IS it possible to delete achievements that you earned?

mrniconi

Just lock this thread already..It's clear that no one wants to discuss this topic any further.

I more than kind of agree.

Anyhow, for games you haven't played before, just unhook your xbox and play them offline. They'll disappear when you recover your gamertag when back online.

If you've played them online, well you're stuck with them, time to hang up OCD compulsions at the door.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone is that obsessive or OCD over their achievements....well I have nothing to say to that.

It really annoys me when people say that they have OCD with achievements. If anybody knows anybody who actually has OCD or has worked with sufferers it is nothing like just wanting to get 100% completion...

Just lock this thread already..It's clear that no one wants to discuss this topic any further.

If we no longer want to discuss it we'll just stop posting. ;)

Locking threads should be reserved for when things get out of hand and people need to cool their tempers.

Otherwise it's rude and akin to interrupting someone elses conversation and telling them to shut up.

It really annoys me when people say that they have OCD with achievements. If anybody knows anybody who actually has OCD or has worked with sufferers it is nothing like just wanting to get 100% completion...

Good point...that term is thrown around so loosely but idiots who have no idea what it really is.

OT: Take a strong magnet and hold it next to your hard drive...DONE achievements erased.

If we no longer want to discuss it we'll just stop posting. ;)

Locking threads should be reserved for when things get out of hand and people need to cool their tempers.

Well, to be fair, this topic is started about once a month-- and I'm probably being generous there... it might be more often. It's been discussed to death. I don't even think it can be classified as beating a dead horse anymore... this horse has been beaten so much, that it's disintegrated into dust.

And again -- it has absolutely no effect on your ability to earn achievements on your games or participate in whatever competitions you want. If someone in your competition is deleting their game history, you still have options available -- disqualify them. Problem solved.

So you would like to have a completion percentage that you didn't earn? And what the fuck are these competitions you keep talking about. I take pride in keeping my comp % up if anyone could just delete achievements to get a higher percentage then it would be nothing special. You say you want to take pride in having a high percentage, well so do the people who currently have that. And you contradict the shit out of yourself.

It would ruin it for those people who do it competitively.

How?

Do you think people would put a gun to your head and force you to use it?

It would be just like any other feature. If you don't like it, DON'T USE IT. Just because you don't want to use a feature doesn't mean it shouldn't be available to those who do, especially when it would have absolutely no effect on you, your ability to play, your ability to earn achievements, or your ability to compete with others.

Why don't you just put in the extra effort to 100% games instead of wanting the easy way of deleting incompletes...

And what about the ones that cannot be completed?

So you would like to have a completion percentage that you didn't earn? And what the fuck are these competitions you keep talking about.

What on earth are you talking about?

The ones I'm arguing with are the ones bringing up the competitions, not me. I keep saying that this feature would have absolutely no effect on them at all.

I take pride in keeping my comp % up if anyone could just delete achievements to get a higher percentage then it would be nothing special.

How? How does what I do affect your ability to play or complete games?

If you go 1000/1000 in Halo, and I play the game and delete it after earning 3 achievements, that doesn't change the fact that you still earned 1000/1000, nor does it change your completion percentage at all.

And really.....you allow other players to affect how proud you are of your own gamerscore or completion percentage? Really? You have some self-esteem issues that need to be worked out.

Personally, I'm proud of my own gamerscore and couldn't care less about yours or anybody else's. How another player gets their gamerscore or maintains their completion percentage is of no concern to me. Why are you concerned about how your score measures up against a bunch of random strangers?

You say you want to take pride in having a high percentage, well so do the people who currently have that. And you contradict the shit out of yourself.

Not a single one of you has been able to explain how a person being able to delete their own achievements negatively affects you or your ability to earn achievements or maintain a completion percentage.

All you guys have basically said that you're so unsure of yourselves that you need to validate your own gaming abilities by comparing them to others. Seriously, guys. It's a game, not a dick measuring contest.

Play your games, earn your achievements, and stop giving a shit about what other players are doing.

You really don't like being on the wrong side of the sword, do you?

