and away from you because you can't decide if this is the floor you want to get off on or not. This tip works especially well for the two brutes and African Necros at the bottom of the Ishumura. Trigger the Brute, haul-ass back to the door and watch a confused brute get happy and sad as you peak the door blasting him the shoulders continuously.

A Narrative Sing-A-Long - Okay try not to make fun, but in order to kill the tension, I actually talked alot to myself. And it helps. For realz. In order to relax that tense emotion that may get you killed, it helps alot to let go. Often times I would run through clusters killing everything saying, "BLAM! Your garbage, BLAM! Get shit on, CLAM! Your terrible at this game" and would on occasion sing hilarious tunes as I trudged along or make fun of situations that was happening. I found I was much more calm and focused and the anxiety would fade about upcoming events and rooms.

Room Run Throughs - You'd be suprised how many rooms you can actually run through to the next door. Stasi some kids, and haul balls to door or elevator IF, and ONLY IF you know you can do it. Again, where this is a HUGE time and ammo saver, no one wants to get to a door to wait for it to unlock and you get shot down like a desperate outlaw backed into a corner in a western shootout.

Th-Th-Th-That's All Folks!

Porky Pig. That's it, don't be scurred and if you have any questions let my secretary know because I'm out of the office next week. guys it's easy. Supa easy don't look at it like an impossible challenge you just need to play for a few hours without saving then save. How many RPG's or Multiplayer games have you done this before in!? Then again I paid EA $10 extra bucks on top of a $75 game in order to do it so who's the real winner here? Not me that's for sure. Also something smelled like cat-food somewhere between Chapters 6-8 and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what it was. Let me know if you find it...

I bid you a due friends...

I agree 100%! I just beat Hard Core with the Plasma Cutter,and the Force Gun. Upgrading is key!

I fail probably 5 times in chapter 10 at the second monster encounter before the zero gravity sequence. Making it from disc swap to chap 11 is impossible imho.

I practiced chapter 6 like using stasis on the first brute if I got a bad running start. And hugging the doors to open up next rooms to stop encounters early. Finally got through first disc with zero saves.

Save 1: Disc swap

Save 2: Chap 10 after 2 brutes.

Save 3: Chap 12 start

Save 4: Last objective of Chap 13 the drill machine.

And what mess ups did you learn on the Ishimura in chap 10 to get this achievement?

Dear lord, I'm having the hardest time getting past the Zero-G section in Chapter 14 with the Nest launching exploding cyst-like creatures at me. I have everything else down to a T but that part always screws me over. I've tried to rush though it and dodge them but one or two strays end up hitting me and knocking me into the lasers. How did everybody else get past this section?

I use the Stasis ability spammed on the nest and wait until after I am free of the lasers before firing. The plasma cutter horizontal or alt fire of force gun is fine dps. You can use the LB to dodge the small cysts then Stasis and return fire at the nest. I would not recommend firing at the small cysts ever. dodge and heal to full and stasis attack.

Like another poster mentioned..getting from 8 to 11 is a total pain. I have been using the Cutter only and was going to stash the contact beam for the end. I guess I'm curious if I start upgrading the Force Gun (CH8) will I have enough nodes to get the Alt fire completed for the contact beam later? I'm curious how much someone was able to upgrade each weapon when they have used more than just the cutter and force gun.

I have been doing this w/o dlc and I know I can do it, but it's pretty annoying...haha.

Dear lord, I'm having the hardest time getting past the Zero-G section in Chapter 14 with the Nest launching exploding cyst-like creatures at me. I have everything else down to a T but that part always screws me over. I've tried to rush though it and dodge them but one or two strays end up hitting me and knocking me into the lasers. How did everybody else get past this section?

This had me worried but with enough plasma cutter ammo anything is possible!! :woop:

I hung back before the first laser set on the left. Wait for the spiny bastards to either hit the laser or go by then duck out each time and just spam the creature. It's sacks should be visible in the distance somewhat. Lower risk but uses tons of ammo. Didn't get hit once.

So long as you hug the wall on the left the spiny bastards will not hit you, they'll hit the giant laser mechanism thingy.

