Operation Flashpoint Red River Review

Yeh not bad at all. I also enjoyed the game though I don't play games online any more I think it would be a good experience. I was not a big fan of the firefight missions to be honest and rarely played them but the campaign was well done. I think it will attract some new gamers to the franchise provided they weren't scared away from the original which was pretty unforgiving even on normal (though that was kind of the point to it).

It's not a good review, too many 'in my opinions' and 'from my point of view' in a review YOU wrote so it's obvious it's your opinion. Also 8.5? The game is a 7 at best even more so when you take into account how far they have taken flashpoint from it's military sim predecessor (not to mention no vehicles).

You mention the a.I being fine but don't say how the enemy will stop in there tracks if you fire a shot at them, basing a review on personal opinion is also the wrong way to approach it, you need to be un biased and argue both sides of the coin for each aspect.

I also find that not finishing a game gives you a very very bad starting to review a game, if you did it with brutal legend before encountering the boring rts parts you'd have felt a fool after all film reviewers wouldn't watch half of vanilla sky then bugger off but give it a 2 because they didn't understand it.

Bashing cod fans is a no no aswell reviews shud inform not mock other games and potentially alienate it's players.

You also mention bad language not being as bad as the killing and tell people to 'have a woe with themselves' even though were killing empty shells but racial comments are being chucked about left right and centre such as 'crazans', 'Chopstick using m** f**s' etc etc which will affect many people, granted it adds to the game but not granted you thinking it won't cause offence.

Hope I helped

Edited by Frankyg88

Good review, have to agree that co-op takes this game to a whole other level. After getting through the first act with AI buddies no problems, the second act had been cursing more than Knox at how inconsistent the AI is. Sometimes my teammates would line up behind a wall or sandbags and just land every shot. Then other times they refused to stay in one spot and kept running in and out of cover not firing a single bullet.

Played my first mission last night with 3 other people and have to say this is where the games shines. After 2 or so minutes we were working as a team, talking each other through each objective and rarely getting shot. I've played a lot of FPS online and usually people just talk about the game in general or even discuss something not related to the game entirely but last night it felt like the 4 of us were actually in combat, calling out positions or screaming for assistance because someone had 1 enemy left in front of them and was forced to reload..

i would give it 9/10 only parts where it loses out is joining games problems sometimes, more maps on combat sweeps for example, would have liked a hardcore achievement, and finally the host being able to kick people out plus along with team killing spoilt it a bit, people sometimes tried to either kick u out or team kill u to remove from the game just before the end.

yeah?? name one?

For me Dragon Rising had a better range of missions, it also had more than one night mission! I never had to listen to knox talk shit for minutes whilst I travel on a hummer at the start of every mission either. I really enjoyed both games but the absence of night missions was a big let down for me.

• 2 weeks later...
6/10

Dragon Rising was better in so many ways

Amen to that. However, I wouldn't even give it a 3, the game is just awful. The entire game felt like the OFP team was struggling between whether to create yet another crappy want-to-be CoD or a real game, like Dragon Rising. If they'd have kept the more challenging aspects that made DR so great, I'd be game, but as is, the download isn't even worth being kept.

im loving the way theyve added in some cod-like elements, such as leveling and different 'classes' to choose from. i also like the fact there are less glitchy shit, even though there is still alot of glitchy shit

the campaign was meh, compared to dragon risings . . all the missions are the same, take this , defend that, fall back here where as dragon rising was class like follow the commander in cover then drop a bomb on his ass and extract without even being found. . . or sabatage the fuel depot at night. . . but i love the fte's especially last stand . . .

also they shouldnt have took the vehichles out,, and it seems MUCH easier than dragon rising which again sucks. .

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, I am just glad other people like the game.

The fact that it is not your typical cod shooter is a great thing, it weeds out all those brainless morons that have an attention span of a gnat and their whole life consists of stabbing the same person in the back constantly and teabagging them to try and achieve some sort of feeling of power that so dramatically lacks in their daily life.

Though the game is much more user friendly and much easier to get into and get used to, I still think it stands up to most current games and still has the edge and contains that epic combat that doesnt need action music or scripted dramatized moments to get you excited, it does it all on its own.

I do agree it is a large leap forward from the previous game, though I loved Dragon Rising ALOT, mostly the unique and epic missions. The controls and movement and general gameplay was quite difficult to live with. Especially how there was hundreds of glitches, especially in the co-op section. Red River doesnt seem to have many if any at all glitches. None that I have seen ruin my experience.

Infact the only thing I would change about the game is reduce the delay it takes you to fire after being hit, It is extremely annoying when getting hit in CQB fights and you are just sat there with your ass in the breeze because the enemy AI is too quick and accurate.

Also it would be nice if they brought back the knife or a melee, allow propper stealth again. I also wish you could keep your pistol as well as 2 primary weapons like the first game. It would also be nice to have some more missions or FTE maps.

Overall though I am pleased with this game, the main problem was I wish this was out for the US at the same time as the UK, I would have loved to have played it to death with my mate.