Is it worth my while..?

AruEdinburgh

Hi folks,

I'd like the opinion of people who actually managed to play this game right the way through to the end. Basically, is it worth my while?

I was a huge fan of the original trilogy - Alone in the Dark 2 is one of my all-time favourite games - and I even quite liked "The New Nightmare".

I'm just having extreme difficulty getting into this one though. I desperately WANT to like it but the controls are really annoying me. How ironic is that, given that the combat system for Alone in the Dark 2 is clunky as hell? I think that the reason I could stick with AITD2 and not this, however, is that a). you can forgive a lot due to the era it was released in; there's really no excuse for clunky controls these days, and b). AITD2 had fixed camera angles, so there was none of this camera-confusino that seems to be plaguing me with the XBox game.

So what do you think? Am I being too harsh and should I stick at it, or should I just accept that it isn't going to live up to my expectations?

Cheers, in advance,

Al

Thanks guys, I took your advice - blitzed through it in the past couple of days, got 1000 gamerscore. I actually kinda enjoyed it. A bit frustrating to think though that if they had just spent a bit more time ironing out the bugs it would have been a much more enjoyable game that would have reached more people.

Thanks guys, I took your advice - blitzed through it in the past couple of days, got 1000 gamerscore. I actually kinda enjoyed it. A bit frustrating to think though that if they had just spent a bit more time ironing out the bugs it would have been a much more enjoyable game that would have reached more people.

thats great and i hope the next one will be better if they have learnt anything from that alone in the dark.

silent hill downpour is coming along great.

• 5 weeks later...
I think I wanna get this game now. I keep seeing really cheap deals on it and after reading how horrible the controls and glitches were, I think I wanna get it even more now, just to see how bad it really is lol.

I just picked it up a couple days ago and i dont think its that bad the storyline is pretty good and interesting like how they made it a movie almost the sound it AMAZING the controls are not even that rough if u played jumper u will not struggle with this at all and if ur good at video games u will adapt to the controls pretty easily. The driving sequences are actually terrible im not gonna lie......but besides the driving i think the games decently good. I have played much worse for achievements lol

• 2 months later...
Are the controls really that bad or is it just something you have to get used to?

In my opinion, it is the controls that let the game down, particularly in the early stages of the game. If you can stick with it through chapter one and force yourself to play chapter two, however, the game becomes quite enjoyable. That was my experience of it, anyway! Although the problems with the controls do cause frustration at various other points in the game as well.

• 2 weeks later...
In my opinion, it is the controls that let the game down, particularly in the early stages of the game. If you can stick with it through chapter one and force yourself to play chapter two, however, the game becomes quite enjoyable. That was my experience of it, anyway! Although the problems with the controls do cause frustration at various other points in the game as well.
The controls and camera pissed me off so much I traded it for peanuts.

Only played until car park worm thing kept killing me.

Maybe should have played on but just could not face the dispair.

I'd rather boil my head in poo.:(

• 2 months later...

I loved the intro and thought the game would be promising. I was wrong. It was annoying as hell to play and the achievements made me throw my controller a few times. I don't see any case where someone would think this game is really fun. I got it for the achievements only and I hope to never see that game again. Just my opinion though.