So the deal with Cave Johnson was *BIG SPOILERS*

Roshan

I completed the game yesterday and I didn't really understand what the deal was with Cave Johnson and Caroline.So he put caroline's "brain" in Glados and he died after that ?And what was the purpose of the tests that they made after all ?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The purpose of the tests is scientific advancement. In the Half-Life world Aperture is Black Mesa's immoral competitor. Expect things from Portal 2 to play a main role in Half-Life 3. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Chell and maybe even GlaDos make significant appearances in HL3

Well, Cave's dying wish was for his (or if he died sooner than he thought) or caroline's brain to be preserved for ever, since he needed someone to run the company, and putting someones brain on a CD (if we could put music, after all) seemed like the right thing to do

It also seems like, from the portrait, that Cave and Caroline may have had a little affair or something, not sure.

I thought that it was pretty funny to see the number of test subjects dwindle.

First, there were people like astronauts and olympians doing tests (around the repulsion area), then hobo's for $60 (around the propolsion area), and then he had to do the tests on the workers, including himself (around the portal-placement gel)

Cave Jhonson is the C.E.O of aputure or was when you hear Cave talking those are his pre recorded messages and Caroline/GLaDOS were his assitant yes they were the same person beacuse Cave wanted Caroline to be the new manager of the company so she could live forever they put her brain into a robot or something like that now she is the potayo on your portal gun.

The purpose of the tests is scientific advancement. In the Half-Life world Aperture is Black Mesa's immoral competitor. Expect things from Portal 2 to play a main role in Half-Life 3. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Chell and maybe even GlaDos make significant appearances in HL3

Yeah I reckon the portal gun will be in Ep3

It also seems like, from the portrait, that Cave and Caroline may have had a little affair or something, not sure.

I thought that it was pretty funny to see the number of test subjects dwindle.

First, there were people like astronauts and olympians doing tests (around the repulsion area), then hobo's for $60 (around the propolsion area), and then he had to do the tests on the workers, including himself (around the portal-placement gel)

That cracked me up as well.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Johnson and Caroline are Chell's parents.

damn that would be amazing!!! since they put in a little bit of references to Half Life in there, Black Mesa and The Borealis. I wouldnt be surprised if chell does make a appearance, however isn't this story (portal2) years after portal1? Because apparently portal1 took place during half life. Or the other way around. Not to sure!! D: damn valve and their crazy story shenanigans. -____-

Don't shoot me if I'm wrong, but this is what I got from the game.

Cave Johnsen was nearing bankruptcy with Aperture after having to pay for missing astronauts or something of that nature. He buys moonrocks, grinds them up and becomes deadly ill. He believed that inputting someones intelligence and personality on to a disc should be as simple as putting music on to it. So he built GLaDOS and frequently had to shut her down to avoid her killing everyone with deadly neurotoxin. The portal calamity of Half-Life 1 happened and GLaDOS killed everyone, as everyone was too busy dealing with the disaster above.

Cave Johnsen was nearing bankruptcy with Aperture after having to pay for missing astronauts or something of that nature. He buys moonrocks, grinds them up and becomes deadly ill. He believed that inputting someones intelligence and personality on to a disc should be as simple as putting music on to it. So he built GLaDOS and frequently had to shut her down to avoid her killing everyone with deadly neurotoxin. The portal calamity of Half-Life 1 happened and GLaDOS killed everyone, as everyone was too busy dealing with the disaster above.

This is what I thought was going on. But then again, I haven't played Half-Life games in a couple years so the storyline is a little fuzzy. I know that they mentioned Black Mesa and they had some kind of tie to Aperture, so I assumed that Half-Life and Portal tied together somehow.

If only all of Half-Life 3 featured Bill, Chell, Gordon Freeman, and Alyx Vance. Oh, and they added zombies. Then the Valve games all would have the crazy storyline tied together ;)

Yeah I reckon the portal gun will be in Ep3

I kind of hope it won't. Half Life and Portal share the same universe, but gameplay wise they are different. I think Valve would have to be very clever in their design of Ep3 to make sure the portal gun wouldn't feel too tacked on/ not right. But than, they're so amazing, I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled it off!

did anyone else notice that they jumped from GLaDOS not knowing who Caroline is to suddenly it being known that she was Caroline?

I think they cut some dialogue out.

I think it was hinted at cause Potato Glados was saying how she knew Cave and recognized the name Caroline. But yeah, they never straight out said it was her.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Johnson and Caroline are Chell's parents.

It still seems very well possible. We don't really know the time-line or the advancement rate of technology from "Old" Apeture" to "new", so it's very well possible. A couple things actually potentially point to it.

Given the suggested romantic involvement between Caroline and Cave, they could have possibly had an illegitimate child (or ever more likely married and had a child outright at some point.) It would be a perfect way to top off the immoral nature of Aperture to have the founder's own child trapped and experimented on so many years later.

On top of that, Glados toward the beginning tells you she found two people with Chell's last name. This is possibly just her usual goading, but in a way Glados could've very well realized that actually finding said names would be meaner in the long run. Even though a name like Johnson is common, the chances of having a man and woman of the same name stored in the Aperture database is less likely and would suggest them being her parents.

Glados obviously wouldn't remember being Chell's mother since the Caroline bit was completely phased out, hence not having guilt for doing the testing, but Caroline herself would never have wanted that for her child, which may very well explain the origin of attaching cores to her to control her thoughts.

Nextly, when Glados has come to realize her origin and Wheatley starts calling you fatty and adopted, she comes to your defense in an uncharacteristically mother-like manner, but remains insistent on your being adopted. This seems like a possible protective cover. Given everything she's put Chell through, she wouldn't want Chell to know the truth.

Going based off of the last part, this would explain why Glados decides to save Chell from space, nurse her back to health, deletes the "guilty conscious" Caroline, and frees Chell into the real world. She could very easily have just killed her or eradicated her. Her programming would've demanded more testing be done, but she went against all of that and did the humane things to the lone surviving human in the entire facility

Being the child of Cave and Caroline would potentially explain why Chell is so smart and able to solve all of the tests and outperform two A.I's that are in charge of an enormous robotic facility filled with gun turrets, bottomless pits, and spikey-death platforms.

Of course, this is all just speculation. Most likely I'm looking way to far into it, but if you look between the lines the answers are all there and if they choose to they very well have the ability to consistently work that into the story without any retcons.

I think he went bankrupt because he kept funding ridiculous and useless science experiments and kept subjecting his subjects to "Gasoline Blood", irradiated Lobby seats, and unknown elements that don't like the human skeleton. That's a lot of lawsuits, medical expenses, etc... Plus he was too open with firing his staff and a number of other personality flaws (Like making more messages because he was warned to stop making messages.)

Also, he may have started working on Glados himself, but at the time he had intended it to be himself. After he died, the eggheads finished it and uploaded (forced) Caroline's mind into it. They had trouble getting Caroline to cooperate because of the forced nature and started adding personality-altering modules to her mind and she slowly disappeared as Glados surfaced (than went apeshit and killed everybody.)

As far as we know Apeture still exists throughout the world after Glados's rampage, but that facility is abandoned and they're probably screwed a while after that by the events of HL1.