I'm not.

A whole bunch of people shouting "hurr durr i don't like it therefore nobody should be able to do it hurr durr" doesn't make them right.

How would you feel if you got to 100,000G then someone hacks your account and deletes all of your progress? I bet you'd love the system then.

If someone hacked my account, their ability to erase my gamerscore would be the least of my concerns.

Dude, shut the fuck up.
Yep. You got me. I'm sure as hell going to take everything you say seriously after this mature and well thought out start.

Conclusion: probably 99% of the time if the servers shut down and you're left with achievements that are impossible to get it's your own fault for being stupid. There are reasons that would be out of people control though.
http://nizkor.org/features/fallacies/hasty-generalization.html

Again:

People do not dedicate the same amount of time to gaming as you do.

People do not play games or earn achievements for the same reasons as you do.

People have different goals than you do.

People have the right to request features that they think would be useful, especially if those features have absolutely no effect on you.

"I don't like it, therefore nobody should have it" is not a valid argument, and quite frankly an attitude that you should have outgrown in first grade.

Edited by ChromiumDragon

A whole bunch of people shouting "hurr durr i don't like it therefore nobody should be able to do it hurr durr" doesn't make them right.

Well, yeah... but a lot of people saying "I like it therefore I should be able to," doesn't make THEM right, either.

There's no "right" or "wrong" side of this argument... just a lot of points made by either side that can be disputed by the other. For example:

Point: I should be able to delete achievements and get 100% completion that way.

Counterpoint: That taints everyone else who has a high completion rate legitimately.

Point: Well what does that matter? It doesn't change your gaming experience at all.

Counterpoint: Well, keeping things the way they are now doesn't change your gaming experience at all, either.

Etc., etc., etc. Running around in circles forever.

And for the record, I'm not arguing in favor of either side.

No more "stupid" than being against something that would have absolutely no effect on the way you play games or earn achievements just because that player happens to play games/earn achievements for different reasons than you do.

Not everybody is in it for the competition. And if you're against deleting achievements.....don't delete them. If they were to implement such a feature, nobody's forcing you to use it.

Not exactly something I would lose any sleep over. It's not like I'm hacking games to get achievements I've never earned.

Why not? Because you said so?

I prefer not wasting what little time I can allot to gaming by playing a game on a second profile first.

Or they could just add an option to delete them, which would accomplish the task of being able to delete achievements that I never earned in the first place.

Again, some games cannot be completed. Servers shut down. Achievements glitch. Shit happens. Not all of us have the ability to buy games on release date and spend 24/7 grinding them out.

All this would accomplish is giving players a way to clean up their gamercards. Given how often this topic comes up on here and other boards, I'd say it's a pretty popular request. Again, nobody would force you to use it, and if you're judging others on what is or isn't on their gamercard, then quite frankly, that's pretty sad. What the hell do you care if I delete every achievement I've ever earned ever? How does that affect you in any way, shape, or form?

Red: First of all, you can't unachieve something because MICROSOFT SAID SO!

Blue: You're saying not everyone is in it for competition. Well then why the hell would those people even care about deleting the achievements? For the people who are in competition, it would be stupid because it would no longer be a competition (for completion). So really there is absolutely no need to get rid of gamerscore.

Orange: Well if you are going to get upset for getting achievements in a game that you no longer want, it is a small sacrifice to play on another account.

Purple: Yeah that would go over well. Add the option to delete gamerscore so on the rare occasion when someone else gets you gamerscore you dont want you can delete it? If it is such a big deal to you to NOT earn certain achievements then make another account for your friend to play on or make a password for you account! Same goes for the previous thing I said (Orange).

Green: If the game can't be completed DON'T PLAY THE GAME on your gamercard. Play it on a different account. If you dont know that some achievements are glitched or the servers shut down, take a look on x360a, and you can find the answer in a few minutes.

Bold: How often this topic comes up? Uhm it doesn't come up that much actually. And for the times it does, everyone who posts USUALLY disagrees, therefore making it not that popular since it is in the minority.

