Travel achievements

VonThronstahl

hahaha this is a classic. I assume youre supposed to be on a train or something. or i suppose you could post your phone to yourself ?

For the speed one ill try and throw the phone down on my bed or something or stick it in the blender.

What have we become?

At first I thought that it meant that you had to move your character a certain distance in the game... no wonder I could make no sense of the speed one. :)

These have to be the dumbest achievements ever, even worse than just pressing start. Sit on a train, on your arse, and get an achievement for it?

If the phone can sense such things, what about:

"Score over 10,000,000 whilst bungee jumping from a cord attached to a Boeing 747." 5g.

hey dont give them any ideas.

It picks up the gyro and GPS to show your distance (what this has to do with centipede i have no idea)

Ill throw my phone across the room later see if i can hit 35/mph for a 20g chiev. Never thought id see the day.

hey dont give them any ideas.

But you cannot deny that it would be an *achievement*. :)

It picks up the gyro and GPS to show your distance (what this has to do with centipede i have no idea)

Ill throw my phone across the room later see if i can hit 35/mph for a 20g chiev. Never thought id see the day.

I think that jumping down the stairs should do it. I will try it tonight, when I get home. Or throwing myself onto the bed.

A friend of mine suggested throwing the phone out of the window, and he will catch it.

For the distance achievements, I quite like the idea of attaching my phone to my cat, and letting it do the work for me. Although it would probably lose my phone. That is how I lost my last one.

Else... what about attaching a piece of string to the ceiling near an open window, tying it to the phone, and then the breeze will move the string... would that count as 'distance travelled'?

I am pretty sure that *somebody*, *somewhere* will break their phone trying to get this one. Yes, you could wait until you are in a car or on a train, but where is the fun in that? :)

This has me in tears.

What about a spin cycle on the washing machine? Id have to ask the misses though iv no idea how to do it and will end up washing it. best check with my insurance plan to make sure I'm covered from such achievement hunting.

This has me in tears.

What about a spin cycle on the washing machine? Id have to ask the misses though iv no idea how to do it and will end up washing it. best check with my insurance plan to make sure I'm covered from such achievement hunting.

There is only one word for such an idea... genius. Because then you not only get the distance achievements, but maybe the velocity one as well! I can see only one, obvious, flaw in your plan. The game will pause if unattended. Hmmmmm. Can you fit into your washing machine? Or your wife?

I was thinking about the kitchen too... MICROWAVE! Yeah, I know. This plan fails on the velocity requirement.

I am downloading the game now. I will report back. If my phone still works after this.

I already got all the 3 achievements based on the location service (speed, travel during one game, travel acummulate).

Yes, they use the location service on your phone (that uses triangulation on service antennas) to locate you and determine distance and speed in real life.

No, you do not need to drive while playing the game! ;)

Use the game on a bus, train or as a passenger on car.

Or simple do as I did. On the car (stoped) start the game, leave it alon on the passenger seat, drive around as you normally do and later on when you stop again you will have the achievements. Just remember to restart the game once in a while, while on stop signals, for exemple.

Yes, sad news... the accelerometer is not used for the velocity achievement, or so it seems. :( I tried dashing around the house last night, to no avail. I even jumped down the stairs. Scared the hell out of my wife. Nothing.

All of the travel achievements unlocked for me on the train this morning.

So, Arron, turn off your washing machine, and I will sadly unplug the microwave... our dream is over.

I'm a bit gutted actually . we put so much creativity into it all and all we had to do was leave it in the back of the car.

I walk to work so picture me running down the road this morning trying to hit 35/ph and get a quarter of a mile whiteout dyeing(in life and in game).

Nothing. But I did get to work earlier.

This is stone cold evidence achievements are improving my life.

All I can say is , bring on pitfall!!! those crocodiles (cats) are going to get hurdled.

I'm a bit gutted actually . we put so much creativity into it all and all we had to do was leave it in the back of the car.

I walk to work so picture me running down the road this morning trying to hit 35/ph and get a quarter of a mile whiteout dyeing(in life and in game).

Nothing. But I did get to work earlier.

This is stone cold evidence achievements are improving my life.

All I can say is , bring on pitfall!!! those crocodiles (cats) are going to get hurdled.

My wife got so pissed off with me running around the house last night, that she told me to go and do it in the street instead... but at that point I was suspecting that the achievements were GPS based... and I don't think I could hit 35 mph over distance. Not even Ursain Bolt could. :)

A real missed opportunity... would have been so much fun if the game had used the accelerometer to calculate the speed. Maybe next time! :)

Oh... your Pitfall idea... "Jump over 20 crocodiles while jumping in real life." Oh please, oh please, oh please... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Getting a headache over this, I found the perfect solution. I will take the underground and just travel to anywhere and back while playing this. Would use the same time anyhow for playing and I don't pay for the underground - so wth. Afterwards I'll repeat the tour for Asteroids and Pitfall^^.

But really, I thought it was ingame speed and tried again and again and wondered, how I could get fast enough in Asteroids, without hitting a meteor...

Getting a headache over this, I found the perfect solution. I will take the underground and just travel to anywhere and back while playing this. Would use the same time anyhow for playing and I don't pay for the underground - so wth. Afterwards I'll repeat the tour for Asteroids and Pitfall^^.

But really, I thought it was ingame speed and tried again and again and wondered, how I could get fast enough in Asteroids, without hitting a meteor...

A stupid question, maybe, but... will the GPS function underground? I didn't think that it would for some reason? Let us know how it goes!

When I first saw the achievements for Centipede I too thought that it referred to in game activities... no way is Mr Gnome ever gonna go that fast! :) So you are not alone. :)

A stupid question, maybe, but... will the GPS function underground? I didn't think that it would for some reason? Let us know how it goes!

When I first saw the achievements for Centipede I too thought that it referred to in game activities... no way is Mr Gnome ever gonna go that fast! :) So you are not alone. :)

It did not! Was traveling two hours stupidly for without getting any achievement! Took the bus to university today and got the distance achievement, but not the velocity (it doesn't drive faster than 40kmh) - so, next thing will be to take the overground one day, probably thursday. should unlock then.

• 3 weeks later...

My suggestion would be to get someone to drive for you as you go somewhere 6 to 10 miles away. Maybe you can bribe someone with a movie or something? As an aside, is it just me having problems with the controls on this thing and is there any way to adjust settings on the "trackball"? I know you can adjust the tilt sensitivity but that doesn't appear to be doing me any good either.

Velocity is pretty tough and only unlocked on one of the game's for me until now. Not even the fast train, which should travel a lot faster than 35mph is good enough for the achievement. Only got lucky on one of the games. Driving in a car sadly is out of the question. No one I know of here doesn't even have a car.