Like another poster mentioned..getting from 8 to 11 is a total pain. I have been using the Cutter only and was going to stash the contact beam for the end. I guess I'm curious if I start upgrading the Force Gun (CH8) will I have enough nodes to get the Alt fire completed for the contact beam later? I'm curious how much someone was able to upgrade each weapon when they have used more than just the cutter and force gun.

I have been doing this w/o dlc and I know I can do it, but it's pretty annoying...haha.

To give you an idea of how much I was able to upgrade in my Hardcore playthrough:

Stasis (fully upgraded)

RIG (all but the last 2 HP nodes)

Plasma Cutter (damage and special nodes only)

Force Gun (fully upgraded)

Contact Beam (fully upgraded)

I sold everything and bought power nodes with any spare money. I didn't buy the Advanced Suit so I had even more money. I used the Riot Security from beating the game once just to get the max armor and 25 inventory slots and immediately switched to the Bloody Vibtage Suit for the entire game. So yes I had plenty of nodes to upgrade everything I wanted to.

I own the Dead Space 2 Collector's Edition and I have a save from Dead Space so I started the game on normal at the first shop with

Refurbished Plasma Cutter

* Special Upgradw node which lights enemies on fire

Zealot Force Gun

* Not sure about special ability if any

Zealot Armour

* + 5% or 10% Force Gun damage, + 15 Armour, 15 Inventory slots

Nail Gun

* Preorder bonus from Gamestop, not sure about abilities, never used it because the code was on the reciept which I found after beating the game on normal

I think all of this should get me by fine once I reach the first shop without having to purchase additional DLC.

I actually believe in the PC + FG combo as it was all I used in normal, all the other weapons were too slow or combersome. I did use the line gun a lot and the contact beam towards the end. Even though the contact beam's alt fire is cool. I tended to forget to use it.

I died the most at and I think will give me the most trouble during hard core.

Tips and clues if any would be great.

* The bosses (Mostly due to suprise and shot perfection)

* The scene were you are rocketed back to the station and you have to dodge all the debrie (What stage is this? Where is it in relation to the disk switch?) I am hoping it won't be a big hold up.

* The laser room ( Once I found out how to pass the area I was fine)

The area post drill ride ( The drill ride was tough, but health helped me out and the force gun) I am talking about the area after talking to the chick and then there are some steps and then all the necros come in)

* Eyeball (Surprise)

* Blck dude boss (Surprise)

* Girlfriend (Bitch be gone spray via FG)

Anything after this I think I am okay.

My biggest concern is how much time I need to allow to get to my first save assuming the save will be post disk swap and at or around chapter 10.

When I played through normal I checked everything and proceeded slow taking an hour or more per chapter.

How much time do you think I would need to allow to

Start from Chapter 1 and save during chapter 5 if needed.

Start from Chapter 1 and get to the disk swap in case I need to break or leave and leave the xbox on waiting ...

Start from chapter 1 and get to Chapter 10 where I believ the brutes are.

Thanks a bunch for any advice.

Currently I am running an impossible game on Dead Space 1 too help get the tension build up off of me for Dead Space 2 hardcore mode.

I am also reading Dead Space Matyr...a very good read indeed.

Thanks,,

HA

I own the Dead Space 2 Collector's Edition and I have a save from Dead Space so I started the game on normal at the first shop with

Refurbished Plasma Cutter

* Special Upgradw node which lights enemies on fire

Zealot Force Gun

* Not sure about special ability if any

Zealot Armour

* + 5% or 10% Force Gun damage, + 15 Armour, 15 Inventory slots

Nail Gun

* Preorder bonus from Gamestop, not sure about abilities, never used it because the code was on the reciept which I found after beating the game on normal

I think all of this should get me by fine once I reach the first shop without having to purchase additional DLC.

I actually believe in the PC + FG combo as it was all I used in normal, all the other weapons were too slow or combersome. I did use the line gun a lot and the contact beam towards the end. Even though the contact beam's alt fire is cool. I tended to forget to use it.

I died the most at and I think will give me the most trouble during hard core.