Also, you say it is sad to judge others on their gamercard. Sure maybe it is, but if that is the case and you are saying you shouldn't judge someone on their gamercard, then WHY do you care what is on your gamercard. That makes absolutely no sense. Are you ashamed or afraid what others will think of your gamercard?

As for the whole how does it affect him whether you delete your achievements. Well if the option was added, a majority of people would use it which therefore would ruin competition and the people who had a high completion legit would be no different than someone who deleted their achievements to get a high completion. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference. /Bold

The thing I dont get is why do you want to delete your achievements when from all your points, you make it seem like it doesnt matter what is on your gamercard. Highly contradictory.

Edited by Venomized

chromiumdragon, i wholeheartedly agree about pretty much everything you say. i achieve 100% completion purely for my own benefit too.

to those just arguing against it for the same old stupid reasons need to understand a few things

1. people can just as easily now get 100% in anything by adding all the achievements. its no different yet people are still quite happy to compete with others despite the fact these people are about.

2. you can still have your precious competitions. someone with 54 complete 10 incomplete vs someone with 50 complete because he deleted all the incompletes. the person who deleted is losing that competition. i dont understand why that is difficult. Its simply a matter of changing it to how many completions you have compared to the current total percentage.

3.someone choosing to remove games really has nothing to do with anyone else. why would it matter to you that someone deletes games. the only person effected by that is the guy deleting the time he put into something

4.no one is going to hack into your tag to delete your achievement history.If someone goes to the trouble of doing that they would probably be more interested in something like your credit/debit card details than some dudes achievements.

5. because people end up with unwanted games on their profile be it because of someone going on the wrong profile,a game you just didnt get into, servers are now closed, doesnt make them stupid or ignorant. Things like this happen. and as much as you try to prevent it it happens. i have gameroom on my tag. was i aware that would achievement pop on load up..nope.

6. deleting achievements in games you dont want t o complete is no more negating the purpose of going for 100% than selecting what games you play in the first place. And not everyone has the mindset that they think they are cheating themselves if they want to remove an unwanted game. They simply want to 100% games they want to play.

7. again it doesnt really effect people who dont care about it in the first place so why so against it?

chromiumdragon, i wholeheartedly agree about pretty much everything you say. i achieve 100% completion purely for my own benefit too.

to those just arguing against it for the same old stupid reasons need to understand a few things

1. people can just as easily now get 100% in anything by adding all the achievements. its no different yet people are still quite happy to compete with others despite the fact these people are about.

2. you can still have your precious competitions. someone with 54 complete 10 incomplete vs someone with 50 complete because he deleted all the incompletes. the person who deleted is losing that competition. i dont understand why that is difficult. Its simply a matter of changing it to how many completions you have compared to the current total percentage.

3.someone choosing to remove games really has nothing to do with anyone else. why would it matter to you that someone deletes games. the only person effected by that is the guy deleting the time he put into something

4.no one is going to hack into your tag to delete your achievement history.If someone goes to the trouble of doing that they would probably be more interested in something like your credit/debit card details than some dudes achievements.

5. because people end up with unwanted games on their profile be it because of someone going on the wrong profile,a game you just didnt get into, servers are now closed, doesnt make them stupid or ignorant. Things like this happen. and as much as you try to prevent it it happens. i have gameroom on my tag. was i aware that would achievement pop on load up..nope.

6. deleting achievements in games you dont want t o complete is no more negating the purpose of going for 100% than selecting what games you play in the first place. And not everyone has the mindset that they think they are cheating themselves if they want to remove an unwanted game. They simply want to 100% games they want to play.

7. again it doesnt really effect people who dont care about it in the first place so why so against it?

The same old stupid reasons? Hmm sound familiar. The same thing is happening with your reasons.

If you read my post above it will answer most of the things you said. But it does affect other people. I don't understand how you can't see that.

People deleting achievements would perhaps go down in competition for the highest gamerscore, but not for completion. And everyone knows completion looks good. And is hard to do.

As for the people who just add achievements, you do know they get banned or their gamerscore reset sometimes? And that those group of people are a very very very small portion of the gaming community. What a stupid point to make.

