Achievement Discussion

JuSt BLaZe

I guess this would go here?

I need tips for Sif. I can get him to just under half or so HP each time I fight him but end up dying. I've watched Youtube videos and it looks like he stands still a lot more for them and they're rolling under attacks that are hitting me. That could all just be wrong but is there any tips other than standing close to him because that isn't working for me?

Sif is a really easy boss if you know how to approach the fight and are properly prepared. He is very weak to pyromancy and lightning damage. So if you have a fully ascended flame +5, use Great Combustion, Great Chaos Fireball, Giant Fireball, Firestorm, and Fire Tempest. Any combination of those will wreck his health bar.

If that's not an option, try to get a high level lightning weapon. If you haven't made it to Anor Londo yet, you can get a lightning spear from the mimic in the bottom of Sen's Fortress. If you want to tank him, you'll need a high stability shield and heavy armor to avoid damage. Any greatshield and Havel's Armor/Stone Warrior Armor/Smough's Armor will work great here.

For faith builds, you can hit him with a barrage of Lightning Spears and Sunlight Spears. Sorcerers can assault him with Crystal Soul Mass, Crystal Soul Spear, and other spells. Any high level DPS spells will be very useful against this boss.

If you're not able to use any of those strategies and are more of an agile fighter, you can use the Dark Wood Grain Ring with low equip burden from equipping light armor. The invincibility frames from the "ninja flip" will make his swirling attacks worthless. You can also combine this strategy with a buff build. Using a fast weapon like the Balder Side Sword or a katana with darkmoon blade, sunlight blade, crystal magic weapon, or gold pine resin will decimate him.

Hopefully these tips will help you. :)

Here's more information from the wiki for you to use.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Great+Grey+Wolf+Sif

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/sif-the-great-grey-wolf/

Good luck.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Blood. I'll try the last option first. Then if I don't get it to work here I'll head to Sen's Fortress since I haven't done that. I guess I'll have to ring the second bell first though.

Sounds like a good choice. I wasn't sure how far along you were in the game. You really don't have to fight Sif at this point unless you want to. If you're really struggling against him, you can grind in the Darkroot Garden. (I'm assuming you used the shortcut with the Crest of Artorias instead of going the long way around.) You can run circles here by the hidden bonfire to rack up 6,000 souls (7,000 if you include the optional Bandit in every run. I wouldn't since he can get stuck and mess up the pathing of the other enemies.) in under a minute. Do that for as long as you want until you can level up and buy everything you want. This is an excellent way to max out the pyromancy glove in the first few hours of the game if you're having a very hard time. You can also use this method to do insane level grinding so you can walk through the game with no problem.

I wouldn't recommend doing that on your first playthrough though. A large part of the enjoyment of the Souls games comes from the struggle. The feeling of accomplish you get after triumphing over a boss or area that you've been stuck on for ages is amazing. It's a very rewarding game because of that. :)

Here's a link to a really great guide that might help you if you get stuck. I love this guy's videos. He has a lot of excellent Dark Souls content. I highly recommend watching his stuff. It helped me a lot on my first few playthroughs of the game.

Here is the video showing how to do the grinding method I mentioned earlier.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StJnxGSu3_k&list=PLTaOHX8kEkD4Uh62ZXtLsccBQ_6b3VaLP&index=7]Dark Souls Walkthrough - Darkroot Farming and The Moonlight Butterfly - YouTube[/ame]

EDIT: Just bear in mind that if you follow this guide, be conscious of the fact that this was made before the latest patch. So the DWGR has been nerfed. So you can no longer use it with heavy armor like Seraphim does. But the advice he gives is still very accurate and helpful.

Edited by BloodGodAlucard

Thanks Blood. I'll try the last option first. Then if I don't get it to work here I'll head to Sen's Fortress since I haven't done that. I guess I'll have to ring the second bell first though.

Something I would like to note, that I had insane trouble with Sif especially my first playthrough, latter 2 times were cake though. The difference for me was getting a shield with 100% physical block.

Once you get through Sen's fortress talk to the merchant in the tower at the end of the fortress, (you have to jump a gap to get to him) buy the Balder's shield from him. It has 100% physical block as long as you have the endurance to block it and since Sif does only physical damage. That type of shield is great for her.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the help. I killed him a few days ago.

Which Greatsword of Artorias is the better option?

Congrats on killing Sif. :)

That's really a matter of personal preference. Here are the stats for each one. Give them a look and decide which will benefit your build more.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Greatsword+of+Artorias

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Greatsword+of+Artorias+%28Cursed%29

I like the non-cursed version personally. But you really need to spec a build completely around using it because of the scaling. If you don't, then you won't get the benefit of the maximum DPS. They each have their own strengths that are unique to them too. The non-curse sword deals extra damage to Darkwraiths while the cursed version deals damage to ghosts. So you'll no longer need transient curses to engage them. That's true of any cursed or ghost weapon though. So that wouldn't be a deciding factor for me.

• 7 months later...

ok.. got my estus flask issue sorted out.. didn't realize certain bonfires only restore certain amounts of flasks.. still learning!

of course I just bought soul arrow.. but i can't seem to use it.. I have the required int of 10.. and i set it to an attunement slot.. any advice?

Edited by Xenolith666

ok.. got my estus flask issue sorted out.. didn't realize certain bonfires only restore certain amounts of flasks.. still learning!

of course I just bought soul arrow.. but i can't seem to use it.. I have the required int of 10.. and i set it to an attunement slot.. any advice?

You need a catalyst to use sorcery. Just like pyromancy takes the pyromancy flame and miracles require a talisman. Equip it in your hand of choice and hit the appropriate bumper. Enjoy. :)

Ah, Dark Souls virginity. I remember my first character; putting points into resistance, not attempting the hard-as-nails catacombs in a timely manner. Yes, those were goooood times.

I love this game.

I am super n00b at this point.. though I've been doing so much research into the game (you kinda have to) otherwise I'd be running in circles. I'll sort out the magic bit.. not really going with a magic build.

and I'm assuming that a NG+ everything carries over? weapons, armor, levels, everything? I'm already worrying about missing weapons.. didn't get the gargoyle tail weapon.. killed him too fast =x

and I'm assuming that a NG+ everything carries over? weapons, armor, levels, everything? I'm already worrying about missing weapons.. didn't get the gargoyle tail weapon.. killed him too fast =x

yes, almost everythign carries over, only your keys and key items disappear as well as the smith boxes(bottomless stays).

Here is a usefull link on that matter.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/New+Game+Plus

Cool, thanx! Lotsa useful info on the wiki.

on a side note, this game can be so unforgiving sometimes.. I've been doing tons of research on this game. Just went back to the Asylum.. got my ass kicked by that demon after falling through the floor.. lost 50k souls I had stacked up.. finally killed him and got 20k back.. am on to sens fortress now.. got knocked off a walkway, lost the 20k souls i just had.. but got mostly through sen's fortress, got the serpent ring and am currently farming eyes of death for the covenant to get it out of the way, and humanity from the rats in the depths. and back up to 100k souls.. sux 1 skill point costs over 10k now. loving the game though

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey guys I was just looking for some people to play with and start getting some of these achievements. I also have a lot of questions about the game and how things work if there are any veterans willing to give me some help I would appreciate it.

My gamertag is S E T L O R D (spaces between each letter)