Konami customer support comments on luck affecting chest drops

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/castlevaniaharmonyofdespair/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-58083350&pid=997663&tag=topics%3Btitle

Screenshot of the answer: http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/8942/konamianswer.png

Thank you for contacting Konami Support.

Any item that increases your luck stat will help with the possibility of getting a rare drop. This doesn’t mean you will get a rare drop if your luck stat is high as it only helps. The probability of a drop for many rare items is very low and there is no way to guarantee yourself that a specific rare item will drop.

The luck stat does not stack and it is the character that triggers the drop whose luck applies to the chest. That said it is beneficial for all players to have their luck stat high as it increases the possibility of a rare drop since any player who triggers the drop in a party will have high luck.

Unfortunately there is no more information provided to us by the developer that reveals Drop Rates or the specific effects of the luck stat other than the information provided above.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair is a throwback to the early days of video games and therefore posses some of the same difficult challenges of that era. For this reason some items may be hard to obtain. It is not the intention of the developer to frustrate players, but to add value to the rare items that players collect.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Best Regards,

Konami Support

Hours of Operations: Monday - Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm PST

Good to know :) I almost gave up on the luck thing...I do however think you have to do the whole level with LCK on. I tried doing the "put LCK on after you've killed the boss" trick and it wasnt working at all. I played the whole of CH10 again with 51 LCK and I got feather boots straight away. Fair enough it took an extra 4-5 minutes but I do think this matters

In the videos I posted, which we were averaging about 1 rare drop per run of 6 players, each of us equipped our luck gear after the battle. That's enough for me to believe that it only matters when opening the chest.

Remember though, luck only helps improve odds, but doesn't guarantee them. I think part of the problem is that when people are looking at luck, they're looking for immediate results individually. They see themselves not getting the drop, and don't take into consideration their teammates acquired something rare.

All we know for certain is that luck matters. Even the wording of Konami's reply is ambiguous at best (it might not necessarily mean what people assume it means). At the same time, the question asked to Konami is flawed. Even though luck matters, does anything else need to be taken into consideration to improve odds also?

How did people figure out that 1 Luck = 1/10% increase to begin with? It would be nice to see some confirmation for rare drops percentage table for each chapter (Valmenway +1 = 3% or something). There has to be some way for the game to actually determine what can and can't be in a chest and have a RNG to see if you get it.

It would be ghetto if there was a RNG, but the number that each item got was random each time as well. (I.E. one run Valmanway +1 is 12,15,76 out of 100, but next run it gets 43, 56, and 99 as the three spots it can be rolled for)

Thank you Vampyr for posting this. I knew luck had some factor not just a wasted attribute. Now I gotta show my friend and rub this in his face, since he always runs at most 5 LCK.

I really think what matters is what the trigger is. If we can deduce that, 5 luck might not necessarily be bad, if you can remove your friend from the equation. The question to ask is what is necessary to maximize your odds at rares?

With Ebisu Raiment equipped I was getting way more appearances of rare items. Since equipping it I managed to get Sonic Boots and 2 Miser Rings as well as a few Robe Decollete's and Royal Crown's, Alucard Sword and even Claim Solais (or whatever its called) all in just 2 days. Prior to that (before equipping it) i spent a week or 2 and couldn't get anything. IMO it does make a difference - at least for me.

There's one weapon that seems to be extremely rare and that has alluded me though even now - Alucard Sword +1. That seems to be an exception for some reason...

There's one weapon that seems to be extremely rare and that has alluded me though even now - Alucard Sword +1. That seems to be an exception for some reason...

I agree here. This is the only weapon I've had touble getting using luck. Well that and Sinestro (sp) Custos. I spent months trying to get some of these rares and within the last 3 days I have everything but these 2 things.

I really think what matters is what the trigger is. If we can deduce that, 5 luck might not necessarily be bad, if you can remove your friend from the equation. The question to ask is what is necessary to maximize your odds at rares?

Not trying to be rude or start an argument, but isn't the first quoted sentence saying an item with LCK will help with rare drops. Correct me if I'm wrong, and not going in depth, wouldn't that mean when playing with him I should open the chest with 55 LCK rather than his "5".

Straying a little off subject, I finally got my first Claimh +1 (with 55 LCK).

Not trying to be rude or start an argument, but isn't the first quoted sentence saying an item with LCK will help with rare drops. Correct me if I'm wrong, and not going in depth, wouldn't that mean when playing with him I should open the chest with 55 LCK rather than his "5".

Straying a little off subject, I finally got my first Claimh +1 (with 55 LCK).

Grats on your Claimh +1.

Oh, I don't dispute luck. I've changed my mind significantly since actually trying to test it in a more controlled state with eliminating as many variables as possible.

As I stated earlier, as for your friend and yourself, it really depends who the trigger is. All Konami stated was that the trigger was the individual whose luck applied to the chest. They never stated who was the trigger, or how one would become the trigger. But if we could find out that answer, then all you would need would be one luck mule (provided the trigger wasn't a randomly selected player for when a chest was opened up).

Having N -1 contributers to a boss fight will typically go over better than having 1 contributer with N - 1 luck mules.

Well, apparently Konami responded that the trigger was the person who killed the boss. We tried it a little tonight, and while not nearly enough data points, it seems to be consistent with our all luck runs.

It still appears that the luck is applied when opening the chest, so you don't need to kill the boss with the gear on, unless it's chapter 11. What we've been doing is having our main group of players wear down the boss, and our luck mule come in for the finishing blow.

The main problem with this is that sometimes, you judge the hp of the boss incorrectly, and either your low luck damage build kills the boss too quickly, or the boss has a ton of hp left, and the high luck character gets killed with no life waters remaining. (Remember, our goal is to have either Maria or a Soma with max luck get the final kill, even if everyone can change into luck gear after the battle. Who knows what the effect of 10+ luck really is...).

With last Konami statement(the one who kill the boss affect drop luck chest) I finally understand why it was more fast farming level with full Luck Gear alone.

But even with Luck Gear my most difficult to get was the Ebisu Raimnent.

With that news who will play with someone with no mics telling he is the one with full Lck. I am happy to have all the rare cause I dont like playing with the headset too much :)

The Hard way of the Luck solo run paid me very well.

Edited by RocketGuy