Tips and clues if any would be great.

* The bosses (Mostly due to suprise and shot perfection)

* The scene were you are rocketed back to the station and you have to dodge all the debrie (What stage is this? Where is it in relation to the disk switch?) I am hoping it won't be a big hold up.

* The laser room ( Once I found out how to pass the area I was fine)

The area post drill ride ( The drill ride was tough, but health helped me out and the force gun) I am talking about the area after talking to the chick and then there are some steps and then all the necros come in)

* Eyeball (Surprise)

* Blck dude boss (Surprise)

* Girlfriend (Bitch be gone spray via FG)

Anything after this I think I am okay.

My biggest concern is how much time I need to allow to get to my first save assuming the save will be post disk swap and at or around chapter 10.

When I played through normal I checked everything and proceeded slow taking an hour or more per chapter.

How much time do you think I would need to allow to

Start from Chapter 1 and save during chapter 5 if needed.

Start from Chapter 1 and get to the disk swap in case I need to break or leave and leave the xbox on waiting ...

Start from chapter 1 and get to Chapter 10 where I believ the brutes are.

Thanks a bunch for any advice.

Currently I am running an impossible game on Dead Space 1 too help get the tension build up off of me for Dead Space 2 hardcore mode.

I am also reading Dead Space Matyr...a very good read indeed.

Thanks,,

HA

Honestly, the biggest tip is to watch a youtube video of where everything spawns. I haven't used anything other than the cutter up until CH11. I can't offer timing advice as I have yet to complete my last portion. Up to CH11 I'm at 5 hours, and that's taking my time.

Thanks so much DreamDevice.

I wasn't really planning on using the force gun at all as I'm a hardcore plasma-cutter man but the force gun makes a lot of tight binds a little better to crawl out off.

I died at least 12-15 times on the last stretch from early chapter 13 to the end but I finally beat it by spending my money wisely and knowing where the enemy spawns. I was so damn glad when I finally beat hardcore.

So thank you and now it's time to climb onto the top 10 speedruns and finish zealot :woop:

Your humor has made me decide to tackle this grand feat in an all-nighter tonight! Wish me luck for I shall not rest until the PEWPEWPEW is MINE!

Also because the last guide I looked at said to use the Ripper. I dislike being close enough to an enemy where they can kill me while I try to cut them.

Edited by Frank_The_Bison

I heard about a trick for infinite Detonator ammo (which you can repeatedly sell for infinite money) when you have either the Supernova or Martial Law pack.

Can anybody with the appropriate DLC confirm if this works? Here's how I understand it:

1) Get a free Detonator from the store.

2) Fire all of the mines.

3) Use TK to pick them up.

4) Sell the now empty Detonator back to the store (you won't get any money for it), and buy another.

5) Repeat until your inventory is full of Detonator mines, and then sell all of them (you get money for them).

6) Repeat the whole process.

It sounds time-consuming, but if this does indeed work, this will be a HUGE help for beating hardcore, as it means that you can buy all the power nodes, health, and ammo you want.

Edited by monkeymischief

managed to do hardcore the other day wasn't so bad didn't really die last few levels which i thought was going to be the worse.

on hardcore the brutes and tripods where prolly my main concerns they took a huge chunk of my ammo to down, i upgraded full hp and full stasis so i could deal with heavy dealers like that.

mostly used the force gun and plasma cutter first 7 levels after that i mostly went forcegun and contact beam. force gun fully upgraded and contact beam mostly don't in alt fire.

used the contact beam on boss mobs mostly brutes as it owned the hell out of them.

died at chapter 4 and 6

(4)died to the stupid gunship i didn't think it be so quick at firing and the video i sore he made it easy) note to everyone at gunship go right or you'll regret it :p.

(6)i died to the guardian just before the disk swap, i thought id be pro and run in and force gun all its tendrils at once, but i got splattered, got bless my save at 5.

(13)Near death i had was on this chapter, i took huge damage while the ubermorph was chasing me, not sure where it came from but i used several med packs well running through quickly, i was left with a red bar till the last bench which wasn't fun.

good tips thanks a bunch.