Last but not least, learn how to use CAPITALIZATION.

Well, yeah... but a lot of people saying "I like it therefore I should be able to," doesn't make THEM right, either.

But here's the issue.

The ones who are arguing in favor of this feature are arguing in favor of something that would have zero impact on those who choose not to use it. Players competing with each other can still do so and simply disqualify anybody caught deleting achievements, just as I'm sure they would if they caught someone otherwise altering their completion percentage.

The ones who are arguing against it are asking solely because they think it will somehow taint their "competitions", ignoring the fact that the ones who would use this to cheat at these competitions are likely already cheating anyway. So in order to maintain a level of "integrity" that may not even exist in these competitions at all, they want to deny others a feature that other players may find useful.

Point: I should be able to delete achievements and get 100% completion that way.

Counterpoint: That taints everyone else who has a high completion rate legitimately.

See above. There are countless ways to alter your completion percentage already. Kinda hard to "taint" something that's been tainted in far worse ways for years now.

Point: Well what does that matter? It doesn't change your gaming experience at all.

Counterpoint: Well, keeping things the way they are now doesn't change your gaming experience at all, either.

It gives me a way to clean up my own gamercard.

I have now found someone new to make it in my top 3 idiots that I have come across on in forums. Perhaps 1st place.

I stopped reading here. While I'm sure some people will pat you on the back and inflate your e-penis for you, I have no intention of having any kind of discussion with people who think that just because they don't like something, nobody should be able to have it and resort to insulting anybody who tries to say otherwise.

See above. There are countless ways to alter your completion percentage already. Kinda hard to "taint" something that's been tainted in far worse ways for years now.

But there's a pretty big difference between going against Microsoft's Terms of Service agreement, and risking a complete wipeout of gamerscore, vs. something that Microsoft could officially put into practice.

It gives me a way to clean up my own gamercard.

Indeed it does. However, you said earlier that you didn't care about other people's completions/gamerscore. Why should they care about yours? It's a two way street, after all.

Again, though, I want to reiterate that I'm not singling you or your views out personally, nor am I for or against this policy either way. I'm just saying that there's an endless debate for either side.

ChromiumDragon, as you don't seem to want to answer my post (24)... specifically the first and last points..

You can't un-achieve something.

Why not? Because you said so?

Ok, What i actually meant had nothing directly to do with this argument, or anything else. :p

You can't un-achieve something, only correct it.

Eg. You tie your shoe laces. Now you realise you wanted them undone.

You can correct the mistake but you can't not have done them up in the first place.

Deleting your achievements equates to correcting a mistake. However, should you be allowed to correct this mistake? Would you burn the certificate you were given after gaining a qualification? if you did you'd still be qualified so the only reason to do it would be to hide the truth from others? Why if you don't care?

Microsoft says no and i see no reason to argue with them. They've given you tools to stop others using your profile so that's no excuse.

Games can no longer be 100%d? If you care that much buy the games less than a year after release or research old games before you buy. It's not hard.

The point of all this randomness?

You achieved the achievements. Deleting them doesn't change that fact so all you're doing is deceiving yourself and others. Why would you feel good knowing you have 100% completion if you had to do that to get it?

Edited by H2O

before this is going any further: ChromiumDragon, you misunderstood my post at the start of this thread, leading to this ridiculeous discussion.

-> I was not talking about actual competitions, but about competitive gaming. I am a gamer who is gaming competitive with other arcade gamers, who try to have a high (above 100 games and above 90%) arcade game completion.

What I was talking about is, think about how we hardcore gamers would feel, if we suddenly would be compared with some 'cheats', who have a 100% 'earned' completion through your 'feature' without ever putting any real work into it, other than deleting off all the unwanted games.

Of course, we wouldn't HAVE to compare ourselves with them, but everyone else would do and leaderboards would just become obsolete. Now how about that?

I stopped reading here. While I'm sure some people will pat you on the back and inflate your e-penis for you, I have no intention of having any kind of discussion with people who think that just because they don't like something, nobody should be able to have it and resort to insulting anybody who tries to say otherwise.

Oh I am not insulting you because you're saying' "You should be able to delete achievements." You're entitled to that. Sure I don't like that idea, but I don't hate it.

I insulted you because of your ludicrous reasons. If you actually read the post, you will understand and might even have an epiphany.

Edit: There I edited my post. I took anything that would be considered "insults" out of my post.

Edited by Venomized

ChromiumDragon, as you don't seem to want to answer my post (24)... specifically the first and last points..

Ok, What i actually meant had nothing directly to do with this argument, or anything else. :p

You can't un-achieve something, only correct it.

Eg. You tie your shoe laces. Now you realise you wanted them undone.

You can correct the mistake but you can't not have done them up in the first place.

Deleting your achievements equates to correcting a mistake. However, should you be allowed to correct this mistake? Would you burn the certificate you were given after gaining a qualification? if you did you'd still be qualified so the only reason to do it would be to hide the truth from others? Why if you don't care?

Microsoft says no and i see no reason to argue with them. They've given you tools to stop others using your profile so that's no excuse.

Games can no longer be 100%d? If you care that much buy the games less than a year after release or research old games before you buy. It's not hard.

The point of all this randomness?

You achieved the achievements. Deleting them doesn't change that fact so all you're doing is deceiving yourself and others. Why would you feel good knowing you have 100% completion if you had to do that to get it?

This, lets say you beat chapter 1 of a game and get an achievement for this. Your card now shows that you beat chapter 1 because of the achievement. If you can delete your achievements your gamercard information is incorrect because you did in fact beat chapter 1.

I also don't see how it is so much of an issue if you can't delete your achievements. It is an incentive to get the most out of games or to go back and replay them(exception being games with servers shutdown).

What I was talking about is, think about how we hardcore gamers would feel, if we suddenly would be compared with some 'cheats', who have a 100% 'earned' completion through your 'feature' without ever putting any real work into it, other than deleting off all the unwanted games.

Of course, we wouldn't HAVE to compare ourselves with them, but everyone else would do and leaderboards would just become obsolete. Now how about that?

Yet you have no problems being compared to cheats who have hacked their way to a high gamerscore?

My gamerscore on here isn't worth mentioning. My trophy count on PS3 would be the rough equivalent of a 35k gamerscore, give or take a couple thousand. Despite being 100% legitimate, even I get the occasional moron accusing me of cheating at one game or another.

If the leaderboards haven't become obsolete through the countless ways that are already available to raise your gamerscore (and therefore your completion percentage), I'm pretty sure that they won't crumble into dust by implementing a feature that would lower it.

As I stated in a couple of other posts, the ones that would use this to cheat and bump themselves up the leaderboards are most likely the ones who are already cheating by any one of the god-knows-how-many ways that are already available. An otherwise honest player isn't going to suddenly become a cheater just because you add one more way into the mix.

If a player can make it high enough on these leaderboards to even matter, then it's likely they have the skills necessary to complete the game anyway and would have no reason to cheat. If they do, not only are they losing a gamerscore, they're also losing the time invested in that game, which could put them behind by days, weeks or more depending on how these competitions are structured and the game in question. Simply put, if they're in a position where they have to do this to 'improve', they've already lost.

If the player is on the low end of these competitions, then erasing incomplete games isn't going to matter. Would anyone really care if randomgamer12345 went from 100th to 96th place by deleting 3 or 4 games? If the player is high enough where the completion of 2 or 3 games matters, then either (a) they're not going to cheat at all and earn their spot legitimately, or (b) they can use other ways of cheating their way up the ladder.

Yet you have no problems being compared to cheats who have hacked their way to a high gamerscore?

Yes. everyone here has a problem with hackers. Why do you think we don't? :confused:

Hackers get banned. :eek:

Indeed it does. However, you said earlier that you didn't care about other people's completions/gamerscore. Why should they care about yours? It's a two way street, after all.

I'm not saying they should.

what I'm saying is that they shouldn't be against something that has no effect on them, their games, or their